Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge told to explain Minson comment

If the AFL wants the general public to have any respect for the umpiring fraternity they should throw this out. Situations like this will only serve to inhance everyone's hatred of the umpires. They ended Curley's career with his suspension he never played the same again

2. Likes SonofScray, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A message to AFL Victoria, I don't believe our coach stuttered. If you need an explanation of his comments you are as dumb an organisation as your parent and have confirmed to me the game is stuffed.

4. Likes Twodogs, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    A message to AFL Victoria, I don't believe our coach stuttered. If you need an explanation of his comments you are as dumb an organisation as your parent and have confirmed to me the game is stuffed.
    I like that "did I stutter" statement. It leaves nobody in any doubt.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is he will get three weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Surprised and disappointed by some of the comments on here. I know Minson is one of our own, but I'm not sure his actions are justifiable here.

He clearly doesn't just tap the umpire on the shoulder, the umpire is running past him so he's too quick for that. Based on multiple posters reports who actually witnessed it they both say it was forceful and followed by swearing so it was clearly out of frustration.

Comments like "the umpire is just trying to make a name for himself", "How can he get weeks for this and Fyfe get a fine for tripping", "the umpire must have been scared or something", or "so you can hit someone in the gonads and get off but if you lay a fingernail on an umpire it's a suspension" miss the key point. Hitting an umpire is completely different to hitting a player and is never ok.

I'd be surprised if they don't make a statement and rub him out for a few weeks, it is not a good look for the game and contrary to some others opinions needs to demonstrate that umpires are respected. Laying a fingernail on an umpire is and should be a suspension, with only very few exceptions. This is not one of them.

Unfortunately Will in this case has lived up to his "dumbest smart bloke" tag, and it's likely to cost him when he was finally in line to win back selection.
    Last edited by soupman; 26-05-2015 at 08:50 AM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes jeemak, SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I wonder if Bevo's comments reveal a degree of guilt in his condemning the best ruckman to play in the two's week after week, while a poor shadow of an understudy gets mediocre game after mediocre game, culminating in a boilover incident for which Minson is now in the dock.
    I wouldn't have thought so. AFL is a ruthless game and new coaches don't tend to have much emotion for players they've just begun to coach, especially when they aren't doing what is wanted of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wouldn't have thought so. AFL is a ruthless game and new coaches don't tend to have much emotion for players they've just begun to coach, especially when they aren't doing what is wanted of them.
    Yep. The Wil playing in the seconds is just the price of doing business. Nothing personal, no one needs to feel bad about anything except losing games of football.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, a rule is a rule. In Cricket, if you touch the ball, you are out. It's a clear cut rule. Everyone knows the rule in AFL and there isn't a gray area for it. Three weeks is pretty stiff but umpires cop a lot, they are hard to develop and recruit, - AFL is doing its best to protect them.Three weeks seems incredible compared to what other stuff get lets through, but it is what it is.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well, a rule is a rule. In Cricket, if you touch the ball, you are out. It's a clear cut rule. Everyone knows the rule in AFL and there isn't a gray area for it. Three weeks is pretty stiff but umpires cop a lot, they are hard to develop and recruit, - AFL is doing its best to protect them.Three weeks seems incredible compared to what other stuff get lets through, but it is what it is.

Unless you're Stuart Broad.

13. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    "I didn't think there was much in it but we will argue that at the tribunal as is the process"

as opposed to

"It's disappointing. It's pretty laughable, really,"
    "It would stagger me if anything happened in regards to it"
    "Something has gone drastically wrong if it's not thrown out straight away"

Which do you think wouldn't challenge the tribunal? At the moment I think those comments could work against Will.
    But he isn't a VFL coach - so why can't he say whatever he likes? If Ash Hansen had spoken out, then I could understand him getting in trouble...but Bevo isn't coaching in a competition where the charge has been laid/is being assessed.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes Sedat, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But he isn't a VFL coach - so why can't he say whatever he likes? If Ash Hansen had spoken out, then I could understand him getting in trouble...but Bevo isn't coaching in a competition where the charge has been laid/is being assessed.
    In fact Ash was asked and he said he can't comment because he is a coach.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If Beveridge came out and potted junior league umpires he watched on a Sunday afternoon (assuming we weren't playing at 13:20) the AFL would send him a "please explain".

It's just what they do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If Beveridge came out and potted junior league umpires he watched on a Sunday afternoon (assuming we weren't playing at 13:20) the AFL would send him a "please explain".

It's just what they do.
    Issuing please explain letter is one of the few things they excel at.

19. Likes Ghost Dog, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't at the game, so I have only seen the (poor) video evidence.

As I see it this shows Will moving right to left, rather slowly and head down. The umpire then runs left to right, crossing at an angle to Wills path. In fact if Will had not of almost stopped the umpire might well have run into him.

He may not have seen or expected the umpire to run across his path, and the hand may have been an involuntary reaction.

In the interests of disclosure I am a Big Will fan, but IMO if that video is the only evidence then he should get off without suspension.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Issuing please explain letter is one of the few things they excel at.

You'll probably get one now.

22. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post