Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge told to explain Minson comment

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has been sent a "please explain" letter from AFL Victoria following his call for Will Minson's report for making contact with an umpire to be thrown out.

Meanwhile, Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has also weighed in on the matter, telling Triple M on Monday: "I think I've pushed peas to the side of my plate harder than Will Minson did any pushing yesterday".

Minson was reported by three umpires – two field and one boundary – just before half-time during Footscray's massive VFL win over North Ballarat at the Whitten Oval on Sunday.

The 30-year-old ruckman was celebrating after kicking what he believed was a goal, when the field umpire told him it had been touched.

Minson then made contact with the umpire as he ran by, and was subsequently shown a red card and reported.

"It's disappointing. It's pretty laughable, really," Beveridge said after the Bulldogs' 39-point loss to Melbourne later on Sunday afternoon.

"It would stagger me if anything happened in regards to it.

"Something has gone drastically wrong if it's not thrown out straight away.

"Over the course of my career I patted umpires on the back, I talked to them with my hand on their shoulder and there's always a rapport between players and umpires and I think this one just took it the wrong way.

"As he went past, Will just touched him, really, as he went past. There's nothing in it so I'm not really sure why the reaction was what it was."

But an AFL Victoria spokesman confirmed to AFL.com.au the Tribunal hearing would go ahead at Ikon Park on Tuesday, where the three reporting umpires will give evidence.

And a "please explain" letter has been sent to Footscray general manager Ben Graham following Beveridge's comments.

Minson's report is the first for making contact with an umpire in the past seven years in the VFL, although cases of accidental contact have seen fines handed down in that time.

Minson's case will be heard by a three-member AFL Victoria Tribunal on Tuesday.

A suspension would come at the wrong time for Minson's stalled AFL career, after Beveridge praised his "terrific" performance prior to being sent off and said the ruckman would be in contention for a recall against Greater Western Sydney.

The 2013 All Australian has played the past four games in the VFL after being dropped following the Dogs' round three loss to Hawthorn.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge told to explain Minson comment

Watched the video and it looked like nothing. The umpire must have a bee in his bonnet.

Maybe his been scared before by player connect.

It is a bit of a joke but Will will be made an example of.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Is he allowed to tell AFL Victoria to get ****ed in his reply?

4. Likes Go_Dogs, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Watched the video and it looked like nothing. The umpire must have a bee in his bonnet.

Maybe his been scared before by player connect.

It is a bit of a joke but Will will be made an example of.
    I've said this before it probably depends on what Minson was saying at the time and what his demeanor was, if he was aggressive then he'll be rubbed out. The way the VFL have come out like this sounds like they will anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I've said this before it probably depends on what Minson was saying at the time and what his demeanor was, if he was aggressive then he'll be rubbed out. The way the VFL have come out like this sounds like they will anyway.
    It hard to judge from the armchair, if he verballed as well it won't go well.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    As he lashed out, he shouted *!*!*!*! off loudly.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo shouldn't have made the comments and I can why he has been asked for a please explain.

As for Will, time already served plus one week is how I think it should play out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So you punch someone in the gonads and get off, and yet a figernailon an umpire is a suspension ?
    World's gone mad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo shouldn't have made the comments and I can why he has been asked for a please explain.

As for Will, time already served plus one week is how I think it should play out.
    Do you think he should have perhaps said he thought there was nothing in it rather than going on and on or replied "no comment"?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    As he lashed out, he shouted *!*!*!*! off loudly.
    Correct. I heard that and saw that, too. It was an angry, & aggressive reflex response. I know he's our boy, but he clearly did the wrong thing.

Having said that, I'm pleased that Beveridge and Gordon are publicly supporting their man. Just as Alex Ferguson did with Eric Cantona 20 years ago. Nonetheless, it doesn't change what happened. Will made a bad mistake and needs to take his medicine.

12. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Correct. I heard that and saw that, too. It was an angry, & aggressive reflex response. I know he's our boy, but he clearly did the wrong thing.

Having said that, I'm pleased that Beveridge and Gordon are publicly supporting their man. Just as Alex Ferguson did with Eric Cantona 20 years ago. Nonetheless, it doesn't change what happened. Will made a bad mistake and needs to take his medicine.
    I think the angle we both clearly saw it from, is far worse than what appears on the video.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Do you think he should have perhaps said he thought there was nothing in it rather than going on and on or replied "no comment"?
    "I didn't think there was much in it but we will argue that at the tribunal as is the process"

as opposed to

"It's disappointing. It's pretty laughable, really,"
    "It would stagger me if anything happened in regards to it"
    "Something has gone drastically wrong if it's not thrown out straight away"

Which do you think wouldn't challenge the tribunal? At the moment I think those comments could work against Will.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    "I didn't think there was much in it but we will argue that at the tribunal as is the process"

as opposed to

"It's disappointing. It's pretty laughable, really,"
    "It would stagger me if anything happened in regards to it"
    "Something has gone drastically wrong if it's not thrown out straight away"

Which do you think wouldn't challenge the tribunal? At the moment I think those comments could work against Will.
    I agree with you, but I get the impression this won't be the last time Beveridge will speak his mind and perhaps say too much.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    I think the angle we both clearly saw it from, is far worse than what appears on the video.
    It clearly is. Interesting to note that there were two other cameras at the ground (one on Hawkins Wing) and only the members side footage has been released. I have a feeling that the members side footage paints Will in a much better light.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Bevo's comments reveal a degree of guilt in his condemning the best ruckman to play in the two's week after week, while a poor shadow of an understudy gets mediocre game after mediocre game, culminating in a boilover incident for which Minson is now in the dock.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon