Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jarrad Grant is thriving in his new role on the wing

Link

A CHANGE of role has reinvigorated the career of Western Bulldogs midfielder Liam Picken, and may do the same for the enigmatic Jarrad Grant.

Under new coach Luke Beveridge, the at-times inconsistent forward has shifted to the wing, producing three solid games since coming back into the Dogs’ line-up in Round 9.

Against Brisbane last Saturday he racked up 22 disposals, the second-highest tally of his 69-game career.

Assistant coach Daniel Giansiracusa, who spent six seasons playing alongside Grant in the Bulldogs forward line, said the switch had given Grant “a new lease on life’’.

“Playing exclusively as a forward you can get a bit stale,’’ Giansiracusa said. “Luke saw that he could play in that position (wing), not just as a lead-up forward and I think he likes to free guys’ minds up a bit and play them in different positions.

“As a new coach, he looked at his list and looked at ways to find out more about the players. A bit like Liam Picken, he didn’t pigeon-hole him into a role or position. Luke’s done that with a few of the guys and some of those moves have really come off.’’

Grant agreed: “I guess it frees you up from having a defender follow you around all day and I’m relishing being able to run over the whole ground. It breathes a bit of fresh air into life.

“Luke’s big on versatility and players being able to play multiple positions. That sits perfectly with me. I can still get a little bit of time up forward, maybe 75-25 (per cent) between wing and forward.’’

Giansiracusa said the switch had brought an intensity and an added defensive dimension to Grant’s game.

“Jarrad would agree that he lacked urgency at times. With the change of role, being closer to footy and in and around the action more often, his urgency has to be at a really high level. He has to be right in amongst it offensively and defensively.

“You’re at the coalface and if you’re not urgent you get brushed aside.’’

Grant said his past three matches had “probably been my best few weeks for the club’’ but felt he still had considerable work to do.

“I want to be a consistent AFL player. If I continue to play the way I have in the past few weeks, then hopefully I can end the year having had a pretty consistent few months on the wing.

“Just joining in, getting involved, helping out with team defence. There are a lot of aspects of the game that I just need to do on a consistent basis.’’

He said midfield coaches Joel Corey and Steven King had helped fast-track his understanding of how to play the new role.

“They have helped us improve our work at stoppages and also helped me personally with my running patterns and my set-ups,’’ Grant said.

“Honing down on getting to the right positions and spreading away from there, whether it’s offensively or defensively. Just learning how to stay involved in the game.’’

Giansiracusa, who spent a fair chunk of his 14-season career going through the midfield, says Grant has the raw ingredients to thrive as a wingman.

“He’s got extreme pace — when he takes off not many can go with him — and he can be an architect who gets the footy going our way,’’ he said.

“Jarrad reads the play really well, he’s got a smart footy brain and he’s reached the point where he’s actually one of our more experienced players.

“He can help his younger teammates out a bit and he’s good in that regard. Before now, he’d probably never seen himself in that light, but I think he’s really enjoying that aspect of his footy and its coming out in his game.

“Murph (captain Bob Murphy) has really encouraged him to grow in that leadership area. Granty does it in his own way, but he’s really good in that side of things out on the ground. He’s matured a bit.

“He understands that it gets to a point in your career where people make calls on you. He’s had potential and plenty of talent, but he’s got really fit and looks like he’s ready to take the next step in his career.’’
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant is thriving in his new role on the wing

That's our man.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL journos have the easiest job in the world.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

What's his contract status?
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    What's his contract status?
    2 year deal ends this year
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should never, ever, give Jarrad more than a one year contract. He always plays so much better when his contract is coming up.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    We should never, ever, give Jarrad more than a one year contract. He always plays so much better when his contract is coming up.
    Yeah and nah But I think the opposite. I think we should reward him with a new 2 year deal and invest in his confidence. What I would then do is put high KPIs on him for the balance of the year for a third year. In effect rewarding him, investing in his confidence and then holding out a carrot to work towards by making him not just best 22, but top 15.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    If he is valuable to the team then we need to lock him in and show confidence in his ability and he will also be confident when playing. We can't keep getting rid of players in the 23 to 28 age bracket.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant has a lot to offer and I think he will finish the year off well. I think he will grow as a footballer. It amazes me how much cynicism there is about him but some people are undeveloped in the human attribute of faith and intuition and just go on their thinking alone. I'm talking about the cynics, not Grant. He has underperformed and lacked consistency sure but blind Freddie can see that he has a lot to offer and people can turn things around. Watch this space.
    Footscray Football Republic.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The was a player profile on the website and Murphy said that Grant was one of the most talented players he'd seen, and he is confident he is starting to pull it all together and will terrorize opposition. That is a good enough endorsement for me.

A lot of his problems are effort based and as such I agree, 1 year deals are the way to go with him, with performance incentives next year to unlock an extension.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that if Jarrad maintains his form towards the end of the year it would be appropriate to offer him a 2 year deal. We wouldn't want him to look elsewhere now he has found his true position in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Grant still has a bit of work to do to earn another contract with us.

Nothing outrageous, just prove he can be consistent across a prolonged period. Within this contract period we've seen about a dozen games of quality, and while I agree that due to injury last year he was at a disadvantage, he needs to give more than that before sign him up for two or three more years.

Post Thanks / Like

Two or three good games don't make a season, or a career.

Let's see if he can keep it up when we play the better opposition. If Grant is going to play that wing role he need to eventually be lethal in an Isaac Smith type fashion. Someone who can be damaging when on the loose and who regularly gets in the top 6 disposal count for the side each week. One of the main contributors in the team, not just someone who can did a couple of good things.

I really hope it works and I think it's another example of how our coach is just making good decisions and transforming this club.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a bloke who was 'renditioned' by Brendan MacCartney for four weeks to the gym. If he can string together one solid season I will be thrilled. Not even too much flashy stuff, just consistent footy.
    Still hate the way he drops the ball on to his foot.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely consistency is the key for Spindles. If he can bring the game like he played against Brisbane on the weekend, we are a better team for it. Like Jeemak said!