Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs Mid Season Report Card

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-2...stern-bulldogs

What's worked: Luke Beveridge's 'fast footy' game plan has been embraced by the players and seen the Dogs' performances improve dramatically. The rookie coach has seen his team find the right balance between defence and attack. Robert Murphy's appointment as skipper was an inspired choice, with the 32-year-old's love of the game and club spreading quickly throughout his young team. Jordan Roughead's move from the backline to ruck and Liam Picken's transformation from dour tagger to attacking midfielder have also been telling. Big-money recruit Tom Boyd and 2014 draftees Lukas Webb, Bailey Dale and Toby McLean have all impressed.

What hasn't: Coming from such a low base in 2014, the Dogs haven't had too many things go wrong. Ayce Cordy was preferred to Will Minson in the ruck for six weeks, but failed to take his chances. The only thing that would frustrate supporters has been the Dogs' inability beat sides below them (St Kilda and Melbourne) while knocking off most of the top eight sides.

Story of the season: With many pundits predicting another bottom four finish, the Bulldogs' early season resurgence captured the imagination of the competition. While they've tapered off a touch in the past month, the young Dogs (the AFL's third youngest list) are playing a much better balanced and far more attractive brand of footy than they did under Brendan McCartney.

Best win: Pitted against a hardened and in-form Swans outfit on a soggy SCG in round five, the Dogs pulled off the upset of the season. The young pups found themselves behind on the scoreboard numerous times, but fought back to record a memorable four-point win.

Best individual performance: It's hard to go past Liam Picken's 33 possessions (17 contested) and 11 tackles in the win over the Swans.

Brownlow leader: Hard to split Robert Murphy and Easton Wood, both of whom have been nearly impenetrable across half-back.

The revelation: Injuries have stymied his progress in recent years, but Wood is now one of the league's best rebounding defenders. He's second in the competition for intercept marks and third for intercept possessions.

The missing: A season-ending knee injury to reigning best and fairest Tom Liberatore in the NAB Challenge was a savage blow to a side looking to regenerate after a tumultuous off-season. And in one of the most heartbreaking stories of 2015, youngster Clay Smith tore his ACL in right knee for third time in two years in round six.

Worst performance: The round eight capitulation to Melbourne was a day of disgrace for the Dogs. Listless for most of the match, the Bulldogs never really got going and the Demons ran out 39-point winners.

Mark of the year: Easton Wood, R10 v Port Adelaide

Goal of the year: Jake Stringer, R12 v Brisbane Lions

Three games that shape the season:
    R13, St Kilda, Etihad Stadium
    R14, Carlton, Etihad Stadium
    R15, Gold Coast, Cazaly Stadium

Fantasy Pig Luke Dahlhaus, average 101.5 points

STATS LEADERS
    Disposals: Luke Dahlhaus (271)
    Marks: Easton Wood (68)
    Contested marks: Easton Wood (17)
    Goals: Jake Stringer (25)
    Inside 50s: Marcus Bontempelli (49)
    Clearances: Mitch Wallis (47)
    Contested possessions: Luke Dahlhaus (130)

Score 7.5/10

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Mid Season Report Card

I would argue that our loss to St Kilda was our worst performance, giving up that lead was just horrific. Other than that, a pretty fair assessment all in all.

But why is Luke Dahlhaus a fantasy pig?? I wouldn't have picked him to emulate Plugger any time soon...
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Mid Season Report Card

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    But why is Luke Dahlhaus a fantasy pig?? I wouldn't have picked him to emulate Plugger any time soon...
    He gets a lot of supercoach points
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff