Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gold Coast Suns

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast Suns

Given the revelations by Karmichael Hunt it's becoming evident that the the Gold Coast Suns are bringing the the game into disrepute and I'm wondering if sanctions similar to what Essendon were penalised for are now in order?

I've had a gut full of reading article after article of this negative image clubs like Essendon and now the Suns are inflicting on the game and the football public.

Surely a penalty where the Suns lose their first round draft pick is in order? We simply can't have this club bouncing back into the finals in the next two or three seasons.

Thoughts?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Coast Suns

I've been wondering if all the news coming out helps explain the sacking of their last Coach?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I've been wondering if all the news coming out helps explain the sacking of their last Coach?

It might but what I'm asking is more around if the Suns should be investigated in a similar manner to Essendon and penalised accordingly?

Post Thanks / Like

It's embarrassing for our game, no doubt. It's embarrassing that the AFL simply asked the Suns to investigate and that was simply asking the players if they'd like to hand themselves in with no evidence. And everyone s happy with that, assuming KH was not going to sing like a canary. Which he then did.

The problem is the AFL effectively is The Suns, in the sense that AFL sanctions could kill the chance for the team to succeed which may render the $1000,000,000 investment a waste and be down a team for the TV rights deal. But I honestly fear this is going to happen. Being gifted GAJ, a team of first rounders and Jaeger and Martin - success by now was meant to be pushing top 6 or higher and they're facing a spoon... A spoon. Brisbane was gifted a dynasty through the merger and a few lean years turned away crowds, which led to recruiting to bring in names (ie Fevola) which cut the culture which then saw an average coach dismissed horrible and years of first rounders walk out at once, and who are now contending for the spoon too. This is what happens so far as a pattern in Qld and if this engulfs the Suns and players walk, and players are sacked or penalised another top picked (to be used on a skinny flanker) then it might be adding fuel to the fire.

Don't get me wrong, I completely and utterly agree with you G. I just think it's so incestuous and the AFL is completely compromised that I just can't see them taking strong leadership here. If those at the AFL who staked their careers in the Suns are still there, then they will want to see them in finals asap irrespective of this saga, even if it means solid citizens like us will find it harder.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Throughandthrough, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL to help Gold Coast with Karmichael Hunt investigation

If there is a culture of drugs then penalties should be against the players but I can't see the club should be penalised unless they knew about it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BT, I get why the AFL have an interest of making the Suns a viable side but I think the seriousness of this issue means they might have to handicap them for at least a year or two. It would not sit well with me to see the Suns secure the number one pick in the next draft because of their mismanagement.

Carlton and the Crows have lost draft picks for salary cap rorts. Essendon for their poorly managed supplements programme. I can't see why the Suns shouldn't also receive similar sanction.

Would many parents be happy to see their young sons drafted by the Suns at the moment?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL to help Gold Coast with Karmichael Hunt investigation

If there is a culture of drugs then penalties should be against the players but I can't see the club should be penalised unless they knew about it
    Earlier in the year they said they reviewed the allegations and were comfortable that there was nothing to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Earlier in the year they said they reviewed the allegations and were comfortable that there was nothing to see.
    I know what you are saying but can the club be blamed and then be penalised?

I have pointed it out before, the Suns have serious issues and we know they have only won 5 games in 20 plus rounds of footy. Yes lots of injuries but there seems to be other problems at the club. The drinking, drugs, late nights, team discipline. I bet Rocket is thinking what the hell have I got myself in for.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks BT, I get why the AFL have an interest of making the Suns a viable side but I think the seriousness of this issue means they might have to handicap them for at least a year or two. It would not sit well with me to see the Suns secure the number one pick in the next draft because of their mismanagement.

Carlton and the Crows have lost draft picks for salary cap rorts. Essendon for their poorly managed supplements programme. I can't see why the Suns shouldn't also receive similar sanction.

Would many parents be happy to see their young sons drafted by the Suns at the moment?
    No disputing it. But the AFL hasn't shown leadership with Essendon and showed no leadership in determining Melbourne didn't tank, yet fined them $3m and then gave them $5m to bail them out of their fine and assoc mess. All the Adelaide salary cap players have continued their AFL careers without much fuss. The AFL need to be seen to act, which they will with providing investigative assistance, education, advice and support. But penalising their golden goose with draft punishments, I'm not convinced that's it's even possible let alone probable. The AFL tribunal let Essendon off citing a lack of evidence. I can guarantee that every GCS manager will say they had no idea about anything like this happening. So based on immediate precedent, they can say GCS managers knew nothing and therefore no penalties should apply. The draft pick penalty of 2013 was public pressure with Essendon fussing to management issues not about banned/illegal,substances. They should act I agree.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know what you are saying but can the club be blamed and then be penalised?

I have pointed it out before, the Suns have serious issues and we know they have only won 5 games in 20 plus rounds of footy. Yes lots of injuries but there seems to be other problems at the club. The drinking, drugs, late nights, team discipline. I bet Rocket is thinking what the hell have I got myself in for.
    This isn't an isolated incident, there is a culture there and at best the club has been half arsed in acknowledging it let alone trying to fix it. If the AFL doesn't take this seriously they are looking at another West Coast Eagles debacle.

If the club doesn't get on top of it then they must be penalised. There is no other meaningful option

Post Thanks / Like

It has become a farce. You hear of a divide between the Christians and the party boys, their marquee player won't play for whatever reason and seems to be at odds with the club. They have had bad luck with injuries this year but one win?

GCS played their hundredth game on the weekend. The Brisbane Bears won more games than them in their first 100 than GCS did despite the different club set up. That's how bad it is.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great that evidence to save the skin of one super star AFL player has been leaked to ensure he's the complete antithesis of what the AFL were trying to achieve by recruiting him.

AFL players deciding to have a bump or two of Charlie at end of season gigs being a surprise to everyone associated with the AFL is just as delightful to me. Considering some of those that comment on the game prominently have their noses in it just as much as anyone else in society (and you can bet your arse it doesn't stop with them).

GvGjr, the veneer the AFL is trying to protect has been eroded for some time and it's issues like this one that do the most to expose how superficial the competition is at its core. Calling GCS to account isn't going to do anything if it is done by the AFL, and the current legislation governing ASADA powers has proven to be ineffective as well. We as a football public need this type of story to rise to the top in order for us all to see the light and demand REAL change in how the game is governed and managed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reading GC have the highest membership fees in the comp. Well folks, trust is like a bit of paper. Once crumpled you can't ever quite flatten it.
    These sort of revelations are really damaging for an expansion team. For established clubs, like Essendon, they have rusted on supporters who sentimentalize and project an intense existentialism on their club out of habitand will weather any storm. But for GC, I can see the AFL trying to protect them on this one and that is the last thing that must happen, or else the damage will be long term.

The leaders at GC are in shaky territory because this is coming out of the blue and that's hard to believe. If so, it doesn't speak volumes about their leadership group.
    The code switching experiment has a huge cloud over it now.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I would think these issues go beyond the leaders of the club, and have more to do with the haphazard and denial oriented management of which the AFL is subject to.

This, and everything else we've heard about the GCS club over the past nine months is an endemic trait of an organisation that has overreached to gain a manufactured commercial outcome, within a short period of time. The AFL fell over themselves to introduce the GWS and GCS franchises in order to ensure they had leverage in commercial negotiations and the culture outcome for the first club they introduced is suffering because of that.

The AFL has dropped the ball significantly here. Their PR machine has been caught out massively in lieu of it being the GCS 100 game anniversary in the league, and not being in a position to respond to these claims.
    Last edited by jeemak; 30-06-2015 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Big issue is sporting organisations on the Gold Coast.
    Did we not learn from the Bears ? It wasn't just shitty facilities being the biggest issue.
    The transient retirees and holiday makers aren't interested in following a sporting team on the Coast.
    The lifestyle is just one massive distraction, and putting together impressionable easily influenced teenagers is a disaster