Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gold Coast Suns

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gold Coast Suns

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This isn't an isolated incident, there is a culture there and at best the club has been half arsed in acknowledging it let alone trying to fix it. If the AFL doesn't take this seriously they are looking at another West Coast Eagles debacle.

If the club doesn't get on top of it then they must be penalised. There is no other meaningful option

We all know the AFL is full of double standards .
    They won't punish them knowing ( should say thinking) they don't want them struggling .
    It's imperative to the bottom line regardless of the off field shannigans that they start winning .
    Let's just forget about the whole setting up a decent culture stuff, and how the AFL didn't know any of this was occurring is utter B/S
    They're so protective of their brand that they'll sweep anything under the carpet

Post Thanks / Like

The players found to be involved will receive a strike under the illicit drug policy, will remain anonymous and that will probably be all she wrote.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that a club sanction is warranted, as the activity revealed by Hunt occurred when the players were operating in private capacity.

Does any believe that drug use is not rampant in the age group and demographic to which these players belong.

A group with excess time and high incomes is universally a recipe for disastrous behaviour.

The 3 strike drug policy is part of the problem, but so is the community acceptance of illicit drug taking.

Certainly Gold Coast Suns need to improve the overall culture for their group, but until there are meaningful sanctions on the players for illicit behaviour, this remains an ongoing problem that can strike at any club.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder who the player in question is? Any chance he came from our club?

Gold Coast Suns call for drug policy change amid fears recruits may have had history

GOLD Coast have called for an urgent overhaul of the AFL drugs code amid fears they may have recruited players with previous drug history to the club.
    Suns officials have heard claims that a player recruited to the club came with existing strikes under the league’s drugs code and may have impacted their fledgling culture.
    They have no way of knowing if this is true.
    It has been suggested the player was one of those who mixed in the same social circles as Karmichael Hunt in which he claimed cocaine was used in his statement to criminal investigators.
    On Monday, the Suns asked the AFL to assist them into an investigation into drug use at the club alleged by Hunt.

CEO Andrew Travis addressed the playing group on Monday night and players will be individually interviewed in the coming days.
    Travis shares the view of CEO’s across the league that the drug code needs to be updated.
    The CEO’s argue the rules be changed so they are informed of the identity of players after their first strike.
    The club’s also argue they cannot sufficiently help players who may be developing problems if they are not made aware of them.
    “The policy has been around for some time now and it is due for some sort of refreshment,’’ Travis said.

“Our club has strongly supported the AFL in flagging changes with the Illicit Drugs Policy.”
    There is a view the Suns’ attempts to clean up their culture are being hindered by the outdated drug policy that protects the identity of offenders and limits the sanctions available to the club.
    The AFL Players Association have been offered the opportunity to have their say in how the investigation would be carried out.
    The Suns accept the drug code is the way to deal with drug offences but believe they reserve the right to punish the players under their code of conduct if they continue to deny their involvement and are later proven to be lying.
    The Suns’ reputation has taken a battering and the administration looks to be either engaging in a cover-up or completely without control over their playing list with their repeated and strongly worded public denials of any drug problem — a stance formed from their players’ assurances.
    But the AFLPA’s stance is that the club has no right to know of a player’s drug use until they have recorded three strikes.
    They have also said they would take a dim view of any action that identifies the players — which would essentially rule out any punishment other than a fine.
    AFL football operations manager Mark Evans has also declared that if any of Hunt’s claims are true the players would be treated under the drug code.
    “We will be interviewing the players and if any information comes up about drug use it will be treated under the illicit drugs policy,’’ he said.
    If a player chose to self-report drug use it would count as a strike under the illicit drugs code which carries no penalty and the players’ identity remains secret.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see the value in allowing a club to know the identity of a player with a single strike, and I'm not sure whether them knowing of a second strike is a good idea either.

Football clubs (and other institutions) have a habit of marginalising and punishing individuals rather than addressing causes of particular behaviours. The marginalisation and punishment of those who use illicit substances has proven over the last 50 years to be completely ineffective in tackling the drugs issue throughout society, and any step that increases the likelihood of offenders being punished or marginalised is a backward one in my view.

6. Likes Happy Days, hujsh, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I really don't see the value in allowing a club to know the identity of a player with a single strike, and I'm not sure whether them knowing of a second strike is a good idea either.

Football clubs (and other institutions) have a habit of marginalising and punishing individuals rather than addressing causes of particular behaviours. The marginalisation and punishment of those who use illicit substances has proven over the last 50 years to be completely ineffective in tackling the drugs issue throughout society, and any step that increases the likelihood of offenders being punished or marginalised is a backward one in my view.
    While I see validity in your post, I ask how do we address the problem when it is allowed to continue without any consequences.

Post Thanks / Like

+1. The drug problem is yet another example of the AFL's complete inability to talk about anything difficult or uncomfortable in a proper manner.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While I see validity in your post, I ask how do we address the problem when it is allowed to continue without any consequences.
    There are consequences.

If someone has a drug problem then they receive treatment after a strike is recorded. If they don't rehabilitate and continue to record strikes then they lose their careers.

If you were to suggest to me that testing should become more frequent and sophisticated then I would be fine with that.

10. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are consequences.

If someone has a drug problem then they receive treatment after a strike is recorded. If they don't rehabilitate and continue to record strikes then they lose their careers.

If you were to suggest to me that testing should become more frequent and sophisticated then I would be fine with that.
    There certainly needs to be more frequent testing, but there is the ongoing issue of acceptance of illicit drug taking in wider society.

We all are aware of stories that float around from time to time of behavioural issues across the total player population. I believe the action needs to be stronger.

Post Thanks / Like

There certainly needs to be more frequent testing, but there is the ongoing issue of acceptance of illicit drug taking in wider society.

We all are aware of stories that float around from time to time of behavioural issues across the total player population. I believe the action needs to be stronger.
    Some might argue our attitudes towards them need to be liberalised.

13. Likes hujsh, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys,

Lets not stray too far into Polictical discussions here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    +1. The drug problem is yet another example of the AFL's complete inability to talk about anything difficult or uncomfortable in a proper manner.
    By the way, Avatar of the Month goes to Happy Days, for his 'pride' Jason Akermanis.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

16. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe that a club sanction is warranted, as the activity revealed by Hunt occurred when the players were operating in private capacity.

Does any believe that drug use is not rampant in the age group and demographic to which these players belong.

A group with excess time and high incomes is universally a recipe for disastrous behaviour.

The 3 strike drug policy is part of the problem, but so is the community acceptance of illicit drug taking.

Certainly Gold Coast Suns need to improve the overall culture for their group, but until there are meaningful sanctions on the players for illicit behaviour, this remains an ongoing problem that can strike at any club.
    Travis denied there was an issue almost laughing at the mere suggestion there was a dug issue but now straight after the KMH allegations the GCS are suddenly the victim of an outdated policy.

The highlighted section is why I believe the AFL needs to take a tough stance on the Suns poor performance in managing this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Travis denied there was an issue almost laughing at the mere suggestion there was a dug issue but now straight after the KMH allegations the GCS are suddenly the victim of an outdated policy.

The highlighted section is why I believe the AFL needs to take a tough stance on the Suns poor performance in managing this.
    Was listening to Damian Barrett, who broke the original story about Karmichael, and was told point blank by Suns management that theyre was no problem, basically a "Nothing to see here" apporach.

He openly used the word "Cover-up" when describing GCS' handling of the saga.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless the club gave them the drugs, charge the players not the club ala Ben Cousins
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff