Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tippetts elbow?

Post Thanks / Like

Tippetts elbow?

Can anyone really defend the decision that Kurt Tippett gets just one week for his elbow against Richmond's Dylan Grimes?

I don't get how the AFL can say it only warrants a one week penalty.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tippetts elbow?

If that was a dogs player, in my heart of hearts, that's two/three weeks. In my heart of hearts, if it were a dogs player then that's what the MRP would've done. I think the elbow remains the biggest act of bastardry in our game, that it goes unpunished is not good for the game.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

But was it careless or deliberate? I think it makes a difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The ball was about 60cm away from where an attempted punch would be. Any guilty person would say it was careless. I would say assessment of where the ball was and what was reasonable would on the balance of probability would lead one to conclude it wasn't a careless act.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lewis and Tippett have gotten off very lightly. Perhaps careless or deliberate aren't the right words. I'd say it was dangerous.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought at the time that Tippett's was worth 1, and Buddy's worth 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Can anyone really defend the decision that Kurt Tippett gets just one week for his elbow against Richmond's Dylan Grimes?

I don't get how the AFL can say it only warrants a one week penalty.
    The only comment I've got to make is once again, well twice again, it's Swans players benefitting from farcically inadequate tribunal penalties.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Both decisions were bad. Franklin clearly lined up Edwards and ran past the ball - it was intentional and should have been rated as such. Tippett's was more careless than anything (read STUPID) but it was high and - based on the Lewis decision, he should have gotten at least 2 weeks.

Death, taxes and mystifying tribunal decisions?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Tippett knew precisely what he was doing and as such should have been handed no less than two weeks.

How someone can run past a contest and be lucky not to cause concussion via a bump and only get one week is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Both decisions were bad. Franklin clearly lined up Edwards and ran past the ball - it was intentional and should have been rated as such. Tippett's was more careless than anything (read STUPID) but it was high and - based on the Lewis decision, he should have gotten at least 2 weeks.

Death, taxes and mystifying tribunal decisions?
    Yep, Franklin's definitely deliberate contact.

He's become a lazy thug with his body to body contesting, has pretty much dropped the tackle from his repertoire.

If he actually leans down to take possession of the ball, he hits Edwards fair and square down the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Yep, Franklin's definitely deliberate contact.

He's become a lazy thug with his body to body contesting, has pretty much dropped the tackle from his repertoire.

If he actually leans down to take possession of the ball, he hits Edwards fair and square down the middle.
    An inevitable consequence of the lax penalties handed down to Sydney players in general for acts that deserved harsher. Buddy can do what he likes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm way more concerned with Franklin's bump than Tippett's elbow. Franklin's was a very heavy hit, utterly intentional and to the head. One week? He intentionally subjected Shane Edwards to the same danger as Brent Staker circa 2008.

I agree that Tippett's penalty is too light but think that, on the basis of clear intention (we can all only speculate on the malice of Tippett in that contest), the severity of offence is less than in the case of Jordan Lewis.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

The other interesting comparison has been with the Bryce Gibbs tackle. FWIW Here's my take:

Gibbs' tackle has been described as a good hard tackle. It wasn't a good tackle at all. It was poor technique and was downright dangerous. He didn't try and bring the player to ground, he picked him up and forcefully threw him, head first, into the turf.

Look at every tackle Tony Liberatore ever made. I don't think you'll ever see anything even closely resembling that.

In both codes of rugby, if you lofty a player beyond the horizontal in a tackle, it is YOUR responsibility to bring him to ground safely. Fall to do so and you're on report as a bare minimum.

At the end of the day it was a head first throw, not a tackle.

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I hear one more Carlton moan on the Gibbs Tackle
    I'll Wallace 1996
    Buddy should have got 3 weeks and Tippet about two.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather see Gibbs tackle get a softer/no penalty as it is a skill of the game that has been executed poorly than see an elbow strike, not a skill a skill of the game treated as minor because it didn't end up hurting the opponent.