Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
    Post Thanks / Like

Sons of The West - Part 3 - The Duty

Link

Part Three of the enthralling 'Sons Of The West' documentary series features a look back at the Dogs and Giants battle, and the heartwarming story of Club Legend 'Gentleman' John Schultz.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sons of The West - Part 3 - The Duty

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Link

Part Three of the enthralling 'Sons Of The West' documentary series features a look back at the Dogs and Giants battle, and the heartwarming story of Club Legend 'Gentleman' John Schultz.
    That's excellent BD. Legends old and new.

Post Thanks / Like

John Schultz was one of my early heroes. I was only a little bloke when he played and I hardly remember him, but I do remember how good he was.

For those who don't know:

Career highlights

One of the AFL's all time best ruckman, a true legend of the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    John Schultz was one of my early heroes. I was only a little bloke when he played and I hardly remember him, but I do remember how good he was.

For those who don't know:

Career highlights

One of the AFL's all time best ruckman, a true legend of the game.

At about 2.15 there is a shot of Schultz taking a mark. He leans over and virtually pinches the ball out of the hands of a Footscray player. Is the Footscray player Fred Cook?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoyed the focus on John Schultz. What an absolute champion bloke and player.

Love this series. Looking forward to the last one where they reminisce about winning the 2015 flag against all odds
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Murph on Griff:

It made me sad to see him in another jumper. Sad with a twist of pissed off.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC, Hotdog60, Happy Days, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Two great men and great Bulldogs in Bob & John. I loved watching that video. I remember John playing. Never played a bad game. Fairly certain he played 169 games straight, or close to it, from his first game onwards. Was up there with Farmer and Nicholls. When I started on WOOF I wanted to have in my avatar a true bulldog legend. I chose John Schultz.

11. Likes Twodogs, ratsmac, Max469, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Murph on Griff:

It made me sad to see him in another jumper. Sad with a twist of pissed off.
    Hehe, I was surprised how open and frank this documentary was about the Griffen thing. Especially the booing etc.
    Was very amusing though.

Loved the doco, can't wait for the next one.

On Schultz, growing up in the sth eastern suburbs I didn't get the same connection with the club and players that others had, as Footscray may well of been in Perth for me it was that far away. The one connection I did have was John Schultz and Schultz's supermarket in Syndal. It was less than 100 metres from where I lived and I would often see John there himself. He had such an appeal in the area that the local footy team (Syndal/Tally Ho) wore the dogs colours. He's a wonderful club man through and through.

13. Likes Twodogs, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These docos are nearly bringing me to tears!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Hehe, I was surprised how open and frank this documentary was about the Griffen thing. Especially the booing etc.
    Was very amusing though.

Loved the doco, can't wait for the next one.

On Schultz, growing up in the sth eastern suburbs I didn't get the same connection with the club and players that others had, as Footscray may well of been in Perth for me it was that far away. The one connection I did have was John Schultz and Schultz's supermarket in Syndal. It was less than 100 metres from where I lived and I would often see John there himself. He had such an appeal in the area that the local footy team (Syndal/Tally Ho) wore the dogs colours. He's a wonderful club man through and through.
    Is that why Syndal wear R, W & B? Great effort by the great man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that why Syndal wear R, W & B? Great effort by the great man.

Have changed their name to Chadstone these days. Great colours! Hard times for the club though in the last 5-6 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Have changed their name to Chadstone these days. Great colours! Hard times for the club though in the last 5-6 years.
    Go with the flow huh. Makes sense if Chadstone and all that potential sponsorship is sitting there unfulfilled. Change your name and presto.

Keep the colours guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprised by the open bitterness about Griffen .
    Totally justified
    Not called Gentlemen John Schultz for nothing

Post Thanks / Like

John Schultz is a gentleman's gentlemen.

My uncle played a 20 or 30 odd games for the dogs and when he passed away John Schultz attended his funeral. I know that they knew each other through their playing days and past players but that was about it for as far as their friendship went. They didn't catch up every week for a coffee if you know what I mean. The fact that he travelled to Wodonga for his funeral blew me away. That is a man with integrity.

I am a bit too young to have seen him play, although my parents tell me how good he was, but since my small encounter with john at my uncles funeral I hold him in very high regard.

Now seeing the respect that Bob has for John I feel privileged to have shared a small moment with the great man.