Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs push for Friday night

Four to six seems optimistic after none for 3 seasons straight. At least two would be a good start.

Bulldogs push for Friday night

The Western Bulldogs will lobby for greater opportunities on the AFL’s big stage, with Club president Peter Gordon confirming the Bulldogs would push for Friday night matches in 2016.

The Bulldogs have not had a Friday night match since 2012, joining the Gold Coast Suns and GWS as the only sides to not participate in a Friday night match in the past three seasons.

Speaking with the Herald Sun this week, Gordon said the Bulldogs deserve a chance at the prime timeslot, in order to continue building fan base and revenue.

“My expectation would be that the AFL would be thinking of giving us four to six Friday night games on the basis of the promise that we’re showing on the field.

“(There’s) the exciting brand of football that we’re showing, the growth potential for us in the competition and last but not least, in some form, to redress the fact that we’ve had none since 2012.”

The ability to showcase the Club’s brand and capitalise on the commercial opportunities that a Friday night match presents is driving Gordon and the Bulldogs’ push.

“We are meant to build our membership… but we are denied the most important tools, which enable us to do it, which is the sort of exposure you get from those Friday night games.”

The Bulldogs have won nine matches in 2015 and currently sit sixth on the AFL ladder, already surpassing last year’s total of seven wins.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs push for Friday night

Ambit claim.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But good on him.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't mind if we managed a Thursday game. That would give great exposure.

Would possibly be a better outcome than the mooted Good Friday.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An absolute STERLING article about this in the Sun today.

How is playing Port at 2:10 on a Saturday a "showcase game". And lucky us, we get a home game against Collingwood.

"The schedule will not be used as a means of equity" - omfg.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think we deserve 2 or 3 Thursday/Friday night games.. However our maximum exposure games in recent weeks (thinking Saturday night) weren't great viewing, but I guess the opposition you play effects that greatly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think we deserve 2 or 3 Thursday/Friday night games.. However our maximum exposure games in recent weeks (thinking Saturday night) weren't great viewing, but I guess the opposition you play effects that greatly.
    I thought other than the last quarter it was pretty horrible too, but I had a number of neutral fans telling me how much they enjoyed it. I guess high scoring bursts are so rare these days that fans are excited by just a taste of it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I get annoyed by the crap that gets trotted out about everyone wanting to watch the " big boys".
    For those who don't follow these teams want a decent game between two decent teams.
    The neutrals ( and believe it or not there are plenty) are sick of crap teams getting a gig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I thought other than the last quarter it was pretty horrible too, but I had a number of neutral fans telling me how much they enjoyed it. I guess high scoring bursts are so rare these days that fans are excited by just a taste of it.
    Was thinking more about the St.Kilda & Carlton games which were both broadcasted by 7 in their prime Saturday night slot.

Post Thanks / Like

It's crazy we don't get Friday night games and we are the only Victorian team that doesn't get them. Very happy Peter is pushing for this to happen. We need kids who may be watching on Friday night and who may not have a team to watch us and may and possibly support us. Great time is now as we are playing some really good footy. My hope also is we can secure a good stadium deal at Etihad where we can make a profit.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

What we need is some economic modelling and forecast projections about how much better off we will be if we play Friday/Thursday night games (prefer Thursday night),or how much worse off under the current schedule.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Is our argument hurt by our poor crowd attendance? Even our Saturday evening games aren't drawing good crowds.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What we need is some economic modelling and forecast projections about how much better off we will be if we play Friday/Thursday night games (prefer Thursday night),or how much worse off under the current schedule.
    I may have brought this up before but what if we played a home game or two at the G would that improve our revenue.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I may have brought this up before but what if we played a home game or two at the G would that improve our revenue.
    May Easty?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    May Easty?
    Is that Easty's first name BT?

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post