Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne Carey impressed by 'competitive' Tom Boyd

Link

AFL GREAT Wayne Carey has defended Western Bulldogs youngster Tom Boyd amid criticism the key forward's debut season at Whitten Oval has been underwhelming.

Boyd, who landed at the Dogs from GWS on a multi-million dollar contract during last year's trade period, has come under scrutiny from Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd for his output so far in 2015.

Lloyd told Channel Nine the 2013 No.1 pick "gets knocked off the ball" and doesn't have enough "mobility and agility" compared to the premier key forwards of the competition.

Carey on the other hand, has liked what he's seen of the 201cm Eastern Ranges' product who turns 20 in August.

"In the games I have seen him play, I've been impressed with Tom because of his competitiveness," Carey told AFL.com.au

"He very rarely gets out-marked and that side of his game has been quite good.

"So I wouldn't be too critical of him in his first full season because he was always going to take time."

Brought to the Bulldogs to kick goals, Boyd has kicked 16 from 14 appearances in 2015 while his 18 contested marks ranks him equal 19th in the League.

But Carey, arguably the best key forward the game has seen, says the round 12 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee's season shouldn't be judged on stats or his massive contract.

"I don't look at how many goals he's kicked, I don't look at how many marks he's taken, what I look at is how he competes and from that side of things I think he's been good value for the Doggies," said Carey.

"They know they've got a target who at the very least is going to bring the ball to ground and I think that's where he's been very good."

And Bulldogs forward Tory Dickson agrees with Carey's assessment, believing Boyd's presence in attack has helped the Dogs' small forwards immeasurably.

"He's a young man that's learning the ropes in his second year and I think people treat him a bit too harshly," said Dickson.

"We just expect a contest and with Tom crashing the packs and bringing the ball to ground it brings guys like Luke Dahlhaus and myself into the game.

"But if you're having a quiet day like every forward does, it's good to get around the ball (the ruck) and he did have impact in the second half against Geelong on the weekend."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wayne Carey impressed by 'competitive' Tom Boyd

Carey's opinion doesn't mean much to me. Boyd needs another season with us before we can work out what his strengths and weaknesses are likely to be. To me he needs to lead more but I think he has long and productive career ahead of him and I think most of us are looking towards him becoming one of the top players in the competition. We just need to be patient.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Carey's opinion doesn't mean much to me. Boyd needs another season with us before we can work out what his strengths and weaknesses are likely to be. To me he needs to lead more but I think he has long and productive career ahead of him and I think most of us are looking towards him becoming one of the top players in the competition. We just need to be patient.
    His opinion doesn't mean much to me either, but we want people to be standing up for Toyd in the media over the next few years while he develops. There will be plenty, like Lloyd, who take the opportunity to criticise but not many who will praise him.

5. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    His opinion doesn't mean much to me either, but we want people to be standing up for Toyd in the media over the next few years while he develops. There will be plenty, like Lloyd, who take the opportunity to criticise but not many who will praise him.
    Yep. Tom needs a champion while he develops.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on Duck for getting behind Tom. Its far easier to look at stats and his contract and make a judgement. It is also preferred by most ex-players trying to become media stars, to be critical and grab an easy headline.

Tom has got a stack of work to do on his mobility and his hands to become a good player - but I'm glad Duck has recognised that we are getting some value, structurally, out of the kid right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't mind some of Carey's observations, and was pleased to see this article this morning. It's a reasonable assessment of what Boyd has offered us this year and notes he still has a long way to go as a developing forward.

I was being facetious but I sent the article to a mate this morning and said 'the King has spoken'.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree for the most part but he has had a few quiet weeks. Still on target at this stage IMO
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Gee a 19 year old gets pushed off the ball ?
    Lloyd's incisive .
    Tom Boyd will be fine, and yes he needs to improve aspects of his game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee a 19 year old gets pushed off the ball ?
    Lloyd's incisive .
    Tom Boyd will be fine, and yes he needs to improve aspects of his game
    Hogan doesn't get pushed off the ball though.

I don't mind Lloyd, I think he is wrong with his assessment of Boyd but I wouldn't mind him working with a few of our boys.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Lloyd, I think he is wrong with his assessment of Boyd but I wouldn't mind him working with a few of our boys.
    Boyd plays like he's 19 and Hogan plays like he's 25.
    I don't mind the comments on exposed form, but there's no perspective shown from some.

Post Thanks / Like

How does Boyd compare to McCartin for being pushed off the ball?

Boyd is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the AFL system than McCartin. Hogan is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the system than Boyd.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

14. Likes bulldogtragic, jazzadogs, boydogs, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

Boyd is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the AFL system than McCartin. Hogan is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the system than Boyd.
    Beat me to it. That's the comparison of a fairer nature. Except with last year that the Geelong Falcons are a professional footy club focused on and with a positive record in player development.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd hates literally everything and Carey is human garbage. We all know the time to judge Boyd's success is not even close.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

It's not my observation but I'd imagine in 12 months time (and much like Hogan now) they won't be doing that too him. I haven't seen enough of McCartin yet but I think he will be a bull.

I think Boyd will often be compared to Hogan and it's great for clubs like Melbourne and us to have quality key forwards.

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    McCartin is going to be a star. He was the difference between Footscray and whover St. Kildas alignment team is earlier in the year.
    12 goals in 7 VFL games and 1 goal in 3 AFL games. He's coming from a fair way back, especially for a fairly small key forward who's mobility is supposed to be his strong point.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships