Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs, Magpies want annual round-one match

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-2...undone-meeting

THE WESTERN Bulldogs and Collingwood want to face each other in an annual round-one meeting at the MCG.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon revealed plans for the clash at a function before the Dogs and Magpies met at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, saying the clubs would lodge a joint submission to the AFL to lobby for the fixture.

"This will be a rivalry which over the next few years should guarantee the showcasing of two teams of the biggest emerging stars of the competition," Gordon said.

"We're not looking to steal anyone else's blockbuster games – we just want to create one of our own.

"We figure the Pies and the Dogs will be meeting a few times at the 'G over the next few years (and) we'd just like the chance to start the season that way as well as ending it there against them."

Gordon reinforced the Bulldogs' aim to be scheduled four to six Friday night games next year.

He said the club would also break the $40 million revenue barrier for the first time in the club's history, post a "healthy" profit and a record membership figure of about 36,000.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Thanks bornadog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, N/A, Remi Moses, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs, Magpies want annual round-one match

Go Dogs.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Great move . I think we'll be dancing with the pies for a few years in big games.
    Let's be honest they rock up regardless .

Post Thanks / Like

Better than starting the season against West Coast.

Post Thanks / Like

I gather we change taking the gate receipts from year to year? Which is fine. Having a few blockbusters is the last piece to attracting players who want to play regularly in big games and/or more than 16,000 at Etihad.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ask for this and we'll lose this from our generous fixturing boss Scott Lethlean

Lethlean said clubs were compensated for missing out on Friday nights.

He said the Bulldogs were given a home game against Collingwood and a showpiece match during multicultural round,

They were generous enough to "give" us a home game against an opposition team in Collingwood this year. We shouldn't be asking for a showcase game on Round 1 against them. What are we thinking?

8. Likes Drunken Bum, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Ask for this and we'll lose this from our generous fixturing boss Scott Lethlean

He said the Bulldogs were given a home game against Collingwood and a showpiece match during multicultural round,

They were generous enough to "give" us a home game against an opposition team in Collingwood this year. We shouldn't be asking for a showcase game on Round 1 against them. What are we thinking?

Man. That guy actually believes what he is saying.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post

This is also the moron that said Collingwood was giving back by playing away games against teams. How very generous of them not to insist on playing 22 home games a season. He's as embarrassing for the AFL as Gieschen was when he started publicly explaining how the umpires were being coached. Gieschen got moved on and I expect he willl too, their incompetence was masked by their lack of visibility, that's now gone.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

11. Likes ratsmac, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    This is also the moron that said Collingwood was giving back by playing away games against teams. How very generous of them not to insist on playing 22 home games a season. He's as embarrassing for the AFL as Gieschen was when he started publicly explaining how the umpires were being coached. Gieschen got moved on and I expect he willl too, their incompetence was masked by their lack of visibility, that's now gone.
    Even when they play away games they buy out half the general admin seating for their "away members" to sit.
    Since when do away teams get priority seating, what a disgrace.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smorgo had value no doubt about it but I just couldn't see him orchestrating something like this. Peter Gordon is the best thing to happen to us since, well, Peter Gordon. He has high business acumen and an excellent relationship with the other Presidents becuase he has so much respect. No doubt his on good terms relationship with McGuire has got the Pies to agree to this one.

Has had a large hand in making us relevant again and, given he is in charge and given our list looks so strong, I'm beginning the see the light of us matching the big boys and building a dynasty.

Peter Gordon is a Bulldog legend.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't bet on it.

Lethlean and Gil would be pretty chummy from their VAFA days.

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention our "showcase game" on against Port Adelaide during multicultural round.

Lethlean is a puppet, but someone has to take the fall for Carlton's "magnificent seven" and I'm guessing it'll be him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post