Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dalrymple on the Bont, Stringer, Macrae, drafting etc etc. Very interesting listening

This is pretty long, but it's great. it's a long interview with Dalrymple about drafting. Who, when why etc etc.
    Lots of detail on the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 drafts.
    Lots of detail on individual players and the thought processes behind the picks.

And it's all bulldog all the way through.

Enjoy...............

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/road-to-the-draft

2. Thanks bornadog, azabob, josie, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dalrymple on the Bont, Stringer, Macrae, drafting etc etc. Very interesting listening

Interesting to hear a few of his thoughts, especially the ruck/forward role.
    We may well be active players at the trade table this year
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dalrymple on the Bont, Stringer, Macrae, drafting etc etc. Very interesting listening

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Twoomey certainly knows his stuff, or reads forums a lot.

Asking about Carlisle, Dalrymple thinks he's a defender, tried not to answer if we were interested in him.
    Do we need another key defender?

Darcy MacPherson is going to play some VFL footy for Footscray later in the year so we can see how he goes against men.

Keen on recruiting zones/academies

Not keen on the 19 year old rule for TAC cup.

Shache or Weitering for number 1 he thinks Weitering.

I think the Lions will pick the opposite.

5. Thanks Bulldog4life, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

It must be a tough call for no 1 this year - Weitering is the better player but genuine no 1 KPFs are worth their weight in gold at AFL level.
    KPDs can be found late in the draft and can be effective if they are disciplined and coached the right way (e.g. Lake was pick 72, Fletcher PSD pick, Morris a rookie, Hamling a trade for peanuts)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the link.

Twoomey certainly knows his stuff, or reads forums a lot.

Asking about Carlisle, Dalrymple thinks he's a defender, tried not to answer if we were interested in him.
    Do we need another key defender?

Darcy MacPherson is going to play some VFL footy for Footscray later in the year so we can see how he goes against men.

Keen on recruiting zones/academies

Not keen on the 19 year old rule for TAC cup.

I think the VFL/State leagues now provide ample opportunities for 18yos who don't make the cut to show their wares to potential recruiters.

Post Thanks / Like

I was listening to Dalrymple and started to wonder whether he would interest other clubs (Carlton) due to his recent good work.
    Having recently lost our Fitness Advisor to Gold Coast, it begs the question - whom could we least afford to lose at the moment from the club - I think Dalrymple is very important for us as is McCartney (list mgt).
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

9. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I was listening to Dalrymple and started to wonder whether he would interest other clubs (Carlton) due to his recent good work.
    Having recently lost our Fitness Advisor to Gold Coast, it begs the question - whom could we least afford to lose at the moment from the club - I think Dalrymple is very important for us as is McCartney (list mgt).
    The more I think about it, the more I believe recruitment is THE most important part of the entire machine.

If you draft and recruit well........all the time............you're always in a position of power.

If you piss high draft picks away, and then have to trade away top picks for players another team took as a rookie, or as a much later pick it's simply bad gearing.
    Dalrymple , since the Christian Howard affair, has just been so good, we need to keep him at all costs.
    Last years draft was the clincher for me. No pick higher than 26 (?) and it appears he's nailed them all. The trades we did all look sound. And the Tom Boyd deal....... it was a big one no doubt........a lot of money....... Ryan Griffen and pick 6......but Ryan was gone anyway.......on top of that he's 29...got a bad back.......and....when he retires in 2 or 3 years, and BIG TOM is just entering his prime.........all the commentators will be drooling about what a great deal we made.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I believe recruitment is THE most important part of the entire machine.

If you draft and recruit well........all the time............you're always in a position of power.

If you piss high draft picks away, and then have to trade away top picks for players another team took as a rookie, or as a much later pick it's simply bad gearing.
    Dalrymple , since the Christian Howard affair, has just been so good, we need to keep him at all costs.
    Last years draft was the clincher for me. No pick higher than 26 (?) and it appears he's nailed them all. The trades we did all look sound. And the Tom Boyd deal....... it was a big one no doubt........a lot of money....... Ryan Griffen and pick 6......but Ryan was gone anyway.......on top of that he's 29...got a bad back.......and....when he retires in 2 or 3 years, and BIG TOM is just entering his prime.........all the commentators will be drooling about what a great deal we made.
    Dalrymple gets the Howard selection thrown at him all the time and from memory I called it a ballsy move on the draft night especially for a first time recruiting manager. I believe the coach was adamant that we pick 2 players with good kicking skills and Dalrymple might have moved off the 'best player available' approach just so slightly to accommodate the coach.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Dalrymple gets the Howard selection thrown at him all the time and from memory I called it a ballsy move on the draft night especially for a first time recruiting manager. I believe the coach was adamant that we pick 2 players with good kicking skills and Dalrymple might have moved off the 'best player available' approach just so slightly to accommodate the coach.
    Jasper Pittard was the player we were closely linked to given the word was we were looking for a half back with good kicking skills. He had a good pedigree and was from the proven elite pathway. Even if we were to reach for kicking skills Howard still didn't make sense. As it turned out Howard couldn't kick anyway.

He has redeemed himself since but that selection was an inexcusable shocker both practically and strategically.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Christian, having Brendan Mccartney as coach never hrlped him either. He nearly ruined alot more players careers then just Howards.

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Jasper Pittard was the player we were closely linked to given the word was we were looking for a half back with good kicking skills. He had a good pedigree and was from the proven elite pathway. Even if we were to reach for kicking skills Howard still didn't make sense. As it turned out Howard couldn't kick anyway.

He has redeemed himself since but that selection was an inexcusable shocker both practically and strategically.
    Howard may not have been able to kick but he could shin the ball beautifully. That goal in the GF last year makes him a Footscray legend along with Art Gregory and Roy Park.

Or was it Tutt?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He also copped a fair bit of criticism for the Lake deal, which seemed to work out well.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I still to this day don't understand why we didn't pick Pittard. Thinking we were so hell bent on Lewis Jetta that we automatically diverted to the guy we planned on picking in the second round out of panic.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Howard may not have been able to kick but he could shin the ball beautifully. That goal in the GF last year makes him a Footscray legend along with Art Gregory and Roy Park.

Or was it Tutt?
    It was Howard. He kicked it off his shin and somehow it swung against the helicopter spin and went straight through the middle. The ironic thing is if he'd made decent contact it would likely have gone out on the full. It was certainly our day that day.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

It was Howard. He kicked it off his shin and somehow it swung against the helicopter spin and went straight through the middle. The ironic thing is if he'd made decent contact it would likely have gone out on the full. It was certainly our day that day.
    It was. Especially the last quarter. It's always how I imagined Footscray winning a flag would be. The last quarter comeback, the pro Footscray crowd, family and friends, me up on the dais accepting the cup and kissing the bulldog on the front of my guernsey to the roar of the crowd...

Well all but the last one actually happened. And I was on the ground when the cup was raised.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

21. Likes Bulldog4life, Greystache, Smads57 liked this post