Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

If I was Eddie, I'd be going after someone like a Caracella type. Long apprenticeship, has some history with the club (easier to sell to the members), clearly talented and is at the cutting edge of the modern game - obviously knows his stuff as evidenced by the improvement in Richmond's game plan this year.

Having said that, please give Bucks a 3 year extension - he just needs a little luck and it will all come good
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I call this the Rohde effect
    You could also call it the Roos effect
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You'd have to think Eddie is having a big crack at Clarko behind the scenes.
    Good luck to them.

Unfortunately Clarko's done and his game style is too. Ten years isn't a bad stint, but the game has closed in on him and his players and is played differently now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Good luck to them.

Unfortunately Clarko's done and his game style is too. Ten years isn't a bad stint, but the game has closed in on him and his players and is played differently now.
    To be fair to Clarko, he has lost a lot of good assistants over the years, which I think has compounded his issues
    Last edited by bornadog; 26-04-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to them.

That's a remarkable statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I call this the Rohde effect
    Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You could also call it the Roos effect
    For every Roos there are at least 10 Rohdes.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to them.

Are you serious with this statement? There is no way known I'd state Clarko is done. He has shown time and time again that he changes with the times and has never been stale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    That's a remarkable statement.
    Agree. Not sure how anyone can write him off at this stage.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I was making pretty bold statements early this morning, wasn't I.

It is too early to write him off, but there's just a part of me that is unsettled about his behaviour in the most recent off season and the type of footy Hawthorn have been playing since about half way through last year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was making pretty bold statements early this morning, wasn't I.

It is too early to write him off, but there's just a part of me that is unsettled about his behaviour in the most recent off season and the type of footy Hawthorn have been playing since about half way through last year.

Clarko seems to march to the beat of a different drum than the rest of us. He's a strange, premiership winning dude.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any reason why Clarkson wouldn't be the man to take Hawthorn all of the way through their next phase, through to their next period of contention.

As Topdog said, he has always been able to re-invent their game style and most of the time has been ahead of the curve. Now he has a group he needs to build/re-build - he's arguably more capable than anyone to do that. He's about 12 or 13 years into coaching now, won a flag after about 4 years, and then 3 more in the period 5/6/7 years after that.

If you look at Sheedy as an example, he won 2 premierships as a new coach, then a 3rd 9 years later, and another 7 years after that. If Clarkson has the motivation to do it - I don't see why you wouldn't be putting faith into a long term view with Clarko if you were Hawthorn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

For every Roos there are at least 10 Rohdes.
    When Roos was given the interim job at Sydney after Rocket snatched it he impressed a lot of the sponsors between when he took over and when the Swans offered Wallace the role. The Swans had to back pedal on the Wallace offer as the sponsors put pressure on the club to give the job to Roos. That obviously worked out far better for the Swans but it doesn't always.

If Buckley departs or if he is pushed too early in the season the interim coach might just do enough where it forces the club to pick him. That's OK if you have a designated 2IC being groomed for the top position but it can work against you if the interim coach strings together enough wins.

If I was Eddie I'd wait to round 16 before considering getting rid of Buckley.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    When Roos was given the interim job at Sydney after Rocket snatched it he impressed a lot of the sponsors between when he took over and when the Swans offered Wallace the role. The Swans had to back pedal on the Wallace offer as the sponsors put pressure on the club to give the job to Roos. That obviously worked out far better for the Swans but it doesn't always.

If Buckley departs or if he is pushed too early in the season the interim coach might just do enough where it forces the club to pick him. That's OK if you have a designated 2IC being groomed for the top position but it can work against you if the interim coach strings together enough wins.

If I was Eddie I'd wait to round 16 before considering getting rid of Buckley.
    They have Sanderson in place as the 2IC don't they? You're right, He might be too good an alternative to dispense with conveniently at season's end from the supporters and everyone not aware that the club might want to go in a different direction. If I were Collingwood I'd be going new, young coach. Complicate things with fresh ideas for a couple of years.

Maybe they could hire Plough as a consultant in what not to do in this situation?

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They have Sanderson in place as the 2IC don't they? You're right, He might be too good an alternative to dispense with conveniently at season's end from the supporters and everyone not aware that the club might want to go in a different direction. If I were Collingwood I'd be going new, young coach. Complicate things with fresh ideas for a couple of years.

Maybe they could hire Plough as a consultant in what not to do in this situation?
    Sanderson and Buckley are best mates so I can't see him going for the job if Bucks does get the boot.

Knowing Collingwood, Scott Burns would have to be a good shot at it.

Post Thanks / Like

How has FIGJAM not been sacked, taking them from just after a flag, to worse year on year, every year.

2012 - 4th
    2013 - 6th
    2014 - 11th
    2015 - 12th
    2016 - 12th (worse percentage)
    2017 - currently 15th, projected 14th or 15th

I can't imagine him getting another contract, but surely sack him and use the cover of it to make progressive changes to team selection and general player management.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023