Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How has FIGJAM not been sacked, taking them from just after a flag, to worse year on year, every year.

2012 - 4th
    2013 - 6th
    2014 - 11th
    2015 - 12th
    2016 - 12th (worse percentage)
    2017 - currently 15th, projected 14th or 15th

I can't imagine him getting another contract, but surely sack him and use the cover of it to make progressive changes to team selection and general player management.
    Wasn't sacking their last coach and making changes to team selection and the management of players how they got themselves into this situation in the first place?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the experiment of untried club greats turned coaches officially failed now?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    How has FIGJAM not been sacked, taking them from just after a flag, to worse year on year, every year.

2012 - 4th
    2013 - 6th
    2014 - 11th
    2015 - 12th
    2016 - 12th (worse percentage)
    2017 - currently 15th, projected 14th or 15th

I can't imagine him getting another contract, but surely sack him and use the cover of it to make progressive changes to team selection and general player management.
    Surely Eddie has been in his ear trying to convince him to resign. The next 2 months are as big a test for Eddie as they are for Bucks.

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem at Collingwood is deeper than the coach.

The list management has been appalling, although the responsibility there may also be due to the involvement of the coach.

The drafting has been very ordinary with a propensity to select players who have injury concerns (Scharenberg, Freeman) as well as Wells (free agent).

Whoever thought Mayne was worth the contract they gave him should never work at a football club again.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

The list management has been appalling, although the responsibility there may also be due to the involvement of the coach.

The drafting has been very ordinary with a propensity to select players who have injury concerns (Scharenberg, Freeman) as well as Wells (free agent).

Whoever thought Mayne was worth the contract they gave him should never work at a football club again.
    Absolutely, but Buckley has taken a good team and made them worse year on year for 6 years. That must surely be a record. If his name was Rhode, McCartney, Watters, Neeld etc. he'd have been sacked a long time ago. And I don't think he can coach.

I think WD54 is right too about it being a test for Eddie. If the board through Eddie want him to resign or are forced to sack him, Eddie has to then take a huge burden of responsibility for the last 6 years. Bucks to me seems the type who will fall on his sword to avoid gutless administrators from having to do the hard stuff.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Correct. How does a footy club conspire to:
    Remove the current premiership coach?
    Cause such a derailment to their 2011 season that they blow back to back flags?
    Manage to have more official illicit drug infringements than any other club?
    Manage to land and then lose perhaps the best football manager in the business, Neil Balme?
    Not only lose Balme, but replace him with the soon to be banned Gubby Allen?
    Recruit Chris Mayne on a four year deal?! (Did they perhaps confuse him with David Mundy?!)
    Recruit a broken Shannon Wells?
    Manage to have four (or is it five?) football managers for Buckley to work with over the past six seasons?

Maybe Buckley isn't a great coach, but bloody hell, the above makes for a pretty rocky road!

I couldn't believe the path taken by Collingwood at the time that Eddie anointed Buckley. I have it on excellent authority that from that moment on, Malthouse removed Buckley from the inner-sanctum of assistant coaches - thus inhibiting Buckley's development. If you look at the list of fellow assistant coaches at Collingwood at the time, it includes a who's who of current AFL coaches.

Not only that, but a vindictive Malthouse was always going to undermine the transition to Buckley by ensuring the group was polarised. Several senior players were in Camp Mick for life. It was a debacle.

The architect of the debacle was Edward McGuire. He turned a likely dynasty into what is now a steaming pile of proverbial.

McGuire's first few years in the presidency were outstanding. His promotional flair and commercial contacts were the perfect recipe to convert Collingwood into the juggernaut they should always have been (but for generations of backward looking, small thinking, amateurish administration.) He landed big sponsors, formed excellent commercial alignments - although nothin too mind-bogglingly complex or creative - Signing Malthouse as one of the most tried and true coaches in the game made complete sense. It was a non-speculative, blue chip investment. Solid, sensible and fitting. No question.

However, as with many people, hubris crept in and Eddie began to creep further and further into the football department. His blue chip investments began to get very, very speculative with the Buckley switch. Collingwood had the best coaching panel in the game in 2010 - led by a strong elder statesman (if you can call Mick a statesman..!) Almost an NFL - type model whereby talented assistants were overseen by the elder statesman. It seemed the perfect modern game blueprint. I remember thinking at the end of our 2008-2010 window "bloody hell, how are clubs like us going to catch them, now?!"

Then Eddie came in and ripped it up. The place has been an underachieving debacle ever since. Such a pity..!

Collingwood owes McGuire a lot, but I feel that he probably owes them a lot back, now.. it might be time to pass the torch on - if the right person comes along.

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great summary Webby. A massive FUP

Post Thanks / Like

As far as Mayne us concerned wasn't he signed by the footy manager (not Balme or Allen, another one that was moved on late last year) that is now gone?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    As far as Mayne us concerned wasn't he signed by the footy manager (not Balme or Allen, another one that was moved on late last year) that is now gone?
    Balme was replaced by Gubby, so if it was the football manager it was one of them.

Given the time frame the commitment may have been made by Balme, which would be sweet justice given that Eddie was turfing Balme for Gubby.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

If Buckley goes by the end of the season I'd like us to try and secure Sanderson as an assistant coach. He would be a real asset for any club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"