Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Campbell revels in rucking role

link

THE NUMBER one ruck position at the Western Bulldogs has been a revolving door so far in 2015.

Will Minson, Ayce Cordy and Tom Campbell have all had stints in the spot without any of them making it his own.

But with the Bulldogs just weeks out from a likely finals campaign, Campbell is Luke Beveridge's present choice and the 23-year-old is keen to keep it that way.

"I've worked my way in and I'm working hard to keep my spot," Campbell told AFL.com.au.

"What I'm required to do is bring a really physical contest, help the midfielders out at ground level and provide a really strong contest in the air.

"It's a simple role, but it does take a lot of hard work."

Bulldogs assistant coach and 2007 Geelong premiership ruckman Steven King has played a major role in his development, but Campbell couldn't be more thankful to a man vying for his position.

"Will Minson, in particular, has fostered a close group between us ruckman and we really support each other," Campbell said.

"We've got a really great relationship."

Since making his debut in 2012, Campbell has been in and out of the senior side and managed only 24 games.

The former rookie didn't play his first senior match of the season until round 16 due to form and injury, but he hasn't missed a game since.

"Continuity in my footy is something I've been working really hard to achieve and the past few weeks have been the first time in my career I've put together some of good performances," said Campbell, who is averaging 24 hit-outs a game in 2015.

"It was frustrating being out of the side knowing I can play well at AFL level."

With that frustration behind him, Campbell is fully aware he needs to do more than just his fair share of the ruck duties to keep the coach happy.

"Luke Beveridge has really stressed we need to be able to play multiple roles," Campbell said.

"I work really hard on my ruck work but also on my leading patterns and forward craft with (forwards coach) Daniel Giansiracusa."

"There's been really clear messaging right throughout the season from Luke about what's expected from ruckman and I've worked really hard to deliver on those."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Campbell revels in rucking role

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "There's been really clear messaging right throughout the season from Luke about what's expected from ruckman and I've worked really hard to deliver on those."
    All about this.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like him even more. Looks AFL level.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of comparisons to the "People's Beard" in the role he plays. Really like Tom's game at the moment.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly made big strides in the last few weeks. Still only 23 and a lot of Rucks are still improving at 25 so hopefully plenty more to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Second time in two weeks that he's beaten down on the opposition's ruck so badly they haven't seen out the game as the first ruck.

As an aside, I don't think I feel more sympathy for any player in the AFL than Tom McDonald. He is so much better than everyone else around him he has to clean up for all of their mistakes, regardless of position.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Works really hard and getting better with each game. Minson looks more like someone who is just going through the motions rather than a player who is desperate to get the number one spot back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Works really hard and getting better with each game. Minson looks more like someone who is just going through the motions rather than a player who is desperate to get the number one spot back.
    Roughy was given the nod as first ruck at Footscray on the weekend which means Will is way down the pecking order.

I really hope we can find a good home for him next year.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.