Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs no certainty to host final at Etihad Stadium

link

THE Western Bulldogs and AFL say it is still premature to discuss the possibility of Etihad Stadium hosting an elimination final.

The MCG has given its blessing for the Dogs to host a cut-throat final on their indoor fortress, but unless they are scheduled to host Adelaide it would take a change in AFL tradition.

Since Etihad Stadium opened in 2000 only one final between two Victorian teams has been played there — when Geelong hosted Hawthorn in that season.

Since then Hawthorn (twice), Essendon, North Melbourne and most recently St Kilda in 2011 have hosted elimination finals against interstate clubs at the venue.

Should the Bulldogs host Richmond in the first week of the finals the AFL would likely schedule that match at the MCG to maximise attendance.

The Tigers and Bulldogs drew 49,945 to the MCG in Round 2 — the biggest crowd the Bulldogs had played in front of since early 2011.

The Dogs and North Melbourne drew 28,512 and 27,164 to their Etihad Stadium contests last year.

They meet for the first time this season on Saturday.

The Dogs are 10-2 at Etihad Stadium this year with their seven 100-plus scores all coming on their home deck — for seven wins.

MCC chief executive Stephen Gough said this month the MCG was well ahead in its requirement to play 10 finals over five years in the first two weeks of the finals.

“If Richmond finished fifth they would play at the MCG in week one and if the Western Bulldogs finished sixth they would play at Etihad,” he said.

“That is their home ground and they would have the right to have a view on where they would play.”

Etihad Stadium confirmed the venue was available and communications manager Bill Lane said while the AFL determined the September fixture, they would be “delighted” to host a final.

“We’d be especially delighted if a match involved one or two of our partner clubs,” Lane said.

Dogs president Peter Gordon said he wouldn’t contact the league until his side was a September certainty.

“When we get to a position where we are a mathematical certainty to make the finals then I may turn my attention to it,” Gordon said.

“As I do the maths we are not mathematical certainties, so like everyone else ... we are completely focused on this weekend.”

An AFL spokesman said: “The AFL will assess it once our finalists are known, as we haven’t yet had a detailed discussion about venues with the ladder still so open to movement.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs no certainty to host final at Etihad Stadium

The saddest stat from that article is that we haven't played in front of a 50,000+ crowd since early 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    The saddest stat from that article is that we haven't played in front of a 50,000+ crowd since early 2011.
    Richmond game there were 49,945, which I guess is the biggest for a long time. (as you say)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to see my team play finals at the MCG, like I've done 10 times since 2006. Etihad is a place for the small fry stuff, the real stuff should always take place at the 'G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I just want to see my team play finals at the MCG, like I've done 10 times since 2006. Etihad is a place for the small fry stuff, the real stuff should always take place at the 'G
    If it really is an advantage for us to play at Etihad, and the results suggest it is, then at Etihad it should be.

Does anyone seriously expect that any interstate clubs should give up their home finals to play at the MCG
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with both of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Western Bulldogs no certainty to host final at Etihad Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I agree with both of you.
    I don't. Play it at Whitten Oval
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but if we manage to finish ahead of Richmond, why should we play at their home ground? Stuff em, im happy if we got 50k in Etihad and only 25k of us were allowed in. Would suit us and our playing style very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I'm sorry but if we manage to finish ahead of Richmond, why should we play at their home ground? Stuff em, im happy if we got 50k in Etihad and only 25k of us were allowed in. Would suit us and our playing style very well.
    Spot on ReLoad.
    Why should we give a leg up to those purile,insipid Richmond rubbish if we finish higher then them.
    It is our right to choose if we play at Etihad or not as our home final,just as the interstate teams have the assurance that they would play at their home ground's by finishing higher on the ladder then their opponent's.

Post Thanks / Like

All Victorian finals should be played at the MCG, unless there are 2 finals in Melbourne on the same day, or a smaller Melbourne based team plays a non-Victorian team.

Just a note about any finals at Etihad Stadium, the public seating capacity is only about 40,000 (after Medallion Club, AFL Members and corporate tickets are removed). At the MCG (non-Grand Final) it is about 60,000 (excluding AFL/MCC members and corporates). And that doesn't include any AFL finals series tickets.
    Footscray member since 1980.

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I like it. Finals should be like the Davis Cup, home team plays wherever it messes with the opposition the most - stuff logistics or commercial concerns. Imagine playing the Bondi Billionaires at WO (or, even better, Williamstown) on a cold, windy day - they'd almost forfeit

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Now that is real home advantage. Lets do it
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

M
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I like it. Finals should be like the Davis Cup, home team plays wherever it messes with the opposition the most - stuff logistics or commercial concerns. Imagine playing the Bondi Billionaires at WO (or, even better, Williamstown) on a cold, windy day - they'd almost forfeit
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Now that is real home advantage. Lets do it
    How funny would it be having a AFL final with admittance through the cafe?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of beating Richmond and or the Crows on the MCG.

If we play either of them there we will, and it will be grand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Because they'll be 75k at the G and the AFL sees $$$. That's 25k more tickets to sell and 25k more pies, beer, etc. etc.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.