Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  55
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Marcus Adams

I worry each tome Marcus tries to kick the ball short. It is one glaring deficiency in his game that he struggles with short kicks. Ask him to hit a target 45m+ away and there is not an issue. This is fixable. Other than that, I have been really impressed with his performance this year and am not concerned that there has been a downward trend on his output over the last few weeks.

On a side note, did anyone notice Brereton refer to him as "dad" on the fox footy pre game show on Friday night? It's insulting to our club that these so called experts are so ignorant. It might not seem much to others but it really $hits me that these commentators, who I can only assume are on good coin, make so many blatant errors.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

On a side note, did anyone notice Brereton refer to him as "dad" on the fox footy pre game show on Friday night? It's insulting to our club that these so called experts are so ignorant. It might not seem much to others but it really $hits me that these commentators, who I can only assume are on good coin, make so many blatant errors.
    Yes I did notice that, and it's the second time (at least) that Brereton has done it - he also referred to Adams being nicknamed 'Dad' on SEN a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe no one has corrected him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Yes I did notice that, and it's the second time (at least) that Brereton has done it - he also referred to Adams being nicknamed 'Dad' on SEN a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe no one has corrected him.
    My rule is that you never interrupt stupidity with people like Dermie.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see Adams get back to the basics of running, jumping and punching the ball.

From my perspective, in recent weeks he's been caught flat footed in contests and thus has been out-marked quite a bit. He's still trying to go for his marks, but it's nowhere near as effective as when he can get a run and jump at it. He might be a physical beast, but he's a better defender when he gives himself some space rather than trying to beat his opponent in a 1-v-1 tussle.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog 'Specimen' in awe of the mighty Texan

THE MEMORIES of Taylor Walker leading his Crows to victory in the 2015 elimination final are something the Western Bulldogs would like to forget.

The Adelaide skipper was immense in the seven-point win, grabbing 10 marks and kicking three goals to be arguably best player on the ground, and probably the difference between the two sides in the end.

But as the premiership contenders prepare to face off for the first time since last September, the Dogs have unearthed a player capable of mixing it with the Crows' marquee man.

Marcus Adams has won many admirers in his debut AFL campaign and the mature-aged recruit is looking forward to standing a player he respects enormously, and who he feels he'd have a lot in common with.

"Tex seems like a real funny, down-to-earth sort of bloke and I'd reckon I would get along with him," Adams told AFL.com.au.

"He’s one of my favorite players because of the way he plays the game.

"I've watched him for a while now and he has so many ways he can win a contest, so I'll have be on top of my game."

The West Perth product, dubbed 'The Specimen' for his imposing build is certainly primed for the pivotal match up.

His form has been so good - Luke Beveridge went as far to say Adams' first few AFL games were as good as any key defender.

While he's "stoked" to receive such glowing praise, the 22-year-old says it has been the coach's unwavering belief that has helped him hold his own against guns Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt and Jarrad Waite in his first six league games.

"It was a little surreal at first to be honest because I've watched these guys on TV and now I'm standing next to them," Adams said.

"I never liked to lose a contest at WAFL level, but you're never going to win every contest against players of that calibre, so it's been a challenge to counteract such champions.

"Coming into my first season of AFL footy, I didn't know what to expect and how I'd transition, but I've been happy with how I've adapted to the big time."

What sets Adams apart from a lot of key defenders is his ability to take a contested mark, and that rare attribute sees him sit ninth in the competition with 14 to his name.

"We do have the license to take contested marks and get the ball back if we think we can," Adams said.

"Taking the ball off the opposition is the best way to defend.

"Getting the balance of when to spoil and when to mark is something I'm still learning."

While still a work in progress, Adams is adjusting well to living in Melbourne and residing by himself.

"Early days was a big challenge, not seeing my family and friends very often, but I've settled in and made some great mates," Adams said.

"I've just been getting used to the Melbourne traffic and the way of life over here.

"And I'm not a bad cook, but I don't like cleaning - I just can't find the motivation."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see The Specimen lay a bone crunching tackle on Tex. There's a new sheriff in town ranger!

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So how or what do with him next year, in the sense do we offer him an extension as one of uncontracted players passed next year. Presuming his form and attitude are good and we'd like him to stay.

If he knocks it back, I guess we know he wants back to WA. I suppose offering a contract helps a narrative he's a required player and maybe sets up any legitimacy requesting a decent player back. You'd think both WA teams should improve on next year so slipping in the PSD isn't too much a problem. Do we put the time into him and his manager, or focus on the other uncontracted players and simply look to set up a trading position?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If he warrants a spot and will help us win next seasons flag then he plays. Have a contract on the table for him but worry about him leaving next off season.
    The curse is dead.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    If he warrants a spot and will help us win next seasons flag then he plays. Have a contract on the table for him but worry about him leaving next off season.
    Playing is a no brainer if he's fit and in form. I guess the question should be, does JMac put in a heap of hours into his management throughout next year while other players need signing up, and the time he needs to put into managers of big free agents and other possible trades. If JMac isn't going to get a contract signed, do we just accept it and deploy JMac into trying to get players signed up who do want to play for us in 2018. Or just keep fighting until the last second?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think he let the cat out the bag feeling homesick hinting to being injured and not playing with the boys..a lonely road in your first year.
    Think if he gets a good season, no major injuries and another year of settling, we have another good year and he gets closer to some of the guys he might decide he likes it and stays.
    I would be putting into him big time to stay.
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think he let the cat out the bag feeling homesick hinting to being injured and not playing with the boys..a lonely road in your first year.
    Think if he gets a good season, no major injuries and another year of settling, we have another good year and he gets closer to some of the guys he might decide he likes it and stays.
    I would be putting into him big time to stay.
    Tend to agree that homesickness can be overcome if he is playing regularly. Needs to have some hobbies outside of footy to keep the mind busy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It has been stated in the media that Adams never requested a trade and looks forward to being a Dog next year, but was open to a trade home should the club have the right offer. I don't get why this ever made it to the media. No good for Adams or the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    It has been stated in the media that Adams never requested a trade and looks forward to being a Dog next year, but was open to a trade home should the club have the right offer. I don't get why this ever made it to the media. No good for Adams or the club.
    It got to the media when his manager one afternoon got onto Trade Radio and announced it. Not good for the club, but perhaps good for Adams and a WA club if they got/get him cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It got to the media when his manager one afternoon got onto Trade Radio and announced it. Not good for the club, but perhaps good for Adams and a WA club if they got/get him cheap.
    Didn't realise that. Sounds like a shitty move by the manager, don't see how it benefits anyone, least of all Marcus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Didn't realise that. Sounds like a shitty move by the manager, don't see how it benefits anyone, least of all Marcus.
    Come on now, his manager could've got a nice bonus. So I can think of one person it benefits.