Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  55
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Marcus Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ditto - was worried about his turnovers but if he counters that by being another genuine intercept marking option in defence I'll happily about-face
    That's the big attraction isn't it? Developing that intercept marking ability and having two Easton Woods across half back is such a beautiful prospect. Some teams just won't score against us at all. Dad will get bored down in the opposition goal square with the ball not making it all the way down to full back.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what he is getting better at is decision making. He is not a terrible kick per se, but he was taking bad options in the scratch match and NAB1. As he adjusts to the pace and systems, I'm sure his disposal efficiency will improve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's the big attraction isn't it? Developing that intercept marking ability and having two Easton Woods across half back is such a beautiful prospect. Some teams just won't score against us at all. Dad will get bored down in the opposition goal square with the ball not making it all the way down to full back.
    Really?

Our forwards and mids need to smarten up their defensive transistion skills a bit for that to be the case... Defensive positioning also needs to get better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really?

Our forwards and mids need to smarten up their defensive transistion skills a bit for that to be the case... Defensive positioning also needs to get better.
    Yep, we are still miles off the pace where we need to be defensively from what I've seen thus far over pre-season.

Post Thanks / Like

He's got a heck of a lot of upside to him, but as others above have suggested our defence is very leaky and susceptible to being torn apart in a 10 minute burst.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd expect to have some big scores kicked against us this year. The team is still generally young and inexperienced, and Bevo has only had 2 pre seasons to hone his plan.

I hope we can get plenty of games into Collins, Adams, Hamling & Cordy while they have the support of the old stagers in the backline.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst our systems seem high risk and can look awful when teams get in behind, it should be noted that Bevo had one brief preseason and an inexperienced key defence group to work with last year and took us from a team that conceded 2177 points to a team that conceded 1825 points (avg 82.9 points per game) - the 2nd lowest since the 1980s (only 2010 was lower).

This year he's had more time to develop his strategies and a deeper pool to work with. I'm excited to see what we can produce. Besides it doesn't really matter what the opposition kicks, as long as we kick more

9. Likes Bulldog Joe, The Doctor, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Whilst our systems seem high risk and can look awful when teams get in behind, it should be noted that Bevo had one brief preseason and an inexperienced key defence group to work with last year and took us from a team that conceded 2177 points to a team that conceded 1825 points (avg 82.9 points per game) - the 2nd lowest since the 1980s (only 2010 was lower).

This year he's had more time to develop his strategies and a deeper pool to work with. I'm excited to see what we can produce. Besides it doesn't really matter what the opposition kicks, as long as we kick more
    All true - but he also had more experienced KPDs to work with.
    Talia & Fletcher Roberts had some games under their belt, this season we could feasibly have two debutants, Hamling and Zordy making the biggest contributions. We'll need experienced heads around them to shore up their positioning (Wood, Murphy, Morris & Boyd must be regular fixtures in our defensive rotations)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    All true - but he also had more experienced KPDs to work with.
    Talia & Fletcher Roberts had some games under their belt, this season we could feasibly have two debutants, Hamling and Zordy making the biggest contributions. We'll need experienced heads around them to shore up their positioning (Wood, Murphy, Morris & Boyd must be regular fixtures in our defensive rotations)
    All those players except Talia are still there and a year more experienced. Our position is much better this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will be one of the highest scoring teams and also have a reasonable score against us. We may beat up on some teams but others will challenge us in shootouts like the final last year. If our attack gets shut down I don't think we can hold off an opposition for too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really?

Not really, no.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes stefoid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One would have to allow for opponents countering our strategy last year. First year honeymoon for the coach is over.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post

Great post PP. Thanks for the figures.

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck on debut to Marcus.

Nice interview here on Today Tonight in Perth. Watch the great goal towards the end of the video
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can now all see why Bevo was chasing Adams so hard. Add in Collins when he's ready and Hamling & Roberts to fight hard for the spots, Zaine as a tall 3rd, and our defence gets taller and better. Fair debut by The Specimen.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023