Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  30
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Name A Game (Off Season Trivia Game)

That's the one HD. SW looked a fringe flanker at the time and struggled for a while until cementing his right spot in the centre. Was DelRe also.

You're up.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay; 2000s, a backman had the chance to kick the longest distance goal possible but stupidly did the team thing instead. We won this game by the same margin we would later in the season lose to the same side by in one of the prettiest games I've ever seen.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    That's the one HD. SW looked a fringe flanker at the time and struggled for a while until cementing his right spot in the centre. Was DelRe also.

You're up.
    That match was the reason Michael Gardiner got his welcome to the Whitten Oval in 1997. We played West Coast the week after that Essendon game and Worsfold and his heroic mates went to town on West so harshly that our guys were horrified and let the West Coast players know that the next time they bought a new player to Whitten Oval the shit would hit the fan. Gardiner was that new player.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Yes it was Round 15, 1967. We scored 14 goals for the game, 7 in the second qtr and 7 in the last. Won by a goal. Howling northerly to Mt. Mistake goal. Only 4 wins for the season of which 2 were against Richmond (eventual premiers) and Collingwood who finished in the top 4. We finished bottom of the ladder. Bad times for the club and supporters. Any stories about Don Mckenzie? I know he went to Sunshine in the VFA and i think he won the VFA best and fairest. Came back to coach in the aftermath of Billy Goggin leaving from memory.
    A bit of trivia....I know when he was playing with us he worked at the Williamstown Dockyards. A very underrated player who knew where the goals were too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Yes it was Round 15, 1967. We scored 14 goals for the game, 7 in the second qtr and 7 in the last. Won by a goal. Howling northerly to Mt. Mistake goal. Only 4 wins for the season of which 2 were against Richmond (eventual premiers) and Collingwood who finished in the top 4. We finished bottom of the ladder. Bad times for the club and supporters. Any stories about Don Mckenzie? I know he went to Sunshine in the VFA and i think he won the VFA best and fairest. Came back to coach in the aftermath of Billy Goggin leaving from memory.

I did a course at Footscray TAFE with his daughter, does that count?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I did a course at Footscray TAFE with his daughter, does that count?
    Peta sat in front of me at the Elimination Final.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Peta sat in front of me at the Elimination Final.
    That's her name! Thanks it was driving me mad trying to remember. I am talking HSC English, the year must have been 1986 maybe?

Might not have been English actually. It was HSC but something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Okay; 2000s, a backman had the chance to kick the longest distance goal possible but stupidly did the team thing instead. We won this game by the same margin we would later in the season lose to the same side by in one of the prettiest games I've ever seen.
    2006, early rounds vs Geelong we win by a point and lose by a point to them later in the year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    2006, early rounds vs Geelong we win by a point and lose by a point to them later in the year.
    I think the Longest Distance Goal was a reference to Gilbee kicking in to himself at full back and running the length of the ground unchallenged.

Man we had some cracking contests with Geelong through those years.

11. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bingo - the second game made me feel super weird because I actually enjoyed it more than the game we won. Anyway, your turn.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I am a game played at the MCG in the 2000s which we won well but the game was remembered more as the precursor of a fierce rivalry between two players further steeping one of them in controversy.

The team we beat came back and beat us later in the year controversially, but not for the same reasons.

Year, opposition, round if you can get it and why the game was controversial.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a game played at the MCG in the 2000s which we won well but the game was remembered more as the precursor of a fierce rivalry between two players further steeping one of them in controversy.

The team we beat came back and beat us later in the year controversially, but not for the same reasons.

Year, opposition, round if you can get it and why the game was controversial.
    That narrows it down to only five or six.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Was it Bulldogs v's Tigers in 2001 when Libba and Knights had a little altercation.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kt31 View Post
    was it bulldogs v's tigers in 2001 when libba and knights had a little altercation.
    r3, 2001?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Was it Bulldogs v's Tigers in 2001 when Libba and Knights had a little altercation.
    Spot on KT you're up

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    r3, 2001?
    It was early rounds too (had to check as didn't know round). It was round 2.