Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grand Final 2015 - Hawks vs Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm in awe of Clarkson and this Hawthorn team. Their players can play in multiple positions, they can hit up targets, they make smart decisions with and without the ball, they defend exceptionally well as a team, they attack with speed and precision.

Clarkson has basically won 4 flags with 3 different game plans, after taking over an aging rabble of a playing list. He is by far the best coach in the competition and the best coach in the last 30 years IMO.

Cyril was very good early when it mattered but I thought Smith and Lake were better.
    Sorry, but aging rabble of a playing list is an overreach!.... not that i disagree that it's a mighty effort..

Post Thanks / Like

Rioli was in everything in the first half. He's like a cat the way he can compete in the air then land on his feet, dodge an opponent and get a clean kick away
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Sorry, but aging rabble of a playing list is an overreach!.... not that i disagree that it's a mighty effort..
    Hawthorn in 2004 were an aging rabble. Their list was woeful at the time. As soon as Clarkson came on board, they nailed some key drafts, off-loaded some overpaid veterans (Hay, Thompson) and the rest is history. Sounds a bit like what we did in 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn in 2004 were an aging rabble. Their list was woeful at the time. As soon as Clarkson came on board, they nailed some key drafts, off-loaded some overpaid veterans (Hay, Thompson) and the rest is history. Sounds a bit like what we did in 2014
    And think of the players drafted who left: Hay and Thompson, in their prime as you say, plus, Rawlings, Buddy, Ellis, Savage, Young (in his prime), Kennedy, McGlyn, Williams (in his prime), and others.

1. Imagine what th could be a few of them still there...
    2. They nailed a lot of top draft selections and top trades is losing those players. There's no consistently bad run ie. Walsh, Power, Williams, pick 6 and PSD 1 on Rawlings, pick 17 on Koops (D. Mundy), massive overs on Street, A. Cordy, Howard.

Gotta hope we keep up the good run at the draft and trade.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think West Coast improve after this. They were clearly overwhelmed by the occasion - some of their missed tackles and disposals were just woeful.

Now they've got it out of their system, I can see them pressing again next year.

In fact, if we make a GF, I kind of expect us to perform like WC did yesterday, especially if we come up against a team like Hawthorn or Sydney. You almost need to lose one, get close to the summit, before you can actually get to the top.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

If Hawthorn win ANOTHER flag in my lifetime I'll spew up.

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think West Coast improve after this. They were clearly overwhelmed by the occasion - some of their missed tackles and disposals were just woeful.

Now they've got it out of their system, I can see them pressing again next year.

In fact, if we make a GF, I kind of expect us to perform like WC did yesterday, especially if we come up against a team like Hawthorn or Sydney. You almost need to lose one, get close to the summit, before you can actually get to the top.
    Yeah I was watching the gutted WC fans and thinking the same thing. It was probably how we would have gone V Hawks, had we snuck in.
    However, they have a few downhill skiers in their list. I've always thought Josh Hill was suspect in some key areas, ( Hangs his head far too easily ) Sharrod Wellingham also. To win a Granny, need all hands on deck.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And think of the players drafted who left: Hay and Thompson, in their prime as you say, plus, Rawlings, Buddy, Ellis, Savage, Young (in his prime), Kennedy, McGlyn, Williams (in his prime), and others.

1. Imagine what th could be a few of them still there...
    2. They nailed a lot of top draft selections and top trades is losing those players. There's no consistently bad run ie. Walsh, Power, Williams, pick 6 and PSD 1 on Rawlings, pick 17 on Koops (D. Mundy), massive overs on Street, A. Cordy, Howard.

Gotta hope we keep up the good run at the draft and trade.
    It would be simplistic in the extreme to make some quip here about equalisation, but Hawthorn have made every right decision possible in a purely football sense, starting with getting Al Clarkson as coach. They've Recruited well, managed well and maintained stability within the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It would be simplistic in the extreme to make some quip here about equalisation, but Hawthorn have made every right decision possible in a purely football sense, starting with getting Al Clarkson as coach. They've Recruited well, managed well and maintained stability within the club.
    We head hunter Eade and by the time Hawthorn were up with the fact a Hawthorn hero was heading to us, they took more time and they picked Clarko. It would be very interesting to know if the roles were reversed and Eade went back 'home' to Hawthorn whether

A) We would've replaced Cheap as Chips with another untried coach in Clarko
    B) If we did select Clarko, what he would've done with the list
    C) Whether he would be as successful a coach with us
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    Had the privilege of being in the centre circle as the players were presented with the medals. Then had the players in the umpires rooms with us before they went back on the the ground at 7.30pm to be presented to the crowd.
    I took a photo with Brian and told him he'd clearly made the right decision.

Great day, but very jealous of the Hawks supporters.
    I wore my Bulldogs T-Shirt with pride yesterday. So many people saying how much they enjoy watching us play.
    They won't enjoy it as much when we pummel them. Hawks have made a good blueprint, and only better than that will beat them.
    Eagles I felt didn't show enough heart. You have to stay in the game, and sometimes luck can go your way.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in awe of Clarkson and this Hawthorn team. Their players can play in multiple positions, they can hit up targets, they make smart decisions with and without the ball, they defend exceptionally well as a team, they attack with speed and precision.

Clarkson has basically won 4 flags with 3 different game plans, after taking over an aging rabble of a playing list. He is by far the best coach in the competition and the best coach in the last 30 years IMO.

Cyril was very good early when it mattered but I thought Smith and Lake were better.
    Clarkson will end up with a medal named after him. Destined for Legend status one day. At least if they build a statue they'll save money on the bronze.

I thought Cyril deserved the Norm Smith. Yes, other players cut the Eagles to pieces, but it was Cyril setting up and winning the match in the first quarter that piled on all that scoreboard pressure and allowed his team mates to dine out.

Overrated? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But if he came west we'd grovel at his feet.

Now they have the three peat they'll be going all out to hit up four in a row and really join the immortals. When they do fall they'll hit the deck fairly hard. Bulldogs to do a 2004 Port Adelaide, I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn had undergone a couple of years of concerted rebuilding prior to Clarkson's arrival. Peter Schwabb had a very ordinary list - one that was not so much a rabble as just simply heading nowhere. The were mid table nothing's. No direction and heading nowhere. They began sorting that out in 2003 and Clarkson had a pretty healthy young list of players under the age of 22 when he coached his first game in 2005. Admittedly they weren't quite ready as yet, but he had a 22yo Sam Mitchell, Hodge (pick 1), Roughead (pick 2), Lewis (pick 6), Franklin (pick 4) to accompany Shane Crawford with 4 seasons left in him. Hawthorn's recruiting was exceptional from 2003 onwards and their list was acknowledged as having some gun young talent and big upside when he took the job.

I'd consider an ageing rabble more akin to the 2015 Carlton list! Hawthorn of 2005 were more akin to the 2015 Doggies list... Certainly not a ageing list. Clarkson deserves the credit he's getting, but Hawthorn's recruiting staff have looked after him extremely well. And their work commenced in 2002. So here's hoping he Dogs are following suit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Yeah I was watching the gutted WC fans and thinking the same thing. It was probably how we would have gone V Hawks, had we snuck in.
    However, they have a few downhill skiers in their list. I've always thought Josh Hill was suspect in some key areas, ( Hangs his head far too easily ) Sharrod Wellingham also. To win a Granny, need all hands on deck.
    Wellingham was far from their worst and had at least the will to attack the ball on Saturday. He's a nice player.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love Wellingham in our side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wellingham was far from their worst and had at least the will to attack the ball on Saturday. He's a nice player.
    Had a very ordinary day.