Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  94
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling

Has a reputation so when he does something wrong that confirms that reputation people take more notice and remember it.

I agree he's been good this year (except for that horrible patch last week) and improved on his areas of concern. Surprises me every week with some bit of contested or defensive work.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he's been ok without being outstanding. I agree that his defensive skills have improved this year as well. Last year he looked to play bruise free football too much. I get that he's the outside player to distribute the ball, but when its your turn to put your head over the ball you do it. It's a brutal sport but thats what they are paid well to do. He is getting caught a bit this year but in his defense teams are definitely hunting us and are closing down our space. We need to tweak his role some more still to utilize his leg canon.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

He certainly looks a more well-rounded player this year.

I'm a fan of him, but I was a fan of Jordie McMahon, too (second mention for him this morning). Both can turn a game with some brilliant ball use, and also turn the ball over and cost a game with some errors they shouldn't make.

Given our lack of high quality users who can really roost the ball, I'm more than happy to take the very good with the occasional bad.

Good post RT.

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I think he's been ok without being outstanding. I agree that his defensive skills have improved this year as well. Last year he looked to play bruise free football too much. I get that he's the outside player to distribute the ball, but when its your turn to put your head over the ball you do it. It's a brutal sport but thats what they are paid well to do. He is getting caught a bit this year but in his defense teams are definitely hunting us and are closing down our space. We need to tweak his role some more still to utilize his leg canon.
    I can't believe he got caught a few times when other players were standing near by watching him with the ball. For gods sake - let him know he is about to be tackled.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can't believe he got caught a few times when other players were standing near by watching him with the ball. For gods sake - let him know he is about to be tackled.
    The blame sits firmly with himself.. Does he think he is the only player on the field?

8. Likes Ozza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Matty Boyd was within 10 metres of him in the centre of the ground when he got run down. You'd think a player of Boyd's experience would have let him know.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Matty Boyd was within 10 metres of him in the centre of the ground when he got run down. You'd think a player of Boyd's experience would have let him know.
    The only thing I can think is roof closed, 30 000 people yelling so maybe it was hard to hear.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The blame sits firmly with himself.. Does he think he is the only player on the field?
    Do you think he does? He gets run down once and everyone wants to drop him. Just sounds like you've found your new Eagleton.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Do you think he does? He gets run down once and everyone wants to drop him. Just sounds like you've found your new Eagleton.
    I make one comment about his carefree state when in possession and I have a new whipping boy?.. Whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, imo Suckling needs to put together a very solid block of form before I would consider his signing a success. His first few games for us are still his best. His form fizzled away after that and has seemingly not recovered.

He has some good tools, but like Stringer, he can get a bit overly ambitious at times. Like Stringer, he needs to pull it back to basic meat and two veg footy and let the opportunities present themselves rather that trying to manufacture them too often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The only thing I can think is roof closed, 30 000 people yelling so maybe it was hard to hear.
    Bevo alluded to this in his post match conference. He said they were great team lifting run downs for the Lions and we either hadn't been talking enough or the noise was too much. I'd expect it'll be addressed this week to improve our talk around the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Bevo alluded to this in his post match conference. He said they were great team lifting run downs for the Lions and we either hadn't been talking enough or the noise was too much. I'd expect it'll be addressed this week to improve our talk around the ball.
    The Bont also got caught.

I agree with Raw Toasts assessment, I think Suckling has actually been playing better than last year, and has surprised me. He is getting plenty of the ball, and makes few errors with his disposal. He has even improved his one on one defensive efforts.

I am not sure the ideal position for him, ie whether he should be playing off the backline, or go to the HFF, but the good thing is he can be flexible.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Gotta say, imo Suckling needs to put together a very solid block of form before I would consider his signing a success. His first few games for us are still his best. His form fizzled away after that and has seemingly not recovered.

He has some good tools, but like Stringer, he can get a bit overly ambitious at times. Like Stringer, he needs to pull it back to basic meat and two veg footy and let the opportunities present themselves rather that trying to manufacture them too often.
    He doesn't impress me that much but I like your comparison. I know I shouldn't expect consistency from a player like Suckling who takes risks and backs his skills but I think with a slight modification to his style he could become a far better footballer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He doesn't impress me that much but I like your comparison. I know I shouldn't expect consistency from a player like Suckling who takes risks and backs his skills but I think with a slight modification to his style he could become a far better footballer.

If he could learn to sacrifice his game occasionally and not always do what comes naturally to him he'd make the team much better. A block or a shepherd for a teammate instead of going for the ball, taking his man away from marking contests instead of running to it and creating a crowd. Little things like that would make him a formidable player as opposed to a bit of a one trick pony.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Suckling can kick a goal which is his biggest asset particularly without Crameri and Dickson who are proven goalkickers. Find his lack of skill a risk as a defender. Believe both Williams and Webb will turn out better options.