Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  81
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome To The Western Bulldogs Bailey Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

The club called and told him he would stay with teammates, one of whom was Lin Yong
    When did we draft this player?

Post Thanks / Like

You might think that the possibility of being drafted to an AFL club would have a potential draftee on the edge of his seat, surrounded by family, straining to hear his name called out.

Not so, Bailey Williams.
    “I was at a friend’s house - I wasn’t watching it at all - I was having pasta watching Home and Away and I got a phone call saying I’d been picked up at 48, to the Bulldogs.”

Williams was this week allocated the number 34 guernsey, the same number worn by Brian Gilmore, the man left holding the footy when the final siren sounded on Grand Final day 1954.

The 189cm midfielder said that once he’d heard he’d been drafted it took a little while for it to feel real, at least until all the phone calls started to roll in.

“[I was] shocked. I didn’t know what to feel, actually. My phone wouldn’t stop ringing and then it started to sink in.”
    The next step for the South Australian was to make the move to Melbourne, something that had its own challenges.

“Mum cried. But there was people at the airport, so that was good. It’s starting to settle in now living with Josh [Dunkley] and Lin Jong, it’s good.

“They’ve been nice.”

But don’t be fooled by the Glenelg product’s laid back nature. Underneath it all is a fierce competitor with elite level agility and excellent decision making skills.

He can also play forward or back and has a 56-disposal performance against SANFL club, Woodville-West Torrens under his belt.

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Memo to Lin Jong.

First job: recommend decent hairdresser for new housemate.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When asked about his 50+ disposal game in the SANFL reserves he mentioned that his team got smashed in that game! I had always assumed his high posession game was based on his side giving a weak opposition a hiding. Imagine if his team were the ones dominating.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    When asked about his 50+ disposal game in the SANFL reserves he mentioned that his team got smashed in that game! I had always assumed his high posession game was based on his side giving a weak opposition a hiding. Imagine if his team were the ones dominating.
    Just hope it wasn't a savvy opposition that didn't mind how many touches he got because he wasn't hurting them. Or his opponent ran off him and kicked 12 from the centre but we probably would have read about that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Was an under 18s match vs the eventual premiers, wwt. Iirc was during the 18s carnival and also clashed with private school footy so both teams where weakened. Glenelg had a player pull out before the match and didn't have a replacement so where one player down to start with. Then a reserves player (playing the next day) withdrew so one of the 18s (a tall forward) was withdrawn early during the third quarter. Bailey and another player (jay Boyle) played 100% match time. Boyle had 45 or so possessions as well.

8. Thanks Sedat, Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In anticipation of being in the final team for Sunday, good luck to Williams, hope he plays a ripper.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In anticipation of being in the final team for Sunday, good luck to Williams, hope he plays a ripper.
    Are you anticipating that he will be selected?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Are you anticipating that he will be selected?
    Didn't Beveridge say at the start of the week that they will look to replace Adams with one of Williams, Collins, Cordy or Hamling? It's hardly anything worth going off but Williams is the only one of that group to be in the squad and the only defender amongst the inclusions.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Didn't Beveridge say at the start of the week that they will look to replace Adams with one of Williams, Collins, Cordy or Hamling? It's hardly anything worth going off but Williams is the only one of that group to be in the squad and the only defender amongst the inclusions.
    yes, that is what I was going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck Bailey - confirmed starter on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Who will present the number 34 guernsey to Bailey?

Mark West?
    Wayde Skipper?
    Ben Sexton?
    Michael McKenna?

Not exactly a star studded selection to pick from!

Post Thanks / Like

Probably Ben Sexton?

Post Thanks / Like

We could do worse than get Mark West in to talk about making the most of opportunities while you have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Did not expect that inclusion. But. Doesnt surprise me. Well done son. Take your chance. While im at it. Keep pressing HC. You will get your chance my boy. Unlucky to miss.