Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Shift forward the catalyst for Adcock's lifeline at Dogs

A MOVE forward in the second half of last season was the catalyst for a lifeline from the Western Bulldogs, according to rookie recruit Jed Adcock.

Predominately a running defender during 12 seasons and 206 games at the Brisbane Lions, Adcock kicked 12 goals in the final six games of 2015.

A four-goal haul against his new club in round 23 was a timely reminder the 30-year-old still had plenty to offer at the highest level.

"I ended up playing forward for the second half of the year, had a couple of really good games," Adcock told RSN radio.

"So I think the club, and especially Luke (Beveridge) probably saw that I could play across the whole ground now - forward, midfield and back."

And his new coach must really love him with Adcock living with Beveridge until his wife and children move to Melbourne later this month.

While he was disappointed he didn't fit in to the future plans at the Gabba, Adcock is excited by what's building at Whitten Oval.

"A lot of people talk about playing at the one club for life, (and) I was always hoping that would be the case, but it wasn't to be and you have to move on pretty quick," Adcock said

"I was lucky enough to get an opportunity around here and hopefully I've got a few years down here. I'm still pushing to play a bit more finals footy and hopefully one-day play in a premiership.

"There's still a big gap between where we finished last year compared to the top-four teams, but we feel if we mature properly and improvement happens like it’s meant to across the board, then that will put us in a good place.

"If we can continue to improve and continue to grow, we feel like we can be up there come September."

If his form warrants, Adcock is a strong chance to be upgraded to the senior list with luckless midfielder Clay Smith likely to spend the first half of 2016 on the long-term injury list as he recovers from a third knee reconstruction in as many years.

And the former Lions skipper's chances of lining up against Fremantle in round one has been made easier by Melbourne's cooler climate.

"It's been nice coming into training at nine o'clock and it's a balmy 25 degrees compared to 35 degrees and 100 per cent humidity and you're losing 4kgs per session," Adcock joked

"That's been a nice change."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-0...feline-at-dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shift forward the catalyst for Adcock's lifeline at Dogs

Really enjoyed his highlights reel. What are the knocks on his game?
    Any thoughts on his drafting?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Really enjoyed his highlights reel. What are the knocks on his game?
    Any thoughts on his drafting?
    Will be great immediate cover for most positions forward and back for the cost of a Rookie spot. If Matthew Boyd goes down we have a player to cover him, if Crameri misses some footy then we have a player to cover him too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is going to be very hard for him to get a game but if there are, God forbid, a few injuries to certain players, he's a chance. He will be good for the VFL side anyway in the same way Brett Goodes was.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I think it is going to be very hard for him to get a game but if there are, God forbid, a few injuries to certain players, he's a chance. He will be good for the VFL side anyway in the same way Brett Goodes was.
    I'm not so sure, if they move Clay Smith to the LTIL then I think Adcock because a good option off the bench.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure, if they move Clay Smith to the LTIL then I think Adcock because a good option off the bench.
    Agree. He's an AFL standard player so he's real close for me. Let the kids try to keep him out of the team with form.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    People said that about Gia in 2013. Every time he was subbed on, the opposition free-kicks against stat would start to go up and the score board would start ticking over. Sometimes you need a bit of experience.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

How often have we recruited a player who has captained his former club? Bruce Duperouzel, Barry Hall, ummm...

Post Thanks / Like

Barry Hall
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Barry Hall

Cyber edit! Should have thought of him first.

And I think that our first VFL captain Con Macarthy was an ex Collingwood captain. So that's 3.

11. Likes Raw Toast, Ghost Dog liked this post