Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Dunkley a happy Bulldog, after a confusing draft night

Link

New pups: (left to right) Western Bulldogs draftees Kieran Collins, Josh Dunkley, Bailey Williams, and Marcus Adams Photo: Getty Images

Josh Dunkley had a decision to make, for most of this year. Sydney, or the draft? The draft, or Sydney? The Swans, or somewhere – anywhere – else? "I left it right up to the last day and almost right up to the last minute," said Dunkley, who nominated as a father-son player then became a Western Bulldog when Sydney didn't match their bid for him on draft night. "I gave it a lot of thought but in the end, none of it really mattered."

Dunkley was watching the draft at home in Yarram with his family when his name was called, and at first wasn't sure where he would be playing next year. He had signed on with the Swans knowing the players, knowing the coaches and believing he would fit in well there, having spent four weeks at his father's club in the last year.

He had spoken to enough other clubs to know they were interested in him, but he couldn't be sure how strong that interest was or whether they would definitely pick him. "I knew anything could happen," he said. "And that made me a bit nervous. But I knew that either way, as long as someone picked me, I was going to end up happy."

On the night, Dunkley watched Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge step on stage at the Adelaide convention centre and start saying his name. But the words "Josh" and "Dunkley" didn't come up on the screen until after Beveridge had gone and sat back down, shaking his head, so Dunkley wasn't sure whether Sydney had matched their bid, or whether he had just become a Bulldogs player. He knew, from what they had told him, that the Swans would make their mind up once they knew how many points they had to come up with to get him, under the new bidding system. But had they matched? Or had they left him go?

It was confusing, then exciting. "It was a weird feeling and it's hard to explain. It was up in the air and then the draft just moved on. I didn't know whether I was going to Sydney or coming here, but then my name came up next to the Bulldogs and that was it," Dunkley said. "It was a strange few seconds, but then it was amazing."

Dunkley had a good time whenever he went up to see the Swans, and would have happily played there. The idea of playing closer to home had always appealed to him, but he would also have gone to another state with a smile on his face if that was how things turned out.

"If I went interstate, Sydney was going to be a good option because I know people at the club and because they're a proud club and a good club," he said. "I'm happy I've stayed here, but if I'd gone to Sydney or Perth or Adelaide it would have been good too and I'd still be the same person I am now. My dream was always just to get on an AFL list. All I wanted was a chance to get through the door and get straight to work and start doing everything I can to make myself a better player."

He's already started. Dunkley has made it through his first few full training sessions in the past week, his time with the Richmond VFL team last season helping him feel ready for the things that would be asked of him, off the field and within sessions. "Even at training today, we were doing structure stuff and team defence, and I feel like I learnt a lot of that last year," the midfielder said. "It's a good start, at least, to have that experience and be able to carry it into this environment."

Dunkley has a little place in history now, as the first player a club chose not to match a bid for. But he was also the Bulldogs' first selection, and that's what matters most. "I can take that with me and use it to make myself a better player," he said. "It was a hard decision and a long decision, but I get to stay close to home and I suppose I have the chance now to build my own career. It's worked out well. It was always going to work out well if I got on a list at the Swans or anywhere else, but I like being here. I couldn't be happier to be here."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Dunkley a happy Bulldog, after a confusing draft night

Pups? Maybe pups that have swallowed growth hormones. Great to get some big bodies.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Pups? Maybe pups that have swallowed growth hormones. Great to get some big bodies.
    A bit different than the previous draft

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Dunkleys legs are half the size of Adams forearms.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

No wonder Bevo called Adams 'the specimen', his t-shirt is struggling to contain his biceps!

I'm excited about this group of "pups" they seem to fit exactly what we need. From little I have seen they seem to have mature heads on their shoulders.

What I think means nothing really because I was underwhelmed by last year's group and spent all season eating my words.

Post Thanks / Like

For once I wasn't that concerned about our draft picks..
    They really are just numbers until they hit the clubs and then they get their opportunity to shine..
    We had such a fantastic playing group last season..I believed season 2016 was going to be bigger and better than ever..
    But, in saying this, it was a comforting feeling watching these studs stand up on stage at social club night and address their thoughts about coming to the western bulldogs..
    Funnily, every player said that they were joining forces with a fast developing club and they believed we had a chance at winning a grand final...
    Seeing players from other successful clubs wanting to be a part of our club is mind blowing..
    For years and years I always felt fear at the end of each and every season that an incredible player wanted to transfer out.. Whereas, these days.. They're all fighting to get into the kennel
    God bless the believers at this club.. I've had my days when I lost that faith (a few times)..
    As I keep saying.. Put the right people in the rightjobs and you achieve success.. I'm just over the moon with the western bulldogs <3

8. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    No wonder Bevo called Adams 'the specimen', his t-shirt is struggling to contain his biceps!

I'm excited about this group of "pups" they seem to fit exactly what we need. From little I have seen they seem to have mature heads on their shoulders.

What I think means nothing really because I was underwhelmed by last year's group and spent all season eating my words.
    Yeah, that was great wasn't it?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Yeah, know what you mean - Hamling, Webb, Dale, McLean & Daniel showed they are at a minimum solid first team players and probably a few of them much better than that. I was blown away by the astuteness of the recruiting after seeing their seasons. And Zaine Cordy looks promising for pick 60.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at that photo, geez they all look so developed and ready to go. Remember the early photos of the 2014 crop? - looked like a Year 9 school photo. Given how well they have progressed, it's really hard to temper the enthusiasm about what these guys could offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Looking at that photo, geez they all look so developed and ready to go. Remember the early photos of the 2014 crop? - looked like a Year 9 school photo. Given how well they have progressed, it's really hard to temper the enthusiasm about what these guys could offer.
    Noticed you swapped your Avatar pretty fast Peanuts. Am also rubbing my hands to see how Adams and Collins add to our defence.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Noticed you swapped your Avatar pretty fast Peanuts. Am also rubbing my hands to see how Adams and Collins add to our defence.
    Think I did that the day after the draft GD, I was spruiking Adams weeks before the draft and was pretty rapt when we got him. Pretty excited about this whole group, they all look to have plenty to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article from 2013:

Sydney Swans embroiled in father-son spat that could cost them Andrew Dunkley's talented son Josh

Former sydney star Andrew Dunkley has become estranged from the club. Picture: Phil Hillyard

A FALLING out between Hall of Fame fullback Andrew Dunkley and the Sydney Swans could cost the club the chance of signing his talented son Josh under the AFL's father and son rule.
    Dunkley has not been back to the club since he retired in 2002 and chose not to attend his own induction into the Swans' Hall of Fame two years ago.Although Dunkley attended the 2012 grand final to cheer on his former team, unlike his two sons - Josh and Kyle - he didn't go into the Swans' rooms after the game to share in the victory celebrations."I don't hate the place but I've moved on,"

Dunkley told The Daily Telegraph.It is understood Dunkley's animosity towards the Swans stems from the decision by then coach Paul Roos to end his stellar career at the end of 2002 as part of a rebuilding process following the Rodney Eade era.Now, more than a decade after hanging up his red and white guernsey, the friction between Dunkley and his old club could prevent his talented son from playing in the same colours as his dad

Asked if he had a problem with 16-year-old Josh going to the Swans under the father and son rule Dunkley said: "In a perfect world he'd get a Victorian club."That's being selfish because of where we live (Victoria)."I'm not against it (going to the Swans)."I'd prefer to see him do it on his own merits."I'd be happy to see him just make it to the AFL."Josh is currently on the books of TAC Cup side the Gippsland Power and last year at the age of 15 played senior football for Sale in their premiership win in the highly regarded Gippsland Football League.

The well built teenager was vice-captain of the Victorian Country team at the under-16 national carnival and was also named in the All Australian side.This year Josh knocked back the offer of a footballing scholarship to Melbourne Grammar School to continue playing senior football for Sale and attending Gippsland Grammar School.

The interest in Josh is genuine with the Swans keeping in contact with Dunkley senior and junior over the past 18 months."He's a talented young player and Kinnear Beatson (Swans' recruiting manager) and I have been monitoring his progress," Swans welfare manager Dennis Carroll said.Dunkley played 217 games for the Bloods between 1992 and 2002.Dunkley now lives with his family in home town of Yarram in country Victoria, where he runs a farm machinery business and a property with 900 head of cattle.

LINK