Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  85
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A brief history of our finals matches

I found a recent summary of our finals history in another thread quite interesting. I looked up a few of the older games - it's shocking how many were winnable.

As an adjunct to Twodogs historical articles thread, for a bit of off season reading I thought it might be 'fun' (or therapeutic depending on your constitution) to look at each of these games in a little detail. Own the pain and all of that.

I'll post each match separately over the coming weeks. There's around 45 games in total.

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A brief history of our finals matches

OUR FIRST EVER VFL FINAL

After entering the AFL in 1925, Footscray had to wait 13 years to make the finals. From 1925-1937 they never finished last, but most years were in the bottom third of the table.

By 1938, they had built a strong team, and finished the season in 3rd place; 18 games - 13 wins, 5 losses, 124.3%.

Under the old top 4 finals system, that meant we played 4th placed Collingwood in an Elimination Final - played at the MCG in front of 68,556.

Our team guns were champion CHF/Utility Arthur Olliver, dynamic midsize forward Alby Morrison and a powerful on-ball team comprising Ruckman Norm Ware, Ruck/Rover Ambrose Palmer, Rover Harry Hickey and Centreman and Captain Roy Evans.

Reading back over old reports, Footscray had worked itself into a frenzy of excitement pre-match, with a range of events held through the week - many attended by the entire team.

The reports of the match describe a furious pace for the day. Footscray were renowned as a fast, talented side, Collingwood tougher and more professional.

In the first qtr, Pies had a strong wind and kicked 6.1, whilst Dogs kicked 3.2.

In the 2nd qtr, Dogs dominated, creating chance after chance, but managed only 3.9 whilst a ruthless Pies created 3 chances for 3.0.

So at 1/2 time, Pie 9.1.55 (10 scoring shots) led Dogs 6.11.47 (17 scoring shots). (Sound familiar so far).

Collingwood broke the game open in the 3rd and ultimately went on to win 18.9.117 (27 scoring shots) to 10.16.76 (26).

Best players for Footscray were listed as wingman Bob Spargo (who had 2 sons play for Footscray and a grandson play for North), Full-Back Paul Standfield (a Fish Creek recruit whose grandson, Barry, also played for the club) and small forward Cliff MacRae (our only efficient forward on the day who kicked 5 goals).

For Collingwood, their stars Des Fothergill (6 goals as Rover), Alby Pannam (5 goals) and Ron Todd (4 goals) all produced as usual.

After the game it was revealed that Ruckman Norman Ware (who won the sportswriters award that year as best player in the competition, and later won a Brownlow) played the last month of the season with a broken bone in his foot, whilst gun forwards Olliver and Morrison were also carrying significant injuries.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 17-12-2015 at 12:36 PM.

4. Thanks Drunken Bum thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading that Shane McInerney's grandfather umpired the game and absolutely crucified us.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I remember reading that Shane McInerney's grandfather umpired the game and absolutely crucified us.
    Amazingly, the grandfather of the 1997 Libba goal umpire also officiated. Renowned Collingwood man apparently.

7. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do we persist with these painful threads!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    OUR FIRST EVER VFL FINAL

After entering the AFL in 1925, Footscray had to wait 13 years to make the finals. From 1925-1937 they never finished last, but most years were in the bottom third of the table.

By 1938, they had built a strong team, and finished the season in 3rd place; 18 games - 13 wins, 5 losses, 124.3%.

Under the old top 4 finals system, that meant we played 4th placed Collingwood in an Elimination Final - played at the MCG in front of 68,556.

Our team guns were champion CHF/Utility Arthur Olliver, dynamic midsize forward Alby Morrison and a powerful on-ball team comprising Ruckman Norm Ware, Ruck/Rover Ambrose Palmer, Rover Harry Hickey and Centreman and Captain Roy Evans.
    Roy was a very close friend of our family. He was a wonderful man as well as a gifted footy player and cricketer. Played his early footy with Yarraville and didn't go to the VFL with Footscray until about 25 years old. Became captain very quickly but only played 40 odd games I think.Playing for Yarraville one day at cricket he took the wicket keeping gloves off to have a bowl and got a hat trick! A fantastic amateur comedian/magician too he had a lot of players spell bound in their end of the seasons trips. He did a very funny hypnosis trick with Teddy later in life. He also coached Footscray Reserves to a premiership in early 60's. Many players writing in the Bulldog history book praise Roy for his coaching ability.Actually Teddy went round his place to try and convince Roy to coach the seniors in the early 60's. He agreed but unfortunately the Match Committee didn't. Just a bit of history for all.

10. Thanks Twodogs, Drunken Bum, Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Roy was a very close friend of our family. He was a wonderful man as well as a gifted footy player and cricketer. Played his early footy with Yarraville and didn't go to the VFL with Footscray until about 25 years old. Became captain very quickly but only played 40 odd games I think.Playing for Yarraville one day at cricket he took the wicket keeping gloves off to have a bowl and got a hat trick! A fantastic amateur comedian/magician too he had a lot of players spell bound in their end of the seasons trips. He did a very funny hypnosis trick with Teddy later in life. He also coached Footscray Reserves to a premiership in early 60's. Many players writing in the Bulldog history book praise Roy for his coaching ability.Actually Teddy went round his place to try and convince Roy to coach the seniors in the early 60's. He agreed but unfortunately the Match Committee didn't. Just a bit of history for all.
    Great stuff B4L. Those teams of the 30s and 40s had some great men. Aside from Roy, Norm Ware, Ambrose Palmer and Arthur Olliver were amazing people (and I'm sure many others whose stories I haven't come across).

12. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Why do we persist with these painful threads!
    Because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it?

I love anything to do with the history of the club. The good bits, the sublime bits, the bad bits, the really bad bits and the soul destroying bits are what make us what we are today. And we are teetering on the edge of greatness.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes Doggy, Drunken Bum, craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Thanks for that B4L. A fantastic read.

16. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TD. As you allude to, the thread is meant to look at all of our finals, not just the losses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    OUR FIRST EVER VFL FINAL

Reading back over old reports, Footscray had worked itself into a frenzy of excitement pre-match, with a range of events held through the week - many attended by the entire team.

The reports of the match describe a furious pace for the day. Footscray were renowned as a fast, talented side, Collingwood tougher and more professional.

In the first qtr, Pies had a strong wind and kicked 6.1, whilst Dogs kicked 3.2.

In the 2nd qtr, Dogs dominated, creating chance after chance, but managed only 3.9 whilst a ruthless Pies created 3 chances for 3.0.

So at 1/2 time, Pie 9.1.55 (10 scoring shots) led Dogs 6.11.47 (17 scoring shots). (Sound familiar so far).

Collingwood broke the game open in the 3rd and ultimately went on to win 18.9.117 (27 scoring shots) to 10.16.76 (26).

Best players for Footscray were listed as wingman Bob Spargo (who had 2 sons play for Footscray and a grandson play for North), Full-Back Paul Standfield (a Fish Creek recruit whose grandson, Barry, also played for the club) and small forward Cliff MacRae (our only efficient forward on the day who kicked 5 goals).

For Collingwood, their stars Des Fothergill (6 goals as Rover), Alby Pannam (5 goals) and Ron Todd (4 goals) all produced as usual.

After the game it was revealed that Ruckman Norman Ware (who won the sportswriters award that year as best player in the competition, and later won a Brownlow) played the last month of the season with a broken bone in his foot, whilst gun forwards Olliver and Morrison were also carrying significant injuries.
    I've seen that second quarter somewhere before in a final we played. Now when was it...

It's good to see we started this finals business the way we went on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it?
    So if we all forget 1954, we will win the flag.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    So if we all forget 1954, we will win the flag.

Yeah, that's why they took the bit out of the theme song used to say "remember '54". If it didn't the list of premiers would go from 1953-Collingwood straight to 1955-Melbourne . 2016 Western Bulldogs.

22. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Were Roy and Charlie Evans related? I remember Charlie as a tough nuggety back pocket in the early to mid 60s. We seemed to produce a series of good BP players over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Were Roy and Charlie Evans related? I remember Charlie as a tough nuggety back pocket in the early to mid 60s. We seemed to produce a series of good BP players over the years.
    No they were not Torpedo. Roy had 2 sons that didn't make it to the VFL. I remember Charlie well. Represented our Club and wore the Big V. Yes the other two back pocket players who played with us and in Victorian teams in the 60's were Ray Walker and Ian Bryant. By the way Charlie eventually went to South Melbourne.

25. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post