Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  85
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A brief history of our finals matches

They are 2 amazing facts that blew me away too - that last quarter must have been insane. I can assure you, I am no encyclopedia. I have been looking this stuff up as I go - it's been an enjoyable exercise for me.

2. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    They are 2 amazing facts that blew me away too - that last quarter must have been insane. I can assure you, I am no encyclopedia. I have been looking this stuff up as I go - it's been an enjoyable exercise for me.
    Looking forward to the 1961 finals PP as although only 9 years old just on 10 I can remember the games we played in especially the Grannie

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite as amazing, but fairly relevant considering it was a big game for the club, is Ted Whitten's 321st and final game. Round five of 1970 against Hawthorn produced the same total of goals in the final quarter - 0!

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember being at a game in the last 5-10 years that was really tight and tense and when it finished I realised that there hadn't been a goal kicked in the last quarter. I don't remember who it was against. Geelong maybe?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

VFL/AFL FINAL #12 (CURRENTLY 4-7)

So we're through to the '56 Preliminary Final, our 3rd in 4 years.

We come up against Collingwood and play in front of 94,104 at the MCG (a then all time crowd record for a Prelim).

The Dogs seemed to be considered slight favourites going into the match, but again started poorly, with Collingwood scoring 4.1 before we scored anything and ultimately leading 6.1.37 to 3.0.18 at quarter time, with the aid of the breeze though.

We were all over them in the 2nd, however bad finals habits reappeared and we blazed away to kick 2.8 for the quarter whilst keeping Collingwood scoreless. At the main break we led by 1 point (5.8.38 to 6.1.37) but it should've been a lot more.

The Pies agan took their opportunities in the third to lead 11.5.71 to 6.9.45 at 3QT. A 26 point deficit was imposing but gettable, kicking to the scoring end in the last.

The last was a trainwreck though, with our panicky forays forward falling apart and Collingwood ultimately running away 39 point victors (15.6.96 to 7.15.57). Even though well beaten, we had more scoring shots on the day.

The post match reports indicate a frustrated group who knew they were Collingwood's equal, but failed to take their chances on the day.

One conceded error was playing Herb Henderson, returning from injury, on a half back flank, whilst Collingwood full forward Ken Smale kicked 8 goals (HH had previously kept him relatively quiet).

For us, Harvey Stevens kicked 3 goals and Max Cross 2. Best players were listed as Stockman, Reynolds, Whitten, Stevens and Ross.

The club was still buoyant about it's future though, seemingly with good grounds. 3 Prelims in 4 years, a flag, a strong financial position (1956 gate receipts were our highest ever and membership was still strong a 12,500) and a strong list should have been ample grounds for positivity.

Just to emphasise list strength:

Peter Box (24) won the Brownlow that year, although our b&f went to fellow midfielder Don Ross (22). Other top young midfielders that year included Ron Stockman (22), John Kerr (22), Roger Duffy (24), Jim Gallagher (25), Arthur Edwards (22) and Doug Reynolds (23). All of these mids were entering their best years, they had played similar games (range was 58-94 games) and were seemingly a group with years together as a top line unit.

Our spine was rock solid, with Max Cross (22) finishing 2nd in the VFL goalkicking table in 1956 with 52, Jack Collins (26 and an even better full forward, but meeting team needs as an excellent CHF), Ted Whitten (23, a superstar at CHB - of course later named the VFL's CHB of the century and arguably the greatest player of all time), Herb Henderson (25 and an elite full back) and Harvey Stevens (26) an inspiring ruckman.

I've left a few out, but that group of powerful, experienced 22-26 years olds formed the core of a team that really had the world at their feet.

Charlie Sutton said post match that he was more confident of a 1957 Premiership than he was in 1954 and nobody queried his optimism.

Post Thanks / Like

VFL/AFL FINAL #12 (CURRENTLY 4-8)

So we've finished 1956 with the club in great shape; a flag and 3 prelims in 4 yeas, a vibrant young list, optimistic coach and strong off-field position, yet we don't reappear in the finals until 1961.

Before I jump to '61, feel like I need a quick look at the disastrous late '50s.

Early '57 shows no signs of major problems, we are top of the table undefeated after 3 rounds, and well placed in 3rd after 12.

The whole football world was shocked at this point when we announced, seemingly completely out of nowhere, that Charlie Sutton had been sacked as Coach despite us being well poised for another push deep into the finals.

Reading some reports of the day, there were hints that there were schisms developing within the board and the playing group. After '56, it was decided that 30yo Wally Donald should pass down the Captaincy to a younger leader, with some feeling powerful on-field leader Harvey Stevens was the natural heir, whilst others felt he should be by-passed for the dynamic 23yo superstar Ted Whitten. After a reportedly heated battle, Stevens was ultimately made captain.

After Suttons removal, the board turned around and appointed Whitten Coach (at 23!!). As a result, Stevens was obliged to stand down as Captain, making Whitten Captain-Coach.

It is apparent that these moves caused shockwaves through the group, with many feeling fiercely loyal to a deeply hurt Sutton. Peter Box is one who was said to be particularly uncomfortable with Whitten's rapid promotion.

Looking back, even Whitten recognises that his promotion occurred years too early.

The immediate impacts were not good. We lost R13 to lowly StKilda to fall out of the 4 and never recover. We won 2 of the next 6 to finish (9-1-8) 6th.

Worse was to follow. The Whitten led Dogs won 6 games to finish 11th in 1958 and then 3 games in 1959 to be VFL wooden spooners for the first time in our proud history.

Those years were horrific. Aside from poor on-field performances, players who played their last games for the club included Herb Henderson (27), Jack Collins (28), Harvey Stevens (27), Peter Box (25), Don Ross (24), Lionel Ryan (21), Ron Stockman (23), John Kerr (23) and others before their time.

The board had clearly made some rash decisions and the team was not happy. Many loved the club, but were unhappy with the current environment, rather than go to a rival VFL team, they took lucrative interstate or country offers.

EJ had been left to carry the can. To his great credit, he brought the club through the other side.

We showed some improvement to finish 10th in 1960, and then great improvement in 1961.

By this time, Whitten was a 27 year old experienced Captain Coach and (obviously) towering figure, but he had built a strong group around him. Of particular note; Ruckman John Schultz (22 by 1961) who debuted in 1958 and by 1960 was a Brownlow Medallist and club B&F, and a brilliant young group including Merv Hobbs (19), Bob Spargo (19), Ian Bryant (21), Ken Duff (19), John Jillard (20), Charlie Evans (19) and Bob Ware (Norm's Son, 20).

We started 1961 brilliantly, sitting alone atop the ladder undefeated after 4 rounds. However, patchy midseason form saw us fall as low as 8th. By the final round we were sitting 5th, playing 3rd placed Geelong at home in the final round. They were 2 points ahead of us, so a win guaranteed us a finals place.

Over 42,000 jammed into the Western Oval, and it would've rocked as we led by 12 at half time, then 9 at 3QT and ultimately by 19 (12.12.84 to 8.15.63).

So we finished the season 4th, and played off against StKilda in the elimination final, at the MCG in front of 86,411.

As in the early-mid 50s, we were exceptionally young, aside from Whitten (just turned 28), the only Dogs player over 24 to play in the match was wingman Alex (Alec? reports differ) Gardiner (26).

The young Dogs jumped the Saints early, leading 3.3.21 to 1.4.10 at quarter time and then 7.7.49 to 3.7.25 at half time.

By 3QT we led 9.11.65 to 6.9.45, and despite a StKilda comeback and wasteful kicking, we ultimately held on 9.15.69 to 8.12.60.

Match reports mention windy conditions making scoring difficult.

For the Dogs Merv Hobbs kicked 3 (to bring the first year Rover's total to 26 in 12 games), Ted Whitten and Jack Slattery 2 each.

Best players were listed as Charlie Evans (defender who repelled many late attacks), Hobbs, Whitten, Schultz, Spargo and Ware.

8. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We did our best to give another one away by kicking 4 behinds in the last quarter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

[Over 42,000 jammed into the Western Oval, and it would've rocked as we led by 12 at half time, then 9 at 3QT and ultimately by 19 (12.12.84 to 8.15.63).]

I was at this game and remember it well In the second quarter Ted Whitten kicked the two longest drop kick goals I ever saw from out on the Doug Hawkins Wing to the Barkly St end - magnificent.
    The atmosphere in the rooms after the game was just the best. Ted game a rousing speech standing on a table while he towelled himself down after a shower -
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

That must be an amazing memory merantau. Do you remember much of the club's turmoils through the late 50s and what the word was around town?

Post Thanks / Like

That must be an amazing memory merantau. Do you remember much of the club's turmoils through the late 50s and what the word was around town?
    I was too young to appreciate the politics of it all. The sacking of Charlie Sutton was big news at the time. We went through some tough times in the late 50s so 1961 was very welcome. Our success was partly due to Ted Whitten reintroducing the flick pass. Due to pressure from other coaches the VFL banned it part way through the season if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

VFL/AFL FINAL #12 (CURRENTLY 4-8)

So we've finished 1956 with the club in great shape; a flag and 3 prelims in 4 yeas, a vibrant young list, optimistic coach and strong off-field position, yet we don't reappear in the finals until 1961.

Before I jump to '61, feel like I need a quick look at the disastrous late '50s.

Early '57 shows no signs of major problems, we are top of the table undefeated after 3 rounds, and well placed in 3rd after 12.

The whole football world was shocked at this point when we announced, seemingly completely out of nowhere, that Charlie Sutton had been sacked as Coach despite us being well poised for another push deep into the finals.

Reading some reports of the day, there were hints that there were schisms developing within the board and the playing group. After '56, it was decided that 30yo Wally Donald should pass down the Captaincy to a younger leader, with some feeling powerful on-field leader Harvey Stevens was the natural heir, whilst others felt he should be by-passed for the dynamic 23yo superstar Ted Whitten. After a reportedly heated battle, Stevens was ultimately made captain.

After Suttons removal, the board turned around and appointed Whitten Coach (at 23!!). As a result, Stevens was obliged to stand down as Captain, making Whitten Captain-Coach.

It is apparent that these moves caused shockwaves through the group, with many feeling fiercely loyal to a deeply hurt Sutton. Peter Box is one who was said to be particularly uncomfortable with Whitten's rapid promotion.

Looking back, even Whitten recognises that his promotion occurred years too early.

The immediate impacts were not good. We lost R13 to lowly StKilda to fall out of the 4 and never recover. We won 2 of the next 6 to finish (9-1-8) 6th.

Worse was to follow. The Whitten led Dogs won 6 games to finish 11th in 1958 and then 3 games in 1959 to be VFL wooden spooners for the first time in our proud history.

Those years were horrific. Aside from poor on-field performances, players who played their last games for the club included Herb Henderson (27), Jack Collins (28), Harvey Stevens (27), Peter Box (25), Don Ross (24), Lionel Ryan (21), Ron Stockman (23), John Kerr (23) and others before their time.

The board had clearly made some rash decisions and the team was not happy. Many loved the club, but were unhappy with the current environment, rather than go to a rival VFL team, they took lucrative interstate or country offers.

EJ had been left to carry the can. To his great credit, he brought the club through the other side.

We showed some improvement to finish 10th in 1960, and then great improvement in 1961.

By this time, Whitten was a 27 year old experienced Captain Coach and (obviously) towering figure, but he had built a strong group around him. Of particular note; Ruckman John Schultz (22 by 1961) who debuted in 1958 and by 1960 was a Brownlow Medallist and club B&F, and a brilliant young group including Merv Hobbs (19), Bob Spargo (19), Ian Bryant (21), Ken Duff (19), John Jillard (20), Charlie Evans (19) and Bob Ware (Norm's Son, 20).

We started 1961 brilliantly, sitting alone atop the ladder undefeated after 4 rounds. However, patchy midseason form saw us fall as low as 8th. By the final round we were sitting 5th, playing 3rd placed Geelong at home in the final round. They were 2 points ahead of us, so a win guaranteed us a finals place.

Over 42,000 jammed into the Western Oval, and it would've rocked as we led by 12 at half time, then 9 at 3QT and ultimately by 19 (12.12.84 to 8.15.63).

So we finished the season 4th, and played off against StKilda in the elimination final, at the MCG in front of 86,411.

As in the early-mid 50s, we were exceptionally young, aside from Whitten (just turned 28), the only Dogs player over 24 to play in the match was wingman Alex (Alec? reports differ) Gardiner (26).

The young Dogs jumped the Saints early, leading 3.3.21 to 1.4.10 at quarter time and then 7.7.49 to 3.7.25 at half time.

By 3QT we led 9.11.65 to 6.9.45, and despite a StKilda comeback and wasteful kicking, we ultimately held on 9.15.69 to 8.12.60.

Match reports mention windy conditions making scoring difficult.

For the Dogs Merv Hobbs kicked 3 (to bring the first year Rover's total to 26 in 12 games), Ted Whitten and Jack Slattery 2 each.

Best players were listed as Charlie Evans (defender who repelled many late attacks), Hobbs, Whitten, Schultz, Spargo and Ware.
    Great write up PP. I have always known him as Alec. His nick name was Racehorse. A very fast wingman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I was too young to appreciate the politics of it all. The sacking of Charlie Sutton was big news at the time. We went through some tough times in the late 50s so 1961 was very welcome. Our success was partly due to Ted Whitten reintroducing the flick pass. Due to pressure from other coaches the VFL banned it part way through the season if I remember correctly.
    I think it was banned mid 1960's Merantau if my memory is correct. I might be wrong but sure it was after 1961.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying this is 100% correct by any means, but I remember reading that the flick pass was banned mid way through 1961. I can't remember where I read it, but it was definitely in a book, so I reckon that would hold pretty good weight of being correct.

Post Thanks / Like

It was Norm Smith who began bleating about the flick pass being a throw and led the charge against it. Definitely 1961 and the umpires penalised it out of existence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Great write up PP. I have always known him as Alec. His nick name was Racehorse. A very fast wingman.
    Thanks B4L. I noticed most press reports referred to him as Alec, but the official stats listed him as Alex. Maybe Alec was the name he was known as colloquially.

18. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post