Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs best 5 H&A wins in recent decades

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And gotten at least one of the Brownlows he deserved. I'm over Brownlows to our blokes (I want a flag) but the fact that turtle had one stolen and one go down to the line just annoys the hell out of me.
    Pretty hard to cop, even now. When you think back to Year of The Dogs, it's pretty astonishing that someone playing CHB in that mess of a team could miss a Brownlow by a vote - instead it goes to Mr WhateverItTakes on the basis of one line ball game. Then the next year he's completely ripped off playing at CHF. We'll never see one like him again.

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was an outstanding player. I remember,ber his first kick in league footy sailing over my head-I happened to be standing about a metre behind the goal umpire-for a goal from 45 metres out on the boundary. I was working at western oval as a ground attendant on match days.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

He was an outstanding player. I remember,ber his first kick in league footy sailing over my head-I happened to be standing about a metre behind the goal umpire-for a goal from 45 metres out on the boundary. I was working at western oval as a ground attendant on match days.
    He was an absolute gun. I was lucky enough to see him in his first practice game at Skinner. I remember saying to my dad after the game how special he was there. He played full forward and his leads were spot on then. Kicked 3 or 4 goals but you just knew....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He was an absolute gun. I was lucky enough to see him in his first practice game at Skinner. I remember saying to my dad after the game how special he was there. He played full forward and his leads were spot on then. Kicked 3 or 4 goals but you just knew....
    He goes from being draft pick 115 or 105 or whatever it was to a 50 goal League full forward inside a year.

And then Leon Cameron the ball magnet who can hit a target at 50 metres off both feet debuts the week after.

Bang. Bang.

Post Thanks / Like

Would have loved to have seen Chris play at full forward for a couple of his last years.

Post Thanks / Like

He goes from being draft pick 115 or 105 or whatever it was to a 50 goal League full forward inside a year.

And then Leon Cameron the ball magnet who can hit a target at 50 metres off both feet debuts the week after.

Bang. Bang.
    Two 17 year olds. Loved watching both of them play that year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember the last one but that's no surprise. I was pretty much on another planet most of the late '80s. I'm suprised that I remember as much as I do really.

I vividly remember the other 3.
    We can vouch for that Twodogs
    Although in saying that, some of the things we did in the 80's.
    You weren't alone

Post Thanks / Like

I think with Chris Grant, if we had have pinched a premiership in '97 (or if he played for Carlton or Collingwood) he'd be genuinely rated top five players of the era in which he played.

Unfortunately we now have to argue it out with people his relevance compared King of the Bogans, Mark Ricciuto, Nathan Buckley etc. etc.

Pavlich is the only player since Grant that has shown a genuine dominance in any key position he's had to play. My view is if Grant was played as CHB for his entire career he'd almost be rated the best CHB of all time, just a bit short behind the great Ted Whitten and miles ahead of Jakovich.

10. Likes Twodogs, bornadog, Drunken Bum, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think with Chris Grant, if we had have pinched a premiership in '97 (or if he played for Carlton or Collingwood) he'd be genuinely rated top five players of the era in which he played.

Unfortunately we now have to argue it out with people his relevance compared King of the Bogans, Mark Ricciuto, Nathan Buckley etc. etc.

Pavlich is the only player since Grant that has shown a genuine dominance in any key position he's had to play. My view is if Grant was played as CHB for his entire career he'd almost be rated the best CHB of all time, just a bit short behind the great Ted Whitten and miles ahead of Jakovich.
    Same with Kelvin Templeton. He won a Brownlow and two Colemans bir rarely gets listed as one of the best of his own time (I have argued with bulldog supporters about this) when in reality the greatest player of all time must have been playing bloody well if he played better than KT did before he did his knee.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon KT would be considered a bit like Coleman is if he didn't play for us, and instead played for one of the big Melbourne clubs.

Coleman was out of the box good statistically, kicking 537 goals from full forward in six seasons. Templeton kicked 460 in his first six seasons between full forward and centre half forward. Fair undertaking.