Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs best 5 H&A wins in recent decades

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...04-glz9nk.html

Terrific to see a mainstream media article focussing on some former Bulldog glories.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs best 5 H&A wins in recent decades

I find it hard to argue with any of those.

From a purely bulldog POV when we kicked the record score in 1978 was more enjoyable as a spectacle. The only other wins I can think of were a couple more H&A wins against Adelaide. The one where Johnno kicked the last couple of goals in his 300th or 350th to get us over the line and another when Cooney kicked the last goal (roved a boundary throw in) to win the game for us and propel us into eigth spot. Must have been 2006. But the journo has done a decent job in picking the winners.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood 84 (Beasley kicks winner on siren after 40 point comeback) and Collingwood 90 (Kolynuik's winner going around wright) are others that spring to mind, but no complaints with his selections. The Carlton R2 1983 a terrific choice that most would overlook (or be too young to know).

4. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Collingwood 84 (Beasley kicks winner on siren after 40 point comeback) and Collingwood 90 (Kolynuik's winner going around wright) are others that spring to mind, but no complaints with his selections. The Carlton R2 1983 a terrific choice that most would overlook (or be too young to know).
    A very very good choice. In fact there was a four week period in early 1983 that set us up as a modern day club. A loss against Geelong started the season but then we went on a bit of a spree where we beat Carlton (Runners up) Hawthorn (premiers) Melbourne (they had added Moore and Templeton and Barrassi as coach the summer before and were expected to shoot up the ladder) and (I think) Fitzroy one after the other. The Hawthorn win was the best of them all, because it was at their home ground, they had a really strong team on the park and just kept coming at us until Groenawagon kicked a goal (ON the run from the boundary line) to get us over the line.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that run very fondly also TD. The 4th win was against Richmond in front of a very big crowd at the G. We kicked 10 goals to 0 in the first qtr, including 5 by Edmond (4 in first few minutes) and just held on to win by less than a goal.

They were heady days after being so crap for a few years, although a R6 Windy Hill mauling was a bit of a reality check.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...04-glz9nk.html

Terrific to see a mainstream media article focussing on some former Bulldog glories.
    The Age has been running through all of the clubs these past few weeks, it's about time we got a turn!!

Post Thanks / Like

That game at the G where we beat West Coast, or the Matty Robbins hanger game would be in my picks, but it's hard to argue with the games picked without the necessary receptive context.

What's depressing as is I have cited some of these games as among our best wins *ever*, let alone H&A exclusive.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that run very fondly also TD. The 4th win was against Richmond in front of a very big crowd at the G. We kicked 10 goals to 0 in the first qtr, including 5 by Edmond (4 in first few minutes) and just held on to win by less than a goal.

They were heady days after being so crap for a few years, although a R6 Windy Hill mauling was a bit of a reality check.
    It was Richmond, of course! What a game. The original ANZAC day game at the 'G in front of 6o+. I can't believe it didn't occur to somebody at the club to say "we should ask for ANZAC day again next year." Oh well.

We beat Fitzroy after a bad run of losses (starting with the RC v Essendon-I remember that, Jimmy Sewell swore during an interview on The Winners after the game.) to reignite our final five hopes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That game at the G where we beat West Coast, or the Matty Robbins hanger game would be in my picks, but it's hard to argue with the games picked without the necessary receptive context.
    The Matty Robbins hangar game - was that the game Cooney was subjected to a huge Eade spray at 3/4 time then responded by being absolutely unstoppable and gifting us 5-6 goals in quick succession?

I remember Will continually tapping to Cooney who played possibly the most devastating 10-12 minutes of football I've ever seen. Brisbane opponents.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The Matty Robbins hangar game - was that the game Cooney was subjected to a huge Eade spray at 3/4 time then responded by being absolutely unstoppable and gifting us 5-6 goals in quick succession?

I remember Will continually tapping to Cooney who played possibly the most devastating 10-12 minutes of football I've ever seen. Brisbane opponents.
    That's the one! We were 5 goals up, then down, then even, then up again.

The Robbins mark is still the best one I've seen a Bulldog take.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That's the one! We were 5 goals up, then down, then even, then up again.

The Robbins mark is still the best one I've seen a Bulldog take.
    Agree a great mark. As a youngster I was lucky enough to see Merv Hobbs...a rover... take a spectactular mark over a Melbourne ruckman in the 1961 preliminary final. It was sensational and I can still remember it vividly.The best I've seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Good list. I would have last seasons game verse Sydney in my top 5 now.
    The curse is dead.

14. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sydney game at the SCG last season has to be close. It would be in my top 5
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

16. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Agree a great mark. As a youngster I was lucky enough to see Merv Hobbs...a rover... take a spectactular mark over a Melbourne ruckman in the 1961 preliminary final. It was sensational and I can still remember it vividly.The best I've seen.
    Merv even called his printing business Hi-Mark printing. A bloke on his way to photograph a wedding who decided to stop and test out some new equipment he had gotten took the photo.

Post Thanks / Like

The 4th win was against Richmond in front of a very big crowd at the G. We kicked 10 goals to 0 in the first qtr, including 5 by Edmond (4 in first few minutes) and just held on to win by less than a goal.
    My first live game, down from Deniliquin will never forget it

Collingwood 84 (Beasley kicks winner on siren after 40 point comeback) and Collingwood 90 (Kolynuik's winner going around wright) are others that spring to mind, but no complaints with his selections.
    Another 2 of my faves and got to see them both live too with my mad collingwood supporter mother
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

19. Likes Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post