Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs best 5 H&A wins in recent decades

There were a few massive come-from-behind wins that we had under Plough from 1999-2001 that were all noteworthy:

* 1999 v Geelong at the Cattery - Cooky and Huddo went nuts in the last 5 minutes and we got home after being 4 goals down approaching time-on in the last qtr
    * 2000 v Norf at Etihad - we came back from 42 points down early in the 3rd to get home by less than a kick. Crofty beat Carey in a crucial one-on-one at the death
    * 2001 v Geelong at the Cattery - they smashed us in the first half, leading by 8 goals halfway through the 2nd qtr. Enter Scott west, who single-handedly dragged us over the line in the 2nd half

Another favourite of mine was against Norf at a muddy and sodden MCG in 1988. They were 27 points up against us early in the last qtr and absolutely cruising. We then flicked the switch and kicked the last 9 goals of the game to win by 27 points in the end. Adrian Campbell and Beaser both kicked bags that day - Choco had a blinder in the last

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    There were a few massive come-from-behind wins that we had under Plough from 1999-2001 that were all noteworthy:

* 1999 v Geelong at the Cattery - Cooky and Huddo went nuts in the last 5 minutes and we got home after being 4 goals down approaching time-on in the last qtr
    * 2000 v Norf at Etihad - we came back from 42 points down early in the 3rd to get home by less than a kick. Crofty beat Carey in a crucial one-on-one at the death
    * 2001 v Geelong at the Cattery - they smashed us in the first half, leading by 8 goals halfway through the 2nd qtr. Enter Scott west, who single-handedly dragged us over the line in the 2nd half

Another favourite of mine was against Norf at a muddy and sodden MCG in 1988. They were 27 points up against us early in the last qtr and absolutely cruising. We then flicked the switch and kicked the last 9 goals of the game to win by 27 points in the end. Adrian Campbell and Beaser both kicked bags that day - Choco had a blinder in the last
    I don't remember the last one but that's no surprise. I was pretty much on another planet most of the late '80s. I'm suprised that I remember as much as I do really.

I vividly remember the other 3.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

That one especially. I was at home, I'd just become a dad for a second time and I couldn't yell so I took all my frustration out on making a batch of ANZAC biscuits. Nothing like smashing and melting a few things to vent the nasty side. Quietly.

Anyway as soon as I started to make the cookies the boys came good and started to haul North in. Being deeply superstitious I managed to stretch the process out right up until the final siren went. It's never taken me that to mix cookie dough.

5. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The next day Crofty was in our office (the place I worked back then) and I had a great chat with him about that game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my favourite games that I attended and spring to mind are:

1995 Round 21 v Geelong at Kardinia Park. Down all day only to run over the top of the Cats in the final quarter. Our first win in Geelong for 10 years. Kym Koster best on in his 3rd last game for the club. Shame they flogged us in a final 2 weeks later.

2006 Round 1 v Richmond at Etihad. 115 point win against the Tigers in Judas' comeback game from a snapped leg. Glorious.

8. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Round one 1984. Malthouse's first game as coach. First round v Richmond at Western Oval. And we destroy them. Beasley takes marks and kicks goals for fun and we romp home. My memory wants me to think that the Pieman kicked 12 that day but I am pretty sure it was 9 because I have looked it up before. Memory remembers we won by 64 points but I am not so sure again. I can't be bothered checking.

Anyway great game. We destroyed them. It was a bit like puffing the last lights out on a bohemath because Richmond had been a huge club that had played in grand finals and won flags only a few years before. They had been in decline for a while though and crippled themselves financially by getting into a pointless recruiting war with Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Round one 1984. Malthouse's first game as coach. First round v Richmond at Western Oval. And we destroy them. Beasley takes marks and kicks goals for fun and we romp home. My memory wants me to think that the Pieman kicked 12 that day but I am pretty sure it was 9 because I have looked it up before. Memory remembers we won by 64 points but I am not so sure again. I can't be bothered checking.

Anyway great game. We destroyed them. It was a bit like puffing the last lights out on a bohemath because Richmond had been a huge club that had played in grand finals and won flags only a few years before. They had been in decline for a while though and crippled themselves financially by getting into a pointless recruiting war with Collingwood.
    I'll help you out - 11 goals for the Pieman in a 39 point victory.

It's a shame the AFL seem to have set Carlton v Richmond in stone for round 1 every year. We are 8 from 11 v the tigers in round 1 games! Considering we have an overall winning percentage below 50% against them it's a great record.

11. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'll help you out - 11 goals for the Pieman in a 39 point victory.

It's a shame the AFL seem to have set Carlton v Richmond in stone for round 1 every year. We are 8 from 11 v the tigers in round 1 games! Considering we have an overall winning percentage below 50% against them it's a great record.
    It was the game Jon Riley played for us Withiut a clearance or a permit the in that period when the clearance rules were in flux over the Silvio Foschini case I think. Riley played one game of VFL and then, legend has it, hopped in the car the club had given him as a sign on fee and drove home to Adelaide.

Post Thanks / Like

These two wins at the Cattery alongside the one in which Koster dominated always lead me to feel we really let ourselves down when playing there in more recent times.

Great wins.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of 7 goal wins against that year's premiership teams also stand out for me as they really had me believing:

Round 5 1985 at WO vs Essendon (a jam packed 33K crowd); a sensational 7 goal to none third quarter. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games...719850427.html

Round 15 1999 at the MCG vs North Melbourne (44k crowd); 8 goals up at half time, Grant booted 6. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games...219990711.html

Post Thanks / Like

That North game is a great choice PI. Grant was truly brilliant that day. Up against the best and 9 inside 50s as well as 6 goals. From memory, Plough said postmatch that it was the best game he'd seen a CHF play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    That North game is a great choice PI. Grant was truly brilliant that day. Up against the best and 9 inside 50s as well as 6 goals. From memory, Plough said postmatch that it was the best game he'd seen a CHF play.
    Grant could only manage 2 votes from the umpires though with Brown collecting the 3!

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody umpires refuse to recognise key forwards. Almost as bad as him getting the 2 votes R22 1996.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Bloody umpires refuse to recognise key forwards. Almost as bad as him getting the 2 votes R22 1996.
    Had we gotten over the line he'd have probably been given the three votes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Had we gotten over the line he'd have probably been given the three votes.
    And gotten at least one of the Brownlows he deserved. I'm over Brownlows to our blokes (I want a flag) but the fact that turtle had one stolen and one go down to the line just annoys the hell out of me.

20. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post