Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revamping the forward line

Does Fletcher Roberts deserve consideration? Consistent, good solid body ( massive shoulders) makes decent decisions, composed. For example, Watch him take this excellent grab, full of confidence, thenslot the goal after the siren, with all the Tigers fans in his ear.
    Last time I was at Whitten Oval I saw him training and was really impressed. That was in 2014.
    Ash Hansen speaks highly of his preparation and attitude. Arguments against?
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 17-01-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Can an improved Tom Boyd be considered a replacement for Crameri?. He could get of the leash and 30 or 40 goals and it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

He doesn't really provide the running and flexibility that Crameri provides though. A few times last year I saw Crameri kick the ball deep in defence and then get on the end of a pass in the forward line and kick a goal in the same sequence of play. I can't see big Tom doing that.

But I am confident that the coaching staff will come up with different forward setups to use the players left, and there is still a lot of talent there a LOT of talent, to the best use.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this is an interesting discussion. Stronger and Crameri were very good in 2015 so losing Crameri is a loss but I think if we were able to do good without Libba for a year I think will be alright without Crameri.

In saying that we need our other forwards to show more. Boyd and Redpath also with the attacking midfield types in Dicko, Dahl, Hrovat etc chipping in as well.

Campbell could he be useful in the forward line or should we just stick to developing him in the ruck role?

Murph yes could be a possibility for sure but will miss his influence of half back.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I picture bontempelli playing at CHF and killing it.
    We have a lot of players who can go forward, even Tom Campbell/Minson have played okay at times in the forward line.
    All about delivery.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I picture bontempelli playing at CHF and killing it.
    We have a lot of players who can go forward, even Tom Campbell/Minson have played okay at times in the forward line.
    All about delivery.
    I remember in 2014 when we played the Crows at Etihad Campbell in that first quarter did quite well up forward. While certainly having a key FF is great it is equally important to have strong contribution to the goals from the mids as well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I remember in 2014 when we played the Crows at Etihad Campbell in that first quarter did quite well up forward. While certainly having a key FF is great it is equally important to have strong contribution to the goals from the mids as well.

The Melbourne game in the last round too. He just kept running to all the right places. Even when the entire pack went one way Tom went the other and took uncontested marks. I really thought we'd found a player. If he can build on, or reproduce, that sort of form he could be a huge bonus.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The Melbourne game in the last round too. He just kept running to all the right places. Even when the entire pack went one way Tom went the other and took uncontested marks. I really thought we'd found a player. If he can build on, or reproduce, that sort of form he could be a huge bonus.
    Was it against Sydney he took two strong contested marks and two goals to start the game?

The other one could be Roberts, if Hamling, Adams, Collins & Morris are sufficient enough to play defensive talls.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does Roughead deserve a chance to play a bit up forward? You would think we would keep him in the defence still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Does Roughead deserve a chance to play a bit up forward? You would think we would keep him in the defence still.
    He's not a good forward, if he rucks he will be used as a forward from time to time but I can't see him influencing the forward line with goals.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Which forward from the Footscray VFL team could knock on the door this year potentially and get a chance in the seniors?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Was it against Sydney he took two strong contested marks and two goals to start the game?

The other one could be Roberts, if Hamling, Adams, Collins & Morris are sufficient enough to play defensive talls.
    Agree with that. Hamling and Adams are also candidates should the others step up in the defensive posts. I'm sure all will be trialled at Footscray at some point. All in all, there are a stack of options - this year promises to be a damn exciting ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Adams has played forward and is a great mark and a good kick. It would be a dream if he could perform at CHF.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's not a good forward, if he rucks he will be used as a forward from time to time but I can't see him influencing the forward line with goals.
    Why do you make this statement about Roughead with such conviction GVGjr? He is the most mobile and arguably the best mark amongst our ruckmen. He is also technically a good kick though he hasn't been particularly accurate in front of goal. And it is not like he has had an extensive run up forward and been an abysmal failure. In fact, of all our ruckmen he has probably had the least exposure up forward. His demonstrated ability to hold down fullback in a competent manner only adds to the likelihood that he could be successful as a ruckman/forward.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone said stevens is in a moon boot which Im assuming is a recurrence of his foot stress fracture? count him out as an option then.

I think McLean takes Crameris spot, and his aerial ability and creativity might see him generate just as many goals as crameri was generating, although he might not kick so many himself. Stewie must have kicked 10+ goals sprinting back into the goal square whereas McLean will generate more goals by passing it off, guido-style.

McLean + Suckling = a happy Stringer, Toyd and Dickson.

I like Bob at half back. He is probably the best in the league at creating attacking moves from nothing in the back half. Lets not screw with that.

Redpath had a shoulder reco over the preseason, someone said. Does that mean he is behind the 8-ball, or perhaps will mark the ball better overhead when fully recovered?

If we do move Johanison to the wing, then Im OK with playing Adcock or Webb as a defender to replace him.

Im going with a nominal forward line of

Dickson Toyd resting-mid
    McLean Redpath Stringer

edit: this is the best depth I have ever seen in a bullddog side. There isnt any player I dont rate in our best 30 options.

15. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Why do you make this statement about Roughead with such conviction GVGjr? He is the most mobile and arguably the best mark amongst our ruckmen. He is also technically a good kick though he hasn't been particularly accurate in front of goal. And it is not like he has had an extensive run up forward and been an abysmal failure. In fact, of all our ruckmen he has probably had the least exposure up forward. His demonstrated ability to hold down fullback in a competent manner only adds to the likelihood that he could be successful as a ruckman/forward.
    With the opening post I'm looking at how we are going to replace Crameri's input from last season and I just don't see Roughead improving that in any way. I do believe he has been tried in that role many time throughout his career and to me he just doesn't have the feel for the position. If I thought he had a Ben Brown or David Hale type feel for the ruckman/tall forward position I'd be singing it out loudly and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

As a defender I think Roughead has done a good job and while I might be in the minority, I'd be in no rush to move him into the ruck.
    I'd rate him as a good defender, decent ruck but someone who hasn't proven himself as a viable tall forward even in a relieving role.
    To me, a fit Campbell is more likely to clunk a mark up forward when resting.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"