Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Tom hungry for success

Link

This time of the year is all about the pre-season bolter. It's about who's standing out and who's set for their best year yet.

Make no mistake, there is no shortage of Bulldogs tearing up the track this summer at the kennel, but there’s one player in particular that has caught the eye of midfield coach Steven King, Tom Campbell.

While Campbell spent the majority of the year in the VFL after an interrupted pre-season, he managed to break into the senior side late in the year before going down with a thigh injury, but not before he chalked up a dominant 32-hitout performance against the Cats in round 16.

King told westernbulldogs.com.au that with a clear run at it, Campbell can be a high impact player for the Club.

“Obviously he’s a big man, he had a shoulder reco after the VFL premiership (in 2014) and it set him back a little bit, but this year he hasn’t missed a beat.

“Whether it’s running, all the skill work, his GPS data has been fantastic all the way through.. you can just tell he’s really hungry.

“He was probably a bit disappointed in his year last year and he’s really keen to make amends.”

There’s just over a month remaining until the Club’s first NAB Challenge hit out against the Giants in Canberra, and now that the players are back on the track, King says that pre-season training has entered a new phase and competition for spots has intensified right across the ground.

“Obviously there are no guarantees for anyone at the moment.

“What you’ve done over the last three months and how we go in the pre-season will determine who’s up at the right time of the year, grabs a spot holds onto it.

“We’re starting to get a few players reintroduced from rehab, there’s a lot more game focus, [and we’ve] upped the tempo – the intensity’s gone up now.

“The first week back you’re cautious not to lose anyone in match like intensity drills. We’re well into that now so moving onwards, we’ll be ramping it right up.”

As Melbourne’s sweltering summer temperatures eased toward the end of the week, King said that competition amongst the group can only be a good thing for a young team looking to build on the success of 2015.

“I think we’ve brought in some pretty good young kids through the draft, obviously Matty Suckling and Jed Adcock as well, [and] I do feel a real sense of competition for spots this year.

“We saw that in the back half of last year – how hard it was for some guys to break into the team – I think that’s only going to increase this year,” he said.

“I think guys are starting to look around now and are going ‘gee, there’s some talent here on this list, where do I fit in in terms of best 22. I’ve got to get off to a good start to grab a spot.’”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Tom hungry for success

Campbell is ready to take on the number one ruck role for 2016. He is now at an age where he should be showing good form and ready to be in our best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Campbell is ready to take on the number one ruck role for 2016. He is now at an age where he should be showing good form and ready to be in our best 22.
    Agree. I'd hoped he would have by the end of last season, but he didn't have the year he would've hoped for. He looked really poor during the preseason and didn't really find his best form as the season unfolded. I think he was struggling after his shoulder reconstruction. He really needs to make this a big year.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I'm hoping to see much more of Tom Campbell this season. He needs to show what he can do at senior level. Mino won't be there forever. Tommy could be played in the forward line but you would best think that we should focus him as a ruckman.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he kicked the ball pretty well in some of the drills on Saturday. He looked to be moving well, too.

It'd be a great result if he's able to have a big year because he's shown a lot of glimpses which suggest he can be a long term player for us and as mentioned above, his time is now.

Post Thanks / Like

Has abit of Simon Cox look about him.
    Looking forward to The Big Soup tearing it up this year.
    The resting forward ruckmen while swapping with Roughy and maybe Toyd has the potential to stretch and devastate opp. backlines this year and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

"Obviously' is Stephen King's favorite word. " he’s a big man" was what he said about Redpath as well. And Toyd. Mix it up a bit Steven!

Tom looks trimmer than I remember.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    "Obviously' is Stephen King's favorite word. " he’s a big man" was what he said about Redpath as well. And Toyd. Mix it up a bit Steven!

Tom looks trimmer than I remember.
    I thought last year that he looked very heavy in the legs, which affected his ability to cover the ground. A leaner version this year would be welcome news.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.