Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Redpath talks tall up front

Link

Jack Redpath says that he sees an opportunity to share the forward line with his fellow talls as the opening NAB Challenge clash with the Greater Western Sydney Giants inches closer.

While the Bulldogs often adopted a versatile and mobile look in 2015, the 25-year-old power-forward says believes there’s no reason why the Club couldn’t exploit a taller set-up if the circumstances suited.

Over the Christmas break, westernbulldogs.com.au conducted a poll asking the fans to gaze into their crystal balls and name their round one team, with Redpath and Tom Boyd garnering the popular support for the two key forward posts.

With Jordan Roughead and Tom Campbell also likely to see some time closer to goal in 2016, Redpath said that in the right circumstances, a twin towers approach could be tough for opposition sides to cover.

“I can’t see why we can’t work together, it just depends on the team we’re playing," he said.

“I got asked that question last year and I said that of course it can work but it’d have to fit with the team we’re playing, and based on whether we’re both playing good footy at the time.

If they (the opposition) are going with a tall backline, like North for example, I can’t see why not.”

After a strong preseason, Redpath earnt himself a spot in the opening game of the season against the Eagles last yearbefore going back to the VFL for an extended period. He managed to find his way back into the senior side in round 14 after a string of strong performances for Footscray, including multiple bags of 5 goals, and never left.

But it wasn’t just down forward where Redpath excelled in 2015, the big man spent some time in the middle of the ground as well, the 25 year old saying that versatility was a key feature of coach Luke Beveridge’s approach.

“That’s what Bevo’s big on, playing multiple positions – Tommy, Roughy, even myself and Tommy Boyd will probably play a bit of ruck.

“I played a little bit of ruck last year, probably more than I expected to, but I’ve grown to enjoy it. It was hard work against those big boys, but I think you will see the ruckman playing that forward role as well.”

Whether it’s up forward, or as a ruckman, if there’s one thing Redpath is keen to achieve this year, it’s consistency.

“I probably dropped off a little bit last year and then had a really good back half. This year I just want to be consistent right through.

“Right now it’s just about getting the body sound, getting it right, so it’s ready to go for NAB one.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Redpath talks tall up front

Clearley not the most mobile of big men but love what he brings to the table with his aggresion and versatility to go back,ruck and foward.
    As he said in the interview it's what Bevo is after in all our guys.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he showed a lot of mobility with his leading and his chasing in 2015. He is a very different type of player to Big Boyd. I would not rule out a successful forward line with Chopper Redpath at CHF in 2016.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

He did F'scray should have put in for a guy that's had 2 knee reco's that just meant his turning circle seems to be a bit bigger then other talls imo.

Post Thanks / Like

I just want him to keep his intensity and aggression up.

Post Thanks / Like

Training watchers have noted Jack doing plenty of work on his speed and mobility and is looking trimmer. With a bit more mobility and endurance, the role he could be asked to play may not be that far removed from Crameri's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    He did F'scray should have put in for a guy that's had 2 knee reco's that just meant his turning circle seems to be a bit bigger then other talls imo.
    Redders, I have to be perfectly honest, I have never noticed any mobility issues that would be attributed to the reco's with Big Jack and I think he is quite mobile for his size. He does have imo a major area of required improvement: contested overhead marking. But towards the end of the 2015 season, he seemed to be doing a bit better in that area. The other issue he has is set shot goal kicking. He is just ok at the moment imo. He missed a few last year that he should have got.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Redders, I have to be perfectly honest, I have never noticed any mobility issues that would be attributed to the reco's with Big Jack and I think he is quite mobile for his size. He does have imo a major area of required improvement: contested overhead marking. But towards the end of the 2015 season, he seemed to be doing a bit better in that area. The other issue he has is set shot goal kicking. He is just ok at the moment imo. He missed a few last year that he should have got.
    I reckon if Jack plays as more of a hard leading CHF type, he'll get more uncontested marks and deliver more inside 50s, rather than the contested full forward role he was asked to play last year - minimises his exposure to both weaknesses.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Jack at FF and Tom out at CHF. Boyd is a good roaming player and Jack for mine is very good at the traditional FF role while adding a few new tricks to his arsenal.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.