Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Declan Hamilton - the forgotten Recruit - Can he make it

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Liked his skills in the VFL games I watched him play. Found it frustrating in a few games where he tried giving the ball off to players in perceived better positions when he should have kicked at goal himself. Unselfish player.
    Another thing that I noticed is that he seems to be a move ahead of other players but in the worst possible way, he has to wait for other players to figure out what he was planning and that would get him into trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

How good is it that there is little to no whipping boys in the side. Also come the end of the year who will we delist. The life line for some of these kids is our older brigade in that they retire. Have we ever been in such a position. Times are good at the Bulldogs can't wait for it to start.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    How good is it that there is little to no whipping boys in the side. Also come the end of the year who will we delist. The life line for some of these kids is our older brigade in that they retire. Have we ever been in such a position. Times are good at the Bulldogs can't wait for it to start.
    So true. Sad for the individuals, but great for the club and it's supporters - the way our list is, every year is a pressure year for every player outside of the established first team members (and first year players).

Post Thanks / Like

He has all the tool required except for experience and physical strength in the contest at this point in time. Going to have to end up an exceptional footballer to crack a spot in this generation of Bulldog's senior teams but I think we could be doing worse than having him in the mix.

Really thought he was a strong contributor in the VFL and showed a nose for goal in the few games I paid close attention. In the context of our return on the rest of the 2014 draft he was a bit of a forgotten man, but wasn't a mile off the pace of guys who got a run either.

Post Thanks / Like

This is more of a list management observation than a comment on Hamilton but the only counter I have to that is that we have too many similar players and opportunities can be limited for some talented players. Hrovat and Honeychurch certainly spring to mind and I would imagine that if they can't get semi regular games this year then they will look for other homes. Hrovat and HC won't be the type of players to replace M.Boyd, Morris or Murphy either.
    Things can change pretty quickly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

True it more of a list management observation, but it was the reference to a make or break year and possibly Declan isn't alone and that's not to say they aren't required players.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

The only whipping boys I see are Minson and perhaps MBoyd (still but not s much as in the past)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    We can afford to give him a bit of time if he keeps improving.
    Yep.
    If the kid keeps improving his time will eventually come.

Post Thanks / Like

How many years was that slow bloke who didn't kick very often on our list before he played regular games?

That Cross bloke?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only saw Declan in a few VFL games last year. He struck me as a very unselfish quick thinking type of player. I have no doubt that once he matures he will fit into our team nicely. Got a good footy head on his shoulders.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    How many years was that slow bloke who didn't kick very often on our list before he played regular games?

That Cross bloke?
    He didn't kick the ball that often because he was a lousy kick!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He didn't kick the ball that often because he was a lousy kick!
    Like Axe and Libba Snr.

Post Thanks / Like

So the goal umpire in '97 Prelim paid a point on Libba's reputation of not being able to kick a goal!!!!!????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 39 Memories View Post
    So the goal umpire in '97 Prelim paid a point on Libba's reputation of not being able to kick a goal!!!!!????

They all turned into Bernie Quinlan when they had a shot for goal. I saw Axe kick one from the centre square at Optus Oval once.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They all turned into Bernie Quinlan when they had a shot for goal. I saw Axe kick one from the centre square at Optus Oval once.
    He seemed to kick those with little leg movement. I remember in that 1992 Qualifying final when he kicked the ball from the centre of the MCG into the goal square and Delre marked it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.