Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Declan Hamilton - the forgotten Recruit - Can he make it

Well Declan is the last man standing from the last two drafts. He seems to be getting more and more of the ball in the VFL. He is competing against a lot of players the same size and for the same positions.

Will he debut this year?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Well Declan is the last man standing from the last two drafts. He seems to be getting more and more of the ball in the VFL. He is competing against a lot of players the same size and for the same positions.

Will he debut this year?
    I would have played him before Williams based on the 60 minutes of VFL I've watched this year. He's getting better; a LOT less nervous with the ball now and uses it pretty well. Still needs to get more of it though, a negative that will only get greater at the next level up.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think he'll be trialled at some point. Think he could bring some of the things we see in Bailey Dale to the side in terms of ball use

Post Thanks / Like

Like Dale, Williams and Lynch will need to develop physically a lot more, I think that is impeding his ability and confidence. He tends to play a more outside game possibly for that reason.

Stats on the weekend against Port Melbourne: 24 disposals (13 kicks, 11 hb), 10 Handball receives, and 8 uncontested marks.
    Good efficiency though. Only 4 ineffective.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will see him a couple of times this year. I think based on last year Beveridge is keen on seeing what/if a player can offer at the top level before making a call on whether or not to retain them, even if they aren't necessarily in the best form to earn selection.

The only player on our list under Beveridge who was never given that opportunity was Fuller who looked completely out of his depth at VFL level, something that doesn't apply to Declan.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

To me, 2017 is make or break for young Declan.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, 2017 is make or break for young Declan.
    Are u auditioning for the channel Seven special comments role ?

8. Likes N/A, bulldogtragic, SlimPickens, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    Eh, Lingy?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    Ha ha, very funny.

I think if he can't play senior football next year, it may be goodbye. He will be 21 at the start of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, very funny.

I think if he can't play senior football next year, it may be goodbye. He will be 21 at the start of the season.
    If he hasn't cracked a game in three years (he's the only player not to play in the two years of Bevo), then he's heavy odds on to go.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think the club always knew that Declan was going to need a bit more time to develop, but that he could be pretty special if given that time. He seems to have improved quite a bit in his 2nd season and I'm pretty optimistic - the quality seems to be there, and we can afford to be relatively patient with him at the moment.

The last couple of drafts could be seen as a vote in confidence in the 2014 crop, and some independent observers still think Hamilton will be one of the best that we got in that draft.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    I think the club always knew that Declan was going to need a bit more time to develop, but that he could be pretty special if given that time. He seems to have improved quite a bit in his 2nd season and I'm pretty optimistic - the quality seems to be there, and we can afford to be relatively patient with him at the moment.

The last couple of drafts could be seen as a vote in confidence in the 2014 crop, and some independent observers still think Hamilton will be one of the best that we got in that draft.
    Out of the 6 draftees that year, Hamilton came to us already having played senior football for Port Adelaide so I would have thought that he might have been a bit more advanced than the other players and certainly not trailing behind.

The problem is that he doesn't get as much as much of the ball as Webb and he doesn't have the speed of Dale. McLean and Daniel have exceeded expectations and it's no shame to be behind them in the order. Cordy of course doesn't compete with him for a spot.
    He's handy around the goals but as a junior player I think his best strength was the way he delivered into the forward line and I don't think we are seeing that now.
    He also needs to add a bit of strength to his play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Just average in all facets of the game for mine. The odds are heavily stacked against him making it at the dogs all things considered.

Post Thanks / Like

I have watched Hamilton over the last two years in the VFL. He did improve this year over his first year, but for mine, he is still some way off AFL level. I note a previous comment around him being good at delivering the ball into the forward line - this was not apparent this year, but in many games this year, the VFL forward line was non existent with no-one to kick it too, which may not have helped Deccy if ball delivery into this area of the ground was his speciality.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Out of the 6 draftees that year, Hamilton came to us already having played senior football for Port Adelaide so I would have thought that he might have been a bit more advanced than the other players and certainly not trailing behind.

The problem is that he doesn't get as much as much of the ball as Webb and he doesn't have the speed of Dale. McLean and Daniel have exceeded expectations and it's no shame to be behind them in the order. Cordy of course doesn't compete with him for a spot.
    He's handy around the goals but as a junior player I think his best strength was the way he delivered into the forward line and I don't think we are seeing that now.
    He also needs to add a bit of strength to his play.

In that case are we playing him to deep at Footscray then? He spends a lot of game time within 30 metres of goal.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.