Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Declan Hamilton - the forgotten Recruit - Can he make it

Hamilton eyes next level

Third-year Western Bulldogs forward Declan Hamilton says that the work he has done with former VFL coach Ashley Hansen has put him in a good place as he works toward his AFL debut.

Speaking after training at Whitten Oval this week, Hamilton said he believed two solid seasons under the watchful eye of Hansen has readied him for the game's highest level.

"The work that I've put in over the last two years at VFL level definitely puts me in good shape to hopefully play [AFL] this year and continue to grow as a player," Hamilton said.

Hamilton credits Hansen and Footscray's VFL captain Jordan Russell for the progress he has made.

"I've done a lot of work with Ash Hansen over the last two years at VFL level. It's a great relationship. Ash has been great since the day I walked in. Ash and Jordy Russell at VFL level are always telling me to play my game and back in my instincts.

“To have that freedom from the coaches to play footy is what every player wants."

Hamilton played in the Bulldogs' opening JLT Community Series encounter against Melbourne, coming on after the long break to pick up seven touches at an impressive 85% disposal efficiency.

"I sort of played probably 50-50 wing/forward and felt that I was able to get into the game, coming in just to play the second half. I felt that I was able to get some good flow into my game so hopefully I can take that forward into the rest of my pre-season."

Taken with pick 39 by the Bulldogs in the 2014 AFL National Draft, Hamilton was a member of Footscray's premiership winning team last year and proved dangerous around goal, kicking 16 majors for the season.

Hamilton is again in the mix to face Brisbane in the Bulldogs' second JLT hitout at Etihad Stadium this Thursday night. He has been named in an extended squad of 29 for the match.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Dry Rot, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen much of the Melbourne game. I did see a couple of his handballs in traffic that were very creative. Dare I say it, a little Jarmanesque.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Haven't seen much of the Melbourne game. I did see a couple of his handballs in traffic that were very creative. Dare I say it, a little Jarmanesque.

No you dare not!

Actually I can hear the name Darren Jarman mentioned now and just admire what a fine player he was and not be transferred in time and space back to the second last Saturday in September 1997 (just before five o clock.) and peer up the other end trying to work out if it's bloody him again who kicked that one too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Cant win his own ball - doesnt have skill in the contested area. Even if he turns his attitude around to winning his own contested ball, he wont ever be good at it. He'll be clumsy and prone to hurting himself and others.

A comparative player would be Suckling who at 27yo or whatever - his kicking ability arguably doesnt make up for his contested deficiencies and will struggle to ever cement a spot in our 22, IMO.

Sydney had a few players like Rohan in the GF who just couldnt handle the physcial intensity of the game and it cost them.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully gets a game on Sunday and shows why we have been so patient with him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree BAD. Needs to be tried given the length of time already at the Club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't think he will, we've tended to reveal debutants early in the week or at least name them on field on Thursday
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason why we have persisted with him for this Long ? The club must see more upside. Only saw him in the vfl granny last year and compair him to JOng , Jong was miles ahead . Not a criticism just observation. Would be great for him to get a game and play well , kick a bag of goals and be part of a win
    Last edited by macca; 14-07-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Is there a reason why we have persisted with him for this Long ? The club must see more upside. Only saw him in the vfl granny last year and compair him to JOng , Jong was miles ahead . Not a criticism just observation. Would be great for him to get a game and play well , kick a bag of goals and be part of a win
    He's been at the club for 3 years which isn't that long. He was a good junior footballer and worth having a decent look at
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's been at the club for 3 years which isn't that long. He was a good junior footballer and worth having a decent look at
    I don't have a problem with seeing what he can do at AFL but I feel we are looking at too many skinny kids who are outside players at a time when we are struggling with the contested footy. Both Dale and Hamilton in the side at the same time? as well as first gamer Young? hmm

Post Thanks / Like

What's his tank like? Outside speed is nice, but continual/repeat spread into good areas is also what we need.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Both Dale and Hamilton in the side at the same time? as well as first gamer Young? hmm
    maybe we're fattening them up for market. The one in Adelaide especially!!!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I don't have a problem with seeing what he can do at AFL but I feel we are looking at too many skinny kids who are outside players at a time when we are struggling with the contested footy. Both Dale and Hamilton in the side at the same time? as well as first gamer Young? hmm
    Fair point but we've tried all the ball winners already and they haven't made a difference. Honeychurch had barely any impact, Smith couldn't touch it, Webb hardly a contested ball winning beast. Maybe we are better served atleast trying to improve our use outside of the contest.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Fair point but we've tried all the ball winners already and they haven't made a difference. Honeychurch had barely any impact, Smith couldn't touch it, Webb hardly a contested ball winning beast. Maybe we are better served atleast trying to improve our use outside of the contest.
    Agreed. We smashed Adelaide in clearances, beat them in contested possessions and still got thrashed largely because our ball use was diabolical.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind playing lighter bodies per se, like with any type, it is about what they contribute. In the last month, Dale has looked like a reliable 15-20 disposals and 1 goal a game player. Young is a tall and flat out looks better here and now than the next best option, forget about development. Both Dale and Young get a game for short AND long term reasons.

My concern with Hamilton is he regularly really struggles even at VFL level. I get that his type is prone to that. Let's see.