Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 28 of 104 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

I don't know if Roughy is the clear #1 choice. He's only ever one contest away from an injury that keeps him out for a while.

2-3 weeks ago, it could have been argued that TC was our best ruckman for the year.

Still plenty to play out in terms of our ruck stocks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don't know if Roughy is the clear #1 choice. He's only ever one contest away from an injury that keeps him out for a while.

2-3 weeks ago, it could have been argued that TC was our best ruckman for the year.

I know he regularly looks like he has suffered an injury in game but he has actually been quite durable this year.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Between TC and Roughie - TC is the better tap ruck, Roughie better around the ground, and I would have to give it to TC for better forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like there might be some post season action if Koby, Jong and TC all look elsewhere.

Could be a good opportunity to package up some picks and get access to some top end talent in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Griffen was still our best player when he left, as seen by his last game in our colours.. His finish to that season was very good and it wasn't a sure thing that his body would have the issues that it has.

We gave up pick 6 + our best player + our best players wage for Boyd.

Coll gave up 2 x 1st round picks (not certain to be top 10 selections) for Treloar + a 2nd rd pick.

I stand by by statement that we gave up more.
    Yep would have loved a second round section back from GWS. The interesting thing is that apparently we were very keen on 2 metre Peter at pick 6.

Post Thanks / Like

A report going around 4 other clubs are chasing Koby Stevens very hard. Do we sign him up as a must have contract, or see if a bidding war nets us a pick or player we would really want?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

On Stevens I don't think we have enough depth or wins on the board to let best 22 players was out the door with ready made replacements.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    A report going around 4 other clubs are chasing Koby Stevens very hard. Do we sign him up as a must have contract, or see if a bidding war nets us a pick or player we would really want?
    Very rarely do bidding wars happening between clubs anymore. Current trend is the player nominates which club they want and it's up to the clubs to get the deal done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    On Stevens I don't think we have enough depth or wins on the board to let best 22 players was out the door with ready made replacements.
    Say it was for a swap for a Prestia or Hill who would also be best 22, but in a slightly different role.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Say it was for a swap for a Prestia or Hill who would also be best 22, but in a slightly different role.
    I could live with a best 22 replacement, especially with outside speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it a bit hard to believe Stevens name is being thrown around as a possible trade candidate and I also find it strange more here on WOOF aren't challenging that suggestion.

He's a leader at the club, in the right age bracket with experience for us and I think he should be regarded as being in our best 15 players. If he's keen to explore his options then so be it but I have read nothing to say he wants to do that.

I'm sure there will be some takers but can anyone give me something plausible to say we would be better by letting him go?
    What plausible deal makes it worthwhile to trade Koby?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes hujsh, N/A, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I find it a bit hard to believe Stevens name is being thrown around as a possible trade candidate and I also find it strange more here on WOOF aren't challenging that suggestion.

He's a leader at the club, in the right age bracket with experience for us and I think he should be regarded as being in our best 15 players. If he's keen to explore his options then so be it but I have read nothing to say he wants to do that.

I'm sure there will be some takers but can anyone give me something plausible to say we would be better by letting him go?
    What I said was this report (real or otherwise) is out there. Then I asked do we sign him up immediately (presumably increasing our offer) or do we see if the market rate for him nets us a player we want, but can't readily acquire without him in the trade. It's a question.

The deal that makes it worthwhile trading Koby is the deal the club determines to be worthwhile in trading Koby, as a matter of logic.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? In picking our best team I would have as one of the last picked.. if picked at all.

As mids all of Libba, Bont, Dahl, Hunter, Macrae and Wallis are better players than Stevens... So where does he fit in?

I put his name up a while back and I was happy if he was used to get ourselves into a better draft position.

eg. Stevens + our 1st pick = a top 4-6 pick.

I see our team as having a lot of the same types, hard, slowish mids with only average kicking skills.. Adding some real speed & kicking skills is a must if we are to continue to improve.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? In picking our best team I would have as one of the last picked.. if picked at all.

As mids all of Libba, Bont, Dahl, Hunter, Macrae and Wallis are better players than Stevens... So where does he fit in?
    Yes really, an emphatic really.
    To me he fits in nicely and I don't see how he misses selection. With limited rotations we need flexible players and I think Stevens compliments the players above.

I put his name up a while back and I was happy if he was used to get ourselves into a better draft position.

eg. Stevens + our 1st pick = a top 4-6 pick.

I see our team as having a lot of the same types, hard, slowish mids with only average kicking skills.. Adding some real speed & kicking skills is a must if we are to continue to improve.
    I asked for a plausible deal that makes trading Stevens worthwhile, what you've suggested is highly unlikely given the nature of what teams with academy players and teams with early selections are likely to consider. I just can't see any of the teams likely to have top 6 selections that would take deal. Which teams do you feel would be ready to be fleeced in a draft with midfield depth?

As for the 'slowish mids' we don't look too slow when we are up and running but of course we could always find room for another Johannisen type. Stevens is not the perfect player but I believe he fits our team in a few areas. Happy to have him as part of the trade discussions but they need to be realistic.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Stevens is best 22 and has been in excellent form this year. He is averaging 24 disposals per game with a year high of 34 and his defensive side is excellent. He is also pretty accurate in front of goal and is the sort of player that fits in with Bevo's game plan. At age 25, I would not be giving him up for some untried 18 year old who may or may not make it.
    Last edited by bornadog; 08-07-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post