Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yes really, an emphatic really.
    To me he fits in nicely and I don't see how he misses selection. With limited rotations we need flexible players and I think Stevens compliments the players above.
    I guess we will see if/when we get a full list to choose from.. And I know Bevo is a fan and will pick him so I'm pushing shit up hill, but I would prefer others.

I asked for a plausible deal that makes trading Stevens worthwhile, what you've suggested is highly unlikely given the nature of what teams with academy players and teams with early selections are likely to consider. I just can't see any of the teams likely to have top 6 selections that would take deal. Which teams do you feel would be ready to be fleeced in a draft with midfield depth?
    A team like GC (especially if they lose Prestia or O'Meara or both) could use some midfield depth with a mature player.. Carlton are another.

As for the 'slowish mids' we don't look too slow when we are up and running but of course we could always find room for another Johannisen type. Stevens is not the perfect player but I believe he fits our team in a few areas. Happy to have him as part of the trade discussions but they need to be realistic.
    All teams look great when they are up & going, but we looked painfully slow agaisnt Geelong a few weeks back... Hopefully no more repeat performances to come, but if there are we need to change the mix.. And I know Stevens (and others) weren't there, but pace in defensive transition was lacking and adding Stevens doesn't help in this area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    A team like GC (especially if they lose Prestia or O'Meara or both) could use some midfield depth with a mature player.. Carlton are another.
    To me the more likely scenario is for teams like GC or the Lions trading/swapping 2nd round selections with clubs higher up the ladder if they can acquire an experienced player in a deal but they still both need early picks and points for their academy players. Perhaps something creative might peak their interest.

My gut feel is Carlton will once again look at doing deals for GWS players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes really, an emphatic really.
    To me he fits in nicely and I don't see how he misses selection. With limited rotations we need flexible players and I think Stevens compliments the players above.

I asked for a plausible deal that makes trading Stevens worthwhile, what you've suggested is highly unlikely given the nature of what teams with academy players and teams with early selections are likely to consider. I just can't see any of the teams likely to have top 6 selections that would take deal. Which teams do you feel would be ready to be fleeced in a draft with midfield depth?

As for the 'slowish mids' we don't look too slow when we are up and running but of course we could always find room for another Johannisen type. Stevens is not the perfect player but I believe he fits our team in a few areas. Happy to have him as part of the trade discussions but they need to be realistic.
    You think he's in the top 15 of a top 4 contender but you don't think he can be packaged up for a higher pick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You think he's in the top 15 of a top 4 contender but you don't think he can be packaged up for a higher pick?
    I've supplied the reasons, have a look at them and then tell me which teams you think would do the deal?

Post Thanks / Like

To me the more likely scenario is for teams like GC or the Lions trading/swapping 2nd round selections with clubs higher up the ladder if they can acquire an experienced player in a deal but they still both need early picks and points for their academy players. Perhaps something creative might peak their interest.
    Don't GC already have 3 first round picks for this year? They may get a few more if Prestia and O'Meara depart.. How many do they need?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Don't GC already have 3 first round picks for this year? They may get a few more if Prestia and O'Meara depart.. How many do they need?
    GWS have done pretty well stock pilling first round selections. I would have thought GC need to play the long game now that injuries and a few other reasons have dropped them back to the field a bit. I think they currently have 2 first round selections and 3 second round picks in 2016.

They have a highly rated academy player in Bowes they need to cater for so that might burn a bit of currency.

Post Thanks / Like

My gut feel is Carlton will once again look at doing deals for GWS players.
    If you could put a bet on Carlton giving GWS draft picks for players you'd make money.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see a scenario where he could upgrade our first round selection. Dalrymple is bloody brilliant - I'd love to keep putting good ammo in his hands for a couple of years yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Delist from senior list- Prudden, Minson, Hamilton
    Delist from rookie list- Goetz, Adcock
    Trade (keep if we can't get anything worthwhile)- Honeychurch, Hrovat
    Trade if he wants to go- Jong

I am happy enough to just delist 3. Our 4th round pick would be in the 65-70 zone, pretty likely the same player would be available in the rookie draft.

10. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post

I am happy enough to just delist 3. Our 4th round pick would be in the 65-70 zone, pretty likely the same player would be available in the rookie draft.
    That's my list - would probably add Hamling to the list of under scrutiny. Think Hrovat will be held onto - quality footballer who has had a tough run with injury. Honeychurch I think is not in Bevo's plans.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to firming a little this way. Id add in Hamling in the questionable group. I think we need to keep free agency open with a fourth or even five spots. With rumours abound on Hurley (hopefully as a DFA) and Gordon saying we will be active (rumours on Vardy, Prestia etc) I think we need 4, and who knows maybe another club goes hard at some of our uncontracted players?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    That's my list - would probably add Hamling to the list of under scrutiny. Think Hrovat will be held onto - quality footballer who has had a tough run with injury. Honeychurch I think is not in Bevo's plans.
    I would hold onto both Hrovat and Honeychurch if we can't get anything of semi-decent value.

Hamling is next on the chopping block for mine. I do see some potential growth in him still though and maybe a decent look at him forward before we let him go though.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hold onto both Hrovat and Honeychurch if we can't get anything of semi-decent value.

Hamling is next on the chopping block for mine. I do see some potential growth in him still though and maybe a decent look at him forward before we let him go though.
    Agree on H & H. I'd want something worthwhile for them. They'd be best 15 at Brisbane, perhaps a player trade if we like someone that plays a role we need/want.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Very harsh to be delisting an 18YO development ruckman after 1 year on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently we have been good at re-signing the players we want to keep.

However, a number remain un-signed.

What's happening with Smith, Jong, Stevens, Campbell and the Rat?

Pies allegedly after Jong.

FWIW I've read rumours that the Bombers are chasing Campbell and Smith.

And I've read rumours that WCE is keen and offering Stevens a contract a lot longer than us.

If true, could we try to get a WCE tall defender (other than Brown)? They have enough of them.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.