Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 32 of 104 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

An early start, but one spot has opened up. Do we look to rookie draft another project ruckman?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    An early start, but one spot has opened up. Do we look to rookie draft another project ruckman?
    Depends on the draft, if we pick up a ruck free agency or in the draft and with Roughie, Campbell, Boyd and a big if Wilbur sticks around for back up then we should have enough, we may also be looking to re-rookie one of our delistings.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be looking for a Marcus Adams type, ie around 21, 22 years old that we can develop. Someone that missed being drafted as an 18 year old for whatever reason, but has the talent and passion to make it at the highest level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Depends on the draft, if we pick up a ruck free agency or in the draft and with Roughie, Campbell, Boyd and a big if Wilbur sticks around for back up then we should have enough, we may also be looking to re-rookie one of our delistings.
    My concern about taking a delisted player in the rookie draft is that it hasn't done anything for us yet as a strategy. Mitch Hahn, Brett Goodes & Daniel Pearce would be cut after showing bugger all whilst on the rookie list. The lesson I take from that is if the club thinks they don't deserve a senior spot, they don't deserve a rookie spot - even more so when we've found Matt Boyd, Dale Morris, Dahl, JJ, Picken, Campbell, Redpath & Roarke Smith (played Senior's) on the senior list as it stands today.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My concern about taking a delisted player in the rookie draft is that it hasn't done anything for us yet as a strategy. Mitch Hahn, Brett Goodes & Daniel Pearce would be cut after showing bugger all whilst on the rookie list. The lesson I take from that is if the club thinks they don't deserve a senior spot, they don't deserve a rookie spot - even more so when we've found Matt Boyd, Dale Morris, Dahl, JJ, Picken, Campbell, Redpath & Roarke Smith (played Senior's) on the senior list as it stands today.
    Agree but I I still think Pruden may be a chance to be rookied if delisted and available at our pick.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Has a decision been made on the rookie list staying for next year? It might be a factor if you draft a project player or look at adding someone with a bit more senior experience from a state league as BAD suggested.

We are entering our window now and we all know that developing young ruckman takes a lot of time. Tom Campbell for example as been on our list for a fair while and I still think he has plenty of improvement in front of him.

Assuming we have just Campbell, Roughead and Tom Boyd for next season I'd suggest we need to trade for a player with some senior experience so I don't think a project ruckman is what we really need.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I would if there was someone decent, but rucks move all the time so they're always available in a pinch.

Adcock will also get moved on, you'd imagine. I'd use his spot on a skinny live wire forward pocket that needs a few years to simmer away ala Charlie Cameron or Tom Papley.

Elevate Roarke and keep Lynch on the rookie list for one more year.

Gives us 3 live rookie picks to take a shot with. 1 ruck (if decent), 1 forward, 1 best available.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Has a decision been made on the rookie list staying for next year? It might be a factor if you draft a project player or look at adding someone with a bit more senior experience from a state league as BAD suggested.

We are entering our window now and we all know that developing young ruckman takes a lot of time. Tom Campbell for example as been on our list for a fair while and I still think he has plenty of improvement in front of him.

Assuming we have just Campbell, Roughead and Tom Boyd for next season I'd suggest we need to trade for a player with some senior experience so I don't think a project ruckman is what we really need.
    Daw, Vardy, Witts etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Daw, Vardy, Witts etc?
    Sort of. Daw shouldn't move from North to be the 3rd wheel at another club. I'd guess Witts might be happy with any role. Vardy is certainly the type of player who could fit in straight away assuming he passed fitness tests with our medical team. Could he fill a first ruck spot? I'd probably doubt that but he should be able to handle a job as a tall forward rotating in the ruck.
    If we were to recruit Vardy it would have to limit playing both Campbell and Roughead playing as ruckman and I wonder what it would mean for Redpath?

The long shot would be to go hard at getting Jackson Trengove who could hold down a key defensive role and provide a better ruck option than Daw, Vardy and Witts.

We will need some additional coverage but it might not be easy to identify an ideal fit.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sort of. Daw shouldn't move from North to be the 3rd wheel at another club. I'd guess Witts might be happy with any role. Vardy is certainly the type of player who could fit in straight away assuming he passed fitness tests with our medical team. Could he fill a first ruck spot? I'd probably doubt that but he should be able to handle a job as a tall forward rotating in the ruck.
    If we were to recruit Vardy it would have to limit playing both Campbell and Roughead playing as ruckman and I wonder what it would mean for Redpath?

The long shot would be to go hard at getting Jackson Trengove who could hold down a key defensive role and provide a better ruck option than Daw, Vardy and Witts.

We will need some additional coverage but it might not be easy to identify an ideal fit.
    I don't watch that much Port. I know we were lucky to not invest pick 12 last year with a port ruckman. What's Trengove's market value?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't watch that much Port. I know we were lucky to not invest pick 12 last year with a port ruckman. What's Trengove's market value?
    Here is a story on him and why he is playing ruck at the moment.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate of mine positive he was the Great Grandson of the Factory Goetz and son of one of the twins he and I went to school with in Willy, but I can't be positive as I just took his word.
    The old man might be right then.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Mate of mine positive he was the Great Grandson of the Factory Goetz and son of one of the twins he and I went to school with in Willy, but I can't be positive as I just took his word.
    I went to Willy High and there was a kid name Goetz there. Not a twin if I remember. Always in trouble too

Post Thanks / Like

If we get Hurley, I think Hamling should be delisted/rookied.

With the Beveridge style, we only play 3 tall defenders if they really warrant spot. We will have...

First choice- Hurley, Adams, Morris/Wood combo

Replace Morris/back ups- Collins, Z Cordy, Roberts.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bolded guys had spent a couple of years developing well at VFL level - that's where I'd be looking.
    We missed Podsiadly who would have been handy for us, ditto Ben Hudson (having to trade for him later from Adelaide).
    Our list is at the point now where adding an experienced guy for cover isn't going to hurt us as we have so many kids developing.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post