Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dog Koby Stevens fit to fight for midfield spot

link

KOBY Stevens was in career-best form last season when he got the shock of his life.

The rugged midfielder was recovering from a bruised lung that saw him taken to hospital during the round 15 clash with Gold Coast, when he noticed pain in his foot.

That discomfort turned out to be a stress facture, which ended his year and ruined his off-season.

"I didn't think it was that significant at the start, but it ended up being a 20 to 30-week injury, which is pretty serious," Stevens told AFL.com.au.

"It was really frustrating considering the year I was having because it came right out of the blue.

"And I was planning to go on a surfing trip at the end of the season, but the foot operation changed all that.

"But I got back into full training after Christmas and the foot is feeling really good and I'm pretty much fully fit."

Before injury beset the 24-year-old, he'd averaged 23 disposals a game over the previous five weeks to become an integral part of the Bulldogs' imposing midfield.

The big-bodied Bairnsdale product was getting plenty of the footy, winning clearances and helping fill the big hole left by an ACL injury to star playmaker Tom Liberatore.

But it's not going to be easy reclaiming his spot, with Liberatore back to full fitness and a host of impressive youngsters eager for more senior opportunities.

And it's that competition for spots that Stevens hopes will drive him and the Dogs to greater heights in 2016.

"It's going to be pretty interesting come the start of the year, which is good because we've hardly got anyone in the rehab group and the young blokes are hungry for a spot in the side, so it's going to be pretty competitive come round one," Stevens said.

"It's motivated me to push my game to another level."

A country boy at heart, Stevens is enjoying the growing presence of fellow Gippsland Power graduates at Whitten Oval, with skipper Bob Murphy, Clay Smith, Lukas Webb and draftee Josh Dunkley all hailing from the TAC Cup club.

Dunkley and Webb are two pups nipping at his heels for midfield time, but Stevens still takes great pride in guiding the emerging duo.

"I've had a fair bit to do with Josh because I was his mentor when he first arrived at the club," he said.

"He's been great since he's arrived. He's such a sponge and he's improving every day.

"I've known him and Lukas for a while."

Sadly, one man not pushing for a round one spot against Fremantle is Stevens' long-time friend Clay Smith, with the tough-as-teak midfielder recuperating from a third knee reconstruction in as many years.

"Clay is in pretty good spirits considering he's been through a rough trot," Stevens said.

"He's working his way through his rehab and we're just looking to get him back playing footy, because missing three years of footy is pretty hard on a young fella.

"I found it pretty hard watching the boys play last year, but the way he's handled it, it's been inspirational."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dog Koby Stevens fit to fight for midfield spot

Gotta love Koby. Years spent learning to play forward will help him this year given Bevo's penchant for versatile types.
    Crameri missing should help too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love Koby I do worry that the intense physicality of his playing style will leave him struggling to stay on the park as much as we need him to. He did have a cracking year last year though. I thought the loss to the Saints where we got run over, had as much to do with Koby being limited after half time where'd he'd been pretty much best on, as it did with Clay Smith's injury.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

The I heard Bevo speak of him recently, he won't need to fight too hard to impress the coach. He's clearly, clearly done that already. Probably because if you squint, the photo above looks like Jarrad Grant.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The I heard Bevo speak of him recently, he won't need to fight too hard to impress the coach. He's clearly, clearly done that already. Probably because if you squint, the photo above looks like Jarrad Grant.
    Are you familiar with looking at Jarrad Grant whilst squinting BT?

I suspect so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Are you familiar with looking at Jarrad Grant whilst squinting BT?

I suspect so.
    Nah, I like to stare into his eyes. I find it more romantic.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes N/A, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember when Kobe cleaned up that Brisbane Lions player last season? We missed his physicality in the last part of the season and with his new found run and carry, break the tackles, break the lines style that he was exhibiting when he was averaging around 23 possessions for his last 6 odd games before the stress fracture injury, he will get heaps of games in 2016.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Vitally important player. One of my 'must have in the team' players.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Vitally important player. One of my 'must have in the team' players.
    Agree. Work rate is second to none.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Heretic.
    I founded the Church of Koby.
    Spindleshanks was a false prophet.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on I'm confused are supposed to be squinting at both during the comparison? Or just at Koby?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hang on I'm confused are supposed to be squinting at both during the comparison? Or just at Koby?
    Whatever you would like. I'm not used to having my posts analysed, such is the quality of most of my 12,000 posts.

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you would like. I'm not used to having my posts analysed, such is the quality of most of my 12,000 posts.
    Don't you mean posts 'squinted' at...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Don't you mean posts 'squinted' at...
    I don't know what I mean at the bests of times?..?.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what I mean at the bests of times?..?.

What about the worst of times? How do you go them?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite