Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Former Hawks president Andrew Newbold wants Western Bulldogs premiership

link

NEWLY appointed AFL commissioner Andrew Newbold has revealed his desire to see the Western Bulldogs win their second premiership as part of his equalisation vision.
    The Dogs’ solitary premiership came in 1954, while other clubs such as Hawthorn have won numerous flags since.
    Newbold, who became a director at the Hawks in 2003 and president in 2011 before resigning earlier this month, revealed he made contact with Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon on Wednesday.

“I left a message for Peter Gordon yesterday saying I’d love to see the Bulldogs win their second flag while I’m on the commission,” Newbold told SEN.
    “Hawthorn knew we wouldn’t win every year. It would be great to see someone else have a go. Those little things I think would be very satisfying.”

Newbold has been critical of the AFL’s equalisation measures in the past and, even in his new role working for the governing body, he remains steadfast in his views.
    He even ventured to the USA on an equalisation fact-finding mission in 2013 alongside Collingwood president Eddie McGuire in a bid to improve the league’s system.

“That’s something closer to my heart — turning up every week and getting a competition where you don’t know who is going to win,” he said.
    “At the moment we have the ‘has’ and the ‘has nots’ and I think it’s really important we reach a position where the clubs are not looking over their shoulder wondering what is going to be their (financial) position at the end of the year … there is a lot more to be done.
    “We are getting closer to that but there is still some work to be done. If I can assist with that then it will be very satisfying.”

In June last year, Newbold called for a full-scale review of the league’s equalisation measures, citing the unevenness of the AFL’s model.

Clubs such as Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn voiced their displeasure at a bloated AFL administration that was making millions from stripping their revenue streams, while still taxing them and then distributing that money to rival clubs.

And even without a brown and gold bias, Newbold’s position on equalisation has not changed.
    “I think there is a better mechanism than the revenue tax,” he said.
    “My point about that is that we have only shifted about $4.5 million from some clubs to the others. I think it’s more a disincentive for the clubs that are paying the tax. I think there are other ways of equalising revenue distribution.”
    While unsure whether the AFL intends to buy Etihad Stadium back before the current deal expires on March 8, 2025, Newbold conceded the current agreement was crippling its tenant clubs.

“The acquisition of Etihad is obviously a big piece of the puzzle,” he said.
    “I haven’t even been to one meeting yet so I’m not really in a position to speak about how close that is (the purchase of Etihad Stadium).

“I think it’s key to making clubs like St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs more self-sufficient and profitable. I think it is a key plank.”
    Newbold joins the AFL Commission alongside former GWS director Gabrielle Trainor. The pair will replace Chris Langford and Sam Mostyn in March.

He was director when Hawthorn won the 2008 premiership and has been president for each of the club’s last three flags in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Former Hawks president Andrew Newbold wants Western Bulldogs premiership

I find his comments patronising and don't much like him singling us out as 'battlers' but I am very pleased he is putting Etihad, tenancy arrangements and general equalisation of opportunity high on the list of priorities.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all well and good to single out getting a better stadium return from Etihad as being important, but when the AFL schedule the same handful of teams for high drawing prime time games year after year after year and give the scraps to their low priority clubs then the rich will keep getting richer and the "battlers" as he likes to call them will only ever be battlers.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's all well and good to single out getting a better stadium return from Etihad as being important, but when the AFL schedule the same handful of teams for high drawing prime time games year after year after year and give the scraps to their low priority clubs then the rich will keep getting richer and the "battlers" as he likes to call them will only ever be battlers.
    I have stated on several occasions that the first step in real equalisation is the sharing of gate takings from all games equally amongst all clubs.

If the AFL picks up the expense and distributes the profits the whole stadium deal issue is dead.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I find his comments patronising and don't much like him singling us out as 'battlers' but I am very pleased he is putting Etihad, tenancy arrangements and general equalisation of opportunity high on the list of priorities.
    Newbold will fit in very well at AFL House - he does the smug and entitled thing as well as anyone currently does at City Hall.

The entire competition needs a complete re-boot with regard to stadium deals, redistribution of revenue, etc.. - doubt very much it will happen in my lifetime, let alone during Newbold's tenure on the commission.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Newbold will fit in very well at AFL House - he does the smug and entitled thing as well as anyone currently does at City Hall.

The entire competition needs a complete re-boot with regard to stadium deals, redistribution of revenue, etc.. - doubt very much it will happen in my lifetime, let alone during Newbold's tenure on the commission.
    You gotta hand it to the AFL. Newbold must be the only person in the country that could increase the smugness count on the AFL commission.

Still he might be a smug bastard but it looks like he's our smug bastard. He might have said it a bit clunkilly but I agree with his general point. Strongly. I'd really like us to win a premiership. Or several premierships. Soon.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Will be great once we secure a better stadium deal with Etihad. We need to be making a profit there. If we can reach 50,000 members in the future we would be in a better position to play a few more at the MCG which would be great for the finals. Wish we played a 1 home game per year at WO as my signature states but the reality is we won't and 1-2 games per year at Ballarat is the future.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Agreed and agreed. Very much so.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh joy, someone from club hubris going to city hall.
    Eddie Mcguire's deputy .

Post Thanks / Like

I can take a bit of patronising if it can secure a better stadium deal and ultimately helps our bottom line. But patronise this group at your own peril because give em a sniff at one premiership and they'll take 5.