Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever happened to... Ben Harrison?

Twodogs favourite player.

Story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whatever happened to... Ben Harrison?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Twodogs favourite player.

Story here
    I didn't mind him at all. From memory Twodogs didn't rate him because he was 193cm and didn't play like a key position player. 10 or 12 years later we see quite a few tall's that don't play as KPP.

By the way, why would he name a son Harry? Harry Harrison? That's not fair.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Cue TwoDogs story about one of our trainers. I'm more than happy to hear it again though TD.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit, 2 sons and he only played 85 games (just looked it up). Just watch one of them become a Daniel Hanneberry, Sam Reid or Alex Rance.

BTW, I'm a newbie, what's the story?

Post Thanks / Like

Tell the damn story.

Edit - As if we don't have all caps! That's my whole gimmick!
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I didn't mind him at all.
    I didn't either. I thought he played well on Riewoldt and kept him quiet every time we played the Saints. He was a good match up on him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I didn't mind him at all. From memory Twodogs didn't rate him because he was 193cm and didn't play like a key position player. 10 or 12 years later we see quite a few tall's that don't play as KPP.

By the way, why would he name a son Harry? Harry Harrison? That's not fair.
    Sort of, but not really. His son's name is Henry.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago in the dimmest darkest Peter Rohde days I scored tickets to go in the rooms before a game against Freo*. Anyway after the team's had run out we had seats sitting with all the trainers.

As a couple of posters have pointed out I didn't exactly rate Harrison for his ability to go when it was his turn or willingness to put his head over the ball. I didn't mind mentioning it either but thought that maybe I ought to keep my opinions to my self that particular day. Anyway first contest of the game and as usual Harrison wasn't interested and the old trainer sitting next to me turns and says "Harrison goes and shits himself like a big black Alsatian as usual"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I had a , let's just say robust discussion with I think one of David Smorgon's sons on the virtues of one Ben Harrison .
    Game in Canberra ( memorable result ) in 04 against Norf, and I was bagging the crap out of his nonchalant efforts .
    David's son came back with the tired old " you go out and do better " line .Funny thing as he agreed with me that Ben wasn't any good .

Post Thanks / Like

Oh. I forgot to add my asterisk point. That was the day I saw Murali in the rooms before the game. Something about David Young being his surgeon, orthopaedic(?) surgeon I think. Didn't see him among the crowd during the game though.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't mind him, not like we were blessed for talls or tallish players during most of his era.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I had a , let's just say robust discussion with I think one of David Smorgon's sons on the virtues of one Ben Harrison .
    Game in Canberra ( memorable result ) in 04 against Norf, and I was bagging the crap out of his nonchalant efforts .
    David's son came back with the tired old " you go out and do better " line .Funny thing as he agreed with me that Ben wasn't any good .
    I enjoy hearing that at the footy. Always gives me a laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

I always hated it when I looked at our team and saw blokes playing who would never be part of our longer term future. Ben Harrison was one and Ed Barlow was another. They used to depress me.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I didn't mind him, not like we were blessed for talls or tallish players during most of his era.

That was kinda my point. You'd see Johnno and Bubba really go beyond the call of duty and play on blokes a foot taller than them but Harrison would be running around avoiding physical contact of any kind. If we had a lot of talls in the side at that stage it wouldn't have as bad, Harrison would have been a really handy third tall because he had a bit of toe and used the ball well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The simple answer is "Hand me a jumper"

16. Likes Happy Days, Remi Moses liked this post