Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  98
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NAB Challenge Game 1 v GWS Thursday, 25 February, 7.10pm at StarTrack Oval (Canberra)

Having my first look at the game now and the stand-out thing for me is how well we've done to find so many 'efficient' users of the footy through the midfield. Bobby, Suckling and co will break the game open but Stevens, Macrae and Wallis who aren't particularly good users of the footy all look to be playing more within their limits and spotting the short option. Dahlhaus is probably the biggest culprit in terms of wasting the footy because the majority he gets is either in tight around the stoppage or kicking at top pace.

Our ball movement looks a class above GWS' which is seriously exciting for February.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NAB Challenge Game 1 v GWS Thursday, 25 February, 7.10pm at StarTrack Oval (Canberra)

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Having my first look at the game now and the stand-out thing for me is how well we've done to find so many 'efficient' users of the footy through the midfield. Bobby, Suckling and co will break the game open but Stevens, Macrae and Wallis who aren't particularly good users of the footy all look to be playing more within their limits and spotting the short option. Dahlhaus is probably the biggest culprit in terms of wasting the footy because the majority he gets is either in tight around the stoppage or kicking at top pace.

Our ball movement looks a class above GWS' which is seriously exciting for February.
    Just to add to that, I heard Chris Connelly say yesterday that, of all the NAB games played so far, the Bulldogs have had the noticeably superior ball movement of all teams to play.

It was noticeable on the stats table that our disposal efficiency percentages were very high, with Daniel, Suckling and Murphy going at 100% - it's very rare to see 3 players from 1 team record double digit possessions at 100%. Early days but very encouraging.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McLean and Daniel look to be excellent users of the ball. There should be a mention of Macrae in this context, his handballing under pressure is a pleasure to watch.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    McLean and Daniel look to be excellent users of the ball. There should be a mention of Macrae in this context, his handballing under pressure is a pleasure to watch.
    Agreed, he seems to have set himself the task of improving his 'inside mid' skills this season. As you say his handballing under pressure against the Giants was worth a mention.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Just to add to that, I heard Chris Connelly say yesterday that, of all the NAB games played so far, the Bulldogs have had the noticeably superior ball movement of all teams to play.

It was noticeable on the stats table that our disposal efficiency percentages were very high, with Daniel, Suckling and Murphy going at 100% - it's very rare to see 3 players from 1 team record double digit possessions at 100%. Early days but very encouraging.
    \14 marks inside 50 is a good stat. Could have easily been 16 or 17 given the sitters we dropped, which is very high.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, one advantage of being short, your ball drop has less room for error. Hrovat seems to be a good user of the ball too. Great to see him looking happy and loving his footy. He has a huge pack breathing down his neck for a slot. Expect some good improvement.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the McLean fly but even better was his recovery to pick the ball up at ground level, then fire an under pressure hand ball to advantage to keep the play moving.

Kid has it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I loved the McLean fly but even better was his recovery to pick the ball up at ground level, then fire an under pressure hand ball to advantage to keep the play moving.

Kid has it.
    That was a terrific bit of play full of skill and swagger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    \14 marks inside 50 is a good stat. Could have easily been 16 or 17 given the sitters we dropped, which is very high.
    True. I think that is also a reflection of how well we moved the ball. The player bringing the ball into the 50 often had options everywhere. Low intensity of a practice match helped, but still very promising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Kid has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    That was a terrific bit of play full of skill and swagger.
    Yep. Fantastic stuff for the kid to have that much presence of mind so early in the season and his career. Its going to be fun watching him develop.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.