Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kieran Collins set to be handed AFL opportunity by Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge

link

THERE’S just about no better place to be drafted than to the Western Bulldogs.
    Young, hungry and ready to build on an impressive 2015 season, Luke Beveridge’s side has no ceiling going into the new campaign.
    And they’ll also blood anyone worthy of their chance.

In 2015, the Dogs used a total of 40 players throughout the year — more than any other finals team and the third most in the competition. Of the six players drafted to the club the year prior, only Declan Hamilton is yet to make his debut.

They’re stats not lost on young defender Kieran Collins.

Selected to the Bulldogs with pick 26 in last year’s draft, Collins’ first chat with Beveridge gave him the motivation to hit pre-season hard and earn his place in the club’s Round 1 team.

“He told me to be myself and really enjoy it,” Collins tells foxfooty.com.au.
    “He told me to take every opportunity I get and really look to work hard. One message I’ve got from him is that if you’re fit and you’re playing good football, they’ll play you. I’m really looking to get the most out of it.”

Kieran Collins in action with Vic Country last year. Picture: Colleen Petch.
    Source: News Corp Australia
    And he already is. A strong summer has been rewarded with a place in the Bulldogs’ squad for its opening NAB Challenge match with the GWS Giants on Thursday.
    “Kieran has been quite impressive in our match simulation and in his ability to absorb the way we want him to play in our systems,” Beveridge said earlier in the week.

Blessed with one of the most exciting midfield groups in the competition, headlined by the grunt of Tom Liberatore and the class of Marcus Bontempelli, the Dogs have set about bolstering its key position stocks in recent years.

Former No.1 draft pick Tom Boyd was brought over from the Giants, complementing Jake Stringer in a talented forward line.
    But defensively, Beveridge’s outfit required talls.
    Although the club lacked key position defenders last season, it fought valiantly to qualify for finals.

Easton Wood played above his height to earn All-Australian honours, while the likes of Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd and Robert Murphy wound back the years in the back six.

However, the display of Adelaide captain Taylor Walker in last season’s elimination final was realisation that the Dogs needed cover.

At 194cm and 100kg, Collins was a ready-made option. Still available to the Dogs when their first back-to-back picks rolled around at the draft, calling out his name was a no-brainer.
    “It was a massive relief, knowing I’m on an AFL list,” Collins says of draft night. “I’m living the dream and staying in Victoria is awesome to be close to family.”

Kieran Collins with partner-in-crime at both Vic Country and Dandenong Stingrays, Jacob Weitering.
    Source: Supplied
    The best one-on-one defender in last year’s under 18s championships, Collins didn’t lose a single individual contest and was rated by Champion Data as ‘elite’ for intercept marks and spoils.
    His game has since grown further under the tutorship of Wood, who is taking the young pup under his wing this summer.

“He’s been a really big help,” Collins says. “You pick on up his professionalism and the way he goes about it. Also the things he does off the field, as well as on it. The way he trains, he looks to get the most out of himself and those around him.”

Along with the likes of Wood and Collins in the Dogs’ defence on Thursday night will be mature-aged recruit Marcus Adams.
    Drafted from WAFL side West Perth, where he has spent the last five years, the 22-year-old is another big-bodied prospect that is bound to slot straight into the back six when required.

“Marcus comes to us as a mature athlete who we didn’t need to protect from the rigours of the whole pre-season, because he’s had a number of them,” Beveridge said of Adams.

But although the competition for places is increasing, the goals for Collins this season remain simple.

“I’d love to play Round 1, but really I’m looking just to get myself right and get the most out of this pre-season,” he says.
    “Once the games start, I’ll be looking to play when I’m needed. Hopefully I’ll play Round 1, but whenever will be nice.”

Kieran Collins was speaking at the AFLPA’s induction camp.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, N/A, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kieran Collins set to be handed AFL opportunity by Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge

Can't wait to see how he develops over the next few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kieran Collins set to be handed AFL opportunity by Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge

Very interesting he's training with Wood over KPD types, working on his intercept marking (for which Woody is elite)?
    Sounds like a 10 year player
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It would make a massive difference to our future aspirations if Collins can become the player we hope. He could fill nicely one of the few gaps the list has.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be the oldest 18 year old I have ever seen.

I'm amazed that he was still available in the mid 20's given that he was "Unbeatable" in the TAC. Out of our new draftees, he is the one that excites me the most.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    I'm amazed that he was still available in the mid 20's given that he was "Unbeatable" in the TAC. Out of our new draftees, he is the one that excites me the most.
    Nat Fyfe was available in the 20s too - as well as some highly rated kid called Toby

Interesting that Buckanara rated Collins top 3 (either overall or in KPP terms, not sure). He does have form in selecting talls over mids though given they are harder to find.

We may actually have something I thought I'd never see in my lifetime - genuine competition for spots in a Bulldogs spine at both ends of the ground.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Has to be the oldest 18 year old I have ever seen.

He looks 15 years older than my 17 yo son.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel he was overlooked in the draft due to a perception he had limited improvement in him. All because he looks like a 45 year old.

I will enjoy seeing if he is still growing/improving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Nat Fyfe was available in the 20s too - as well as some highly rated kid called Toby

Interesting that Buckanara rated Collins top 3 (either overall or in KPP terms, not sure). He does have form in selecting talls over mids though given they are harder to find.

We may actually have something I thought I'd never see in my lifetime - genuine competition for spots in a Bulldogs spine at both ends of the ground.
    Fyfe had nothing on Christian Howard
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Someone had go there didn't they ��Burst my little bubble of happiness.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

12. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes he is a likely prospect and I am pumped he is ours! You can't help but get excited going by what we read about him. I am eager to see what all the hype is about and praying that it's not just that, hype. Exciting times ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

The circle is looking pretty complete. If Collins can be half the player we need him to be and we can draft in some pace for the midfield our list looks dynasty-esque and will be nigh on unstoppable over the next few years. Unlike previous tilts (and I believe we are now in our window) such as 08(?) when we lost Cooney and Higgins leading up to the finals, if we cop an injury or two now we have coverage and quality coverage at that.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Love his nickname, 'Dad'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Dad's Army.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a second of yeterday's match, but a quick read it looks like he's better already than Talia ever was at his prime...