Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jong wants to add another dimension to his game

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    My fav 5 Dogs players are Murphy, Bont, Stringer, Picken and Jong. Three are jets and two are g&d types. Picken made it through desire - despite limitations. Jong can do the same - despite poor kicking skills.

Certain players just grab you because you can see something in them. They have that X factor you can relate to and you take a liking to them. It's one of the joys of watching the game. I haven't seen a Dogs flag, but geez I've taken a lot out of watching players like Foster, Morris, Libba Snr, Kennedy, McKenna, Wheeler & co get the best out of themselves. Caleb Daniel is another favourite now that I think of it.

Those players are easy to relate to. They have their limitations, yet they make up for it with desire. As a fan, that's something I can relate to. More so than the natural star - much as I love them, too!

Jong is one of those guys I tend to ride every bump and kick with. There's just something about him that makes me especially want him to succeed. I really, really like the kid. I think it's simply that combination of imperfection and desire. Maybe the "underdog" factor. It's hard to explain.
    You explained it perfectly Webby. Terrific post - particularly like the mention of Micky McKenna, now there was a limited player who gave his all. A few other favourites of mine over the years who fit the bill would be Michael Ford, Daniel Cross, Josh Mahoney, Matthew Dent and Michael Egan, although the granddaddy of them all would have to be Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jong wants to add another dimension to his game

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    My fav 5 Dogs players are Murphy, Bont, Stringer, Picken and Jong. Three are jets and two are g&d types. Picken made it through desire - despite limitations. Jong can do the same - despite poor kicking skills.

Certain players just grab you because you can see something in them. They have that X factor you can relate to and you take a liking to them. It's one of the joys of watching the game. I haven't seen a Dogs flag, but geez I've taken a lot out of watching players like Foster, Morris, Libba Snr, Kennedy, McKenna, Wheeler & co get the best out of themselves. Caleb Daniel is another favourite now that I think of it.

Those players are easy to relate to. They have their limitations, yet they make up for it with desire. As a fan, that's something I can relate to. More so than the natural star - much as I love them, too!

Jong is one of those guys I tend to ride every bump and kick with. There's just something about him that makes me especially want him to succeed. I really, really like the kid. I think it's simply that combination of imperfection and desire. Maybe the "underdog" factor. It's hard to explain.
    I think you are going to love Dunkley. He's like a cat and can't take a backward step.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    You explained it perfectly Webby. Terrific post - particularly like the mention of Micky McKenna, now there was a limited player who gave his all. A few other favourites of mine over the years who fit the bill would be Michael Ford, Daniel Cross, Josh Mahoney, Matthew Dent and Michael Egan, although the granddaddy of them all would have to be Libba.
    John Moylan, Alan McConnell, Mick Kelly, Brian Cordy, Alby Smedts, Darren Baxter. The biggest psycho I saw play for us was Andt Preston. He only played two games but I can remember him sitting on his opponent and banging his head into the ground when the ball was at the other end of the ground.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite