Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Freedom to fly

Post Thanks / Like

Freedom to fly

link

2015 Sutton Medallist Easton Wood credits senior coach Luke Beveridge for granting him the freedom that saw Wood take the most intercept marks ever recorded in AFL/VFL history.

The image of Easton Wood flying across the front of a pack to intercept another opposition forward thrust has almost become synonymous with the Western Bulldogs 2015 campaign.

Wood took 75 intercept marks in the 2015 home and away season, a number that was a major factor in the 26-year old winning his first Club best and fairest award and earning All-Australian selection for the first time in his eight year career.

Speaking to Luke Darcy at Tuesday night’s Season Launch, Wood said it was the backing of Beveridge that has enabled him to take his game a to a new level.

“[He told me] just to back your instinct in - that’s certainly something that Bevo has brought in – a positive mindset in defence,” Wood said.

“Rather than going out there to negate a player… just go out there and win the ball.”

Wood was able to establish some continuity in his game in 2015 after an injury plagued 2014 season, and in news that will delight Bulldogs fans, he has spent the summer working to improve again.

“I’ve been certainly looking to maintain that consistency but there’s elements of my game that I’m still looking to improve.

“Playing alongside guys like Bob (Murphy), JJ (Jason Johannisen) and Matthew Boyd, they’re such good users of the ball and help take us forward when we’ve got the ball – I’m really looking to improve that offensive side of my game as well.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freedom to fly

Now it seems incredible that a few years ago, it was uncertain if Wood would make it at AFL level. It is a credit to him that he has developed his game to a point where he can make the most of his incredible natural athleticism. What leap he has on him and what a turn of speed. Thank you Bevo for realising that players natural instincts are so important; to be nurtured rather than controlled. Truly attack is now the best form of Bulldog defence. Thank you New Zealand for such a wonderful gift to Aussie Rules and the Bulldogs.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheeler and Wallace as coaches both believed in letting players do their own thing and back themselves.
    It's a proven winner they didn't get to that level not using natural instincts.
    Malthouse was the opposite. You had a role and don't step outside of it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Never realized he broke a record in 2015. He had his doubters on here! Well done Easton.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing stat!
    Well done Wood.