Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs set to deploy WA recruit Marcus Adams against Fremantle

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...363176dcdf9624

THE Western Bulldogs are confident Marcus Adams can thrive in a baptism of fire against Fremantle as the WA recruit firms for a dream Round 1 debut.

Adams, the younger brother of one-punch attack victim Luke Adams, is set to be rewarded for his impressive pre-season form with a berth in the Dogs’ backline at Etihad Stadium next Sunday.

Bulldogs defensive coach Rohan Smith said he had no doubt the 22-year-old West Perth product had the ability to stay composed and hold his own against a Dockers outfit that ranks as one of the most experienced in the competition.

“His athleticism is just amazing. He can spoil, he’s quick, and he’s quite agile as well for a big guy,” Smith said of Adams, who was pick 35 in last year’s national draft.

“He came in a little bit raw, just having played in the WAFL, and didn’t really know what to expect.

“One thing that Marcus does is he gives himself every opportunity by the way he plays and the way he prepares.

“I haven’t seen a young kid prepare the way he does with his body and his off-field stuff like his diet — he’s just meticulous about that.

“And it serves him well on the field. He’s made some big inroads. We’re confident he can handle the rigours of AFL footy, whether that’s Round 1 or Round 10.”

The 192cm Adams played all three of his side’s NAB Challenge games, including a commendable effort against Collingwood’s Travis Cloke last week.

Smith said the Dogs’ coaching unit had been paying close attention to Fremantle’s fleet of small forwards across the pre-season, including Hayden Ballantyne, Michael Walters and Harley Bennell.

“They’re quality players and we have to play the right way,” Smith said. “We can’t just be totally offensive. We have to have a defensive attitude against such quality opposition, because if you give them 2m, they’ll take it and kick a goal.”

The Bulldogs were the surprise packet of 2015, riding a free-flowing, fast-paced style to an unlikely finals berth.

Though bracing for a more attacking Dockers, Smith said the WA side would provide one of the sternest tests of the Dogs’ running game.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs set to deploy WA recruit Marcus Adams against Fremantle

I remember my constant muttering so last year about how important the draft was to nail. Collins & Dunkley are near cents to make the grade on exposure to date, and Adams to debut in round one against a very strong opponent is another tick for last year's draft. Bevo's (& MCs) selection on form and fitness irrespective of anything else may well be continuing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think Adams deserves a round one spot, and probably a spot for a couple of weeks after that on preseason form. Whilst he has his weaknesses in quick disposal he'll hopefully adjust to the grade.

It's going to be really interesting to see whether he can cut the mustard. Massive draft get if he can.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasnt looked out of depth so exciting stuff. Got a feeling Dalrymple has nailed another draft.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Hasnt looked out of depth so exciting stuff. Got a feeling Dalrymple has nailed another draft.
    Adam's marking and athleticism will have opponents thinking we have two Eastons.
    We need to secure Dalrymple's services. I've forgiven him for Christian Howard. Other clubs will start offering him serious money.
    Footscray Football Republic.

7. Likes chef, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Adam's marking and athleticism will have opponents thinking we have two Eastons.
    We need to secure Dalrymple's services. I've forgiven him for Christian Howard. Other clubs will start offering him serious money.
    Have you also forgiven him for the other 8 players that he drafted that were no good?

Here is my assessment:

Our Pick Overall Pick Player Games Played Can Play Total Picks
    1 14 Christian Howard 20 No 1
    2 31 Jason Tutt 26 No 2
    4 63 Lukas Markovic 29 No 3
    5 76 Shane Thorne 0 No 4
    1 22 Mitchell Wallis 76 Yes 5
    2 41 Thomas Liberatore 77 Yes 6
    4 74 Jayden Schofield 7 No 7
    5 88 Zephaniah Skinner 8 No 8
    1 17 Clay Smith 34 Yes 9
    2 39 Michael Talia 30 No 10
    3 49 Daniel Pearce 6 No 11
    3 57 Tory Dickson 57 Yes 12
    1 5 Jake Stringer 50 Yes 13
    1 6 Jackson Macrae 55 Yes 14
    1 21 Nathan Hrovat 26 Yes 15
    3 49 Lachlan Hunter 36 Yes 16
    3 50 Joshua Prudden 4 ? 17
    1 4 Marcus Bontempelli 37 Yes 18
    3 42 Matthew Fuller 0 No 19
    4 60 Mitch Honeychurch 14 Yes 20
    2 26 Toby McLean 4 Yes 21
    2 27 Lukas Webb 10 Yes 22
    2 39 Declan Hamilton 0 Unknown 23
    3 45 Bailey Dale 10 Yes 24
    3 46 Caleb Daniel 10 Yes 25
    4 62 Zaine Cordy 2 ? 26
    2 25 Josh Dunkley 0 Unknown 27
    2 26 Kieran Collins 0 Unknown 28
    2 35 Marcus Adams 0 Unknown 29
    3 48 Bailey Williams 0 Unknown 30
    Total No 9
    Yes 14
    Unknown 5
    Maybe 2

So far half the players he has picked have made it. Don't get me wrong this is normal for recruiters, or maybe better than normal as I haven't assessed other recruiters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tbf you could upgrade Talia and Tutt to unlikely, they are both capable just haven't come through for an assortment of reasons. Schofield was capable also.

The only players there that were no chance were Thorne, Markovic (although was a very average stop gap) and Fuller.

You could also add in the rookie list which would have some good prospects on it.

Certainly his recent form is a very strong indication we should sign him up.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Tbf you could upgrade Talia and Tutt to unlikely, they are both capable just haven't come through for an assortment of reasons. Schofield was capable also.

The only players there that were no chance were Thorne, Markovic (although was a very average stop gap) and Fuller.

You could also add in the rookie list which would have some good prospects on it.

Certainly his recent form is a very strong indication we should sign him up.
    No Doubt Dal has done a great job, I just wanted to point out there are also plenty of misses, just like any recruiter. Certainly having early picks and some good Father sons have helped him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Makes for an interesting analysis, Most of his earlier year picks were no good up until Jake Stringer (Smith the exception),
    then pretty much all after that have been good.

Keeping in mind that f/s picks in Wallis and Liber picked themselves and Tory I think was Shannon Grant's work that got him to the club.

Stark turnaround in success rate at that point. Makes you wonder what changed? When did J McCartney start?

Post Thanks / Like

Back on topic I think for Adams to start as a the main key defender ahead of Roberts, Hamling etc, is a massive tick of approval from the coaches, either that or they have very little faith in the others.

I really hope he does well as he has something that the others don't and that is speed and strength.
    Roberts reads the play well but is slow and not very strong, hamling is reasonably quick but not strong.

Only worry is he will be under immense pressure against Freo. They don't play like other sides and will try to hurt us on the counter attack with their smalls. There will be a lot of play where he will be looking around for match ups or potentially getting caught out of position. Also add the physical pressure they will apply on his slightly suss disposal and decision making.

Best of luck to him though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Makes for an interesting analysis, Most of his earlier year picks were no good up until Jake Stringer (Smith the exception),
    then pretty much all after that have been good.

Keeping in mind that f/s picks in Wallis and Liber picked themselves and Tory I think was Shannon Grant's work that got him to the club.

Stark turnaround in success rate at that point. Makes you wonder what changed? When did J McCartney start?
    The earliest pick pre-Stringer was Howard at 14, all the others were higher. Then we got picks 4,5,6. Time will tell with the others.

Sorry to take the thread off topic.

Post Thanks / Like

I felt sorry for Darymple as he basically had a hand tied behind his back with only being part time .
    The club stuffed up major there . Talking to a swans recruiter who informed me they had recruiters at all the VFL practice matches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Back on topic I think for Adams to start as a the main key defender ahead of Roberts, Hamling etc, is a massive tick of approval from the coaches, either that or they have very little faith in the others.

I really hope he does well as he has something that the others don't and that is speed and strength.
    Roberts reads the play well but is slow and not very strong, hamling is reasonably quick but not strong.

Only worry is he will be under immense pressure against Freo. They don't play like other sides and will try to hurt us on the counter attack with their smalls. There will be a lot of play where he will be looking around for match ups or potentially getting caught out of position. Also add the physical pressure they will apply on his slightly suss disposal and decision making.

Best of luck to him though.
    I think Hamling will play. Roberts doesn't seem to have had a great preseason. Not sure if he had an injury, or surgery that held him back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Have you also forgiven him for the other 8 players that he drafted that were no good?

Here is my assessment:

Our Pick Overall Pick Player Games Played Can Play Total Picks
    1 14 Christian Howard 20 No 1
    2 31 Jason Tutt 26 No 2
    4 63 Lukas Markovic 29 No 3
    5 76 Shane Thorne 0 No 4
    1 22 Mitchell Wallis 76 Yes 5
    2 41 Thomas Liberatore 77 Yes 6
    4 74 Jayden Schofield 7 No 7
    5 88 Zephaniah Skinner 8 No 8
    1 17 Clay Smith 34 Yes 9
    2 39 Michael Talia 30 No 10
    3 49 Daniel Pearce 6 No 11
    3 57 Tory Dickson 57 Yes 12
    1 5 Jake Stringer 50 Yes 13
    1 6 Jackson Macrae 55 Yes 14
    1 21 Nathan Hrovat 26 Yes 15
    3 49 Lachlan Hunter 36 Yes 16
    3 50 Joshua Prudden 4 ? 17
    1 4 Marcus Bontempelli 37 Yes 18
    3 42 Matthew Fuller 0 No 19
    4 60 Mitch Honeychurch 14 Yes 20
    2 26 Toby McLean 4 Yes 21
    2 27 Lukas Webb 10 Yes 22
    2 39 Declan Hamilton 0 Unknown 23
    3 45 Bailey Dale 10 Yes 24
    3 46 Caleb Daniel 10 Yes 25
    4 62 Zaine Cordy 2 ? 26
    2 25 Josh Dunkley 0 Unknown 27
    2 26 Kieran Collins 0 Unknown 28
    2 35 Marcus Adams 0 Unknown 29
    3 48 Bailey Williams 0 Unknown 30
    Total No 9
    Yes 14
    Unknown 5
    Maybe 2

So far half the players he has picked have made it. Don't get me wrong this is normal for recruiters, or maybe better than normal as I haven't assessed other recruiters.
    Yes. Apart from Howard, his dud picks were lowly picks and his successes and yet-to-be-determined picks look good, damn good.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His record looks a lot better when you consider his first draft (4 players) he was only doing the job part time. Since going full time I dare say he's well ahead of recruitment averages.

Getting Dahl & JJ as rookies in a horrible, horrible draft certainly helps his outlook too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers