Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge ...

Agree with this. Biggs, Suckling - and to a lesser extent M.Boyd, quite often look in board and kick on the 45 degree angle to a player in the middle of the ground, which opens up the play enormously (whereas Bob and JJ could break the play open by running through there).

It can be a high risk, high reward type of play. I hope we continue to have the confidence to go there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Biggs is a good kick - he takes risks with his kicks which can result in the occasional clanger but it also opens up the game for us. I think he can help partially fill the Bob breach in terms of damaging disposal off half-back. I'm also confident that Webb can come in and take over the previous Biggs support role.

JJ is a different story with his line-breaking ability - we don't really have anyone on our list capable of replicating his fantastic run and carry. Williams and Lynch look like two long-term prospects in this area but they aren't ready.

Kicking efficiency is a bit of a misnomer - Richmond has a high in kicking efficiency because they chip it from one half-back line to the other like a crab, which is not much help when you're getting the ball inside forward 50 less than 10 times in a half.
    Easton Wood at full flight is not a bad replacement for JJ, although not as evasive, a bit stronger in the upper body.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Easton Wood at full flight is not a bad replacement for JJ.
    Kicking the ball is one thing that Easton does poorly.. It's one of JJ's greatest strengths.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to be well organised to cover both Bob and JJ. Massive hole and a huge challenge for the coach, for sure.
    This is one of Luke's biggest challenges as a coach so far I would say. Captain down, serious outs in the side.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Kicking the ball is one thing that Easton does poorly.. It's one of JJ's greatest strengths.
    I think you're exaggerating. Whilst not as good as JJ, Easton's kicking is fine when he passes. It's improved dramatically although he sometimes has a tendency to bomb when he is forward of centre.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I think you're exaggerating. Whilst not as good as JJ, Easton's kicking is fine when he passes. It's improved dramatically although he sometimes has a tendency to bomb when he is forward of centre.
    I think so too. And you ARE always right!
    Accuracy stat please stat boffins.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 21-04-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    He is good in a Dale Morris sense, can safely pass it to a free man, but it isn't an attacking weapon going forward, in that as stated he bombs it or kicks helicopters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I think so too. And you ARE always right!
    Accuracy stat please stat boffins.
    In the 41 times he's had it in his two games this season he's going at 85.7%. I would say a lot of those have been handed off to Biggs, Murph, JJ et al.

I tend to agree that the ball can take on strange shapes when he kicks it long at times.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    In the 41 times he's had it in his two games this season he's going at 85.7%. I would say a lot of those have been handed off to Biggs, Murph, JJ et al.

I tend to agree that the ball can take on strange shapes when he kicks it long at times.
    Mantis is correct, they both deliver the ball differently and in no way is Wood's kicking a replacement for JJ's.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He is good in a Dale Morris sense, can safely pass it to a free man, but it isn't an attacking weapon going forward, in that as stated he bombs it or kicks helicopters.
    Fair comment Mantis. A few years ago, even when he did have the short option he would cannon the thing and hail mary into the forward line. My couch used to take a beating in those days because of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this was about Luke Beveridge ?
    Bring back the biff

12. Likes AndrewP6, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bevo has been copping some unfair criticism recently. After the first two weeks, when he acknowledged that he had the structure and game plan wrong, we have won 9 and lost 4. He is the most successful coach the club has ever had. Most wins, highest win/loss percentage, most grand finals. I think that’s pretty strong evidence that he knows what he is doing and vindicates his game structures and selection choices.

The article below was published in May so is a little out of date. But gives some excellent insights.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-...ence/102330980
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, GVGjr, macca, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Channel 7 reporting Bevo broke his hand at half time of the swans game when he punched the whiteboard!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Thanks Mofra, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Channel 7 reporting Bevo broke his hand at half time of the swans game when he punched the whiteboard!
    That's a strange name for Lachie McNeil.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That's a strange name for Lachie McNeil.
    So Rampe was right to get acquitted as he didn't cause the concussion
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post