Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Stringer - What do we want from him and how many goals for 2016

Jakes 6'4 (192 cm) in every single official height recording I've seen not 6'2 (188 cm).

Carry on...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringers being wasted with his back to the goal. Would love to see him get more of a stint off half back.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Jakes 6'4 (192 cm) in every single official height recording I've seen not 6'2 (188 cm).

Carry on...
    192cm is 6 foot, 3.5 inches according to my research.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any one calling for Stringer to be dropped has got rocks in their head. He created a few goals and was the only tall player in the forward line up against Tarrant 196, Thompson 193, and all we did was kick it above his head. Stringer had no option but to try and fly for the mark.

The guy is a gun and trying to do it all himself.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Happy Days, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Any one calling for Stringer to be dropped has got rocks in their head. He created a few goals and was the only tall player in the forward line up against Tarrant 196, Thompson 193, and all we did was kick it above his head. Stringer had no option but to try and fly for the mark.

The guy is a gun and trying to do it all himself.
    Jake won't be dropped. He just needs more help in the forward line, such as Tommy Boyd or Redders, and better delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake needs to use his body to better effect in marking contests. What's the use in being abnormally strong if he just shirks the contest when the ball's in the air? Like Tarzan when the ball is on the deck, like Jane when it's in the air - difficult to comprehend. Even if he doesn't have the mitts to take the mark consistently, if he can occupy the space where the ball drops and control the ball to ground then he's a red hot chance to create a goal for the team.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    Jake needs to use his body to better effect in marking contests. What's the use in being abnormally strong if he just shirks the contest when the ball's in the air? Like Tarzan when the ball is on the deck, like Jane when it's in the air - difficult to comprehend. Even if he doesn't have the mitts to take the mark consistently, if he can occupy the space where the ball drops and control the ball to ground then he's a red hot chance to create a goal for the team.
    That's too simple for Jake - The Package - Stringer.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Redpath is not the answer and should be delisted at the end of the year. Campbell forward as much as possible until Boyd returns.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack Redpath is not the answer and should be delisted at the end of the year. Campbell forward as much as possible until Boyd returns.
    Must be really poor in the VFL.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's too simple for Jake - The Package - Stringer.
    Except I get the impression that Jake is fairly coachable, and they're coachable skills. He's not the package whilst being inept in the air.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Redpath may not be the answer but until Boyd can come back I would still give Redpath a shot.
    I think there could be some merit in moving Jake to Murphy's role. Didn't Jake play have back at Junior level (I could be wrong here), Jake has some after burners if he needs them and some evasive skills but how's his field kicking?
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Must be really poor in the VFL.
    Not at all he's a solid contributor at VFL level. It's similar to state level cricket. Some players really struggle between state cricket and playing for their country. It's only one more step up but the gap is considerable.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Redpath may not be the answer but until Boyd can come back I would still give Redpath a shot.
    I think there could be some merit in moving Jake to Murphy's role. Didn't Jake play have back at Junior level (I could be wrong here), Jake has some after burners if he needs them and some evasive skills but how's his field kicking?
    I've typically been a believer that you pick the players in the best form and while Redpath hasn't been knocking the door down I do think your logic has some merit. Sometimes you just have to thrown a player into the deep end especially when someone like Redpath has played good footy at the senior level before. The MC should know best if he has it in him to rise to the challenge and make the most of the opportunity.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all he's a solid contributor at VFL level. It's similar to state level cricket. Some players really struggle between state cricket and playing for their country. It's only one more step up but the gap is considerable.
    Basically it is the gap from VFL to AFL which big. Good VFL players doesn't mean good AFL player. Brett Goodes is a good example.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Basically it is the gap from VFL to AFL which big. Good VFL players doesn't mean good AFL player. Brett Goodes is a good example.
    Yeah I think so Eastie, although a good VFL can still provide a stop gap (Goodes 22 games) or be a role player (Dylan Addison 88 games).