Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why we should never, ever trade away future draft picks...

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    In America (whose draft, cap & trade systems we've copied), trades are done for future draft picks with caveats such as "traded for LA's future first round pick - top 5 protected." for example.

That then protects the Hawthorn's from themselves.

As with tanking, it amazes me that the AFL collectively copies the Americans' systems, but doesn't learn from the Yanks' mistakes, experiences and subsequent fixes. It's borderline ignorant.
    Yeah, understand the protection. But just wanted clarification on what Saints would get in return. GVG believes it would be the next year's pick regardless of where it is.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, understand the protection. But just wanted clarification on what Saints would get in return. GVG believes it would be the next year's pick regardless of where it is.
    That'd be very harsh on St Kilda, they'd give up 2016 and not get anything until 2018.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That'd be very harsh on St Kilda, they'd give up 2016 and not get anything until 2018.
    Yeah, I think you just let teams cop it if they fall off the cliff. It's not like it was unexpected for Hawthorn to slip down the ladder eventually.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, I think you just let teams cop it if they fall off the cliff. It's not like it was unexpected for Hawthorn to slip down the ladder eventually.
    That, or drop this all together. It's the work of the devil in these extreme cases. GCS & GWS got to plunder drafts, yet again, already having multiple academy prospects last year. St Kilda who may open their window whilst we are in ours, get a huge boost with a possible top 3-5 pick. That's great for them, but not those competing against them.

I'd like to know if the AFEL will review it and make public whether it's actually good thing for the game, or not. So far Geelong keep throwing away futures to top up, and it's facilitated trades sure, but has the market price of players involved in higher end trades gone above what market value should be. Yes, the market sets the value, but they regulate the conditions of the market and it'd be nice to know if it's been a good thing or not. Free agency for all its hoopla, is a very small thing despite the promises and seems to mainly make stronger teams stronger.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should just let teams live with their mistakes. You can't legislate against stupidity.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think we should just let teams live with their mistakes. You can't legislate against stupidity.
    Ordinarily id agree, but they've only just introduced it. Soon enough to scrap it, if it's not best for the entire comp.

Post Thanks / Like

We shouldn't consider protected or unprotected future picks just because it happens in other sports. It's a bit of American BS that doesn't suit or competition which is unique with vastly different challenges to most other sports.

The NBA teams for example have a small roster and worldwide talent pool that they can potentially recruit from. The clubs ability to spend money to address gaps on the list is vastly different to the challenges our club face. San Antonio Spurs have never had a top 20 picks for years in fact the last time they had an early draft pick was 1997 when they landed the number 1 pick. During this period the club has been a serious contender nearly every year because they have found away our recruiting outside of the draft.

I think the balance we have in recruiting and trading is more than adequate to allow a good blend of trades and drafts picks allowing players to move around the competition.

I don't believe having trading of protected draft picks would benefit the competition in the slightest
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Last year we obviously traded 12 for 20 & 21. Dunkley & Collins who will be guns. The finer details also included trading our 3rd rounder this year for Carlton's fourth.

They would not have expected us to be in the final 4. So we are getting their pick 59. But because we pushing deep, they will receive pick 51-54. A very minor drop in deed. We already won from this trade, but because the gap is so narrow in a only a 5-8 pick drop down, we've really, really done well and even better. Sorry Carlton.
    Carlton got Charlie Curnow with our pick 12, who I rate massively. We need Collins to come through for this trade to be a definitive win.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Carlton got Charlie Curnow with our pick 12, who I rate massively. We need Collins to come through for this trade to be a definitive win.
    Fair enough. If we take Dal at face value, we wouldn't have selected Curnow if we kept 12.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. If we take Dal at face value, we wouldn't have selected Curnow if we kept 12.
    I completely agree with our rationale for trading down to get 2 picks in the top 21, and who we targeted and got with those picks - Curnow is basically a hybrid size tall mid/forward, and we do already have a couple of handy types in Stringer and Bontempelli in similar roles. But I do think Curnow will develop into a serious player - Kouta comparisons have already commenced and I can see the resemblance.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know if the AFEL will review it and make public whether it's actually good thing for the game, or not
    By what measure? It's a very subjective thing
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    By what measure? It's a very subjective thing
    The measure they had in mind when agreeing to change the rules, whatever they may be. That is to say, have the improvements projected or hypothesised in the system change by the AFEL materialised or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I completely agree with our rationale for trading down to get 2 picks in the top 21, and who we targeted and got with those picks - Curnow is basically a hybrid size tall mid/forward, and we do already have a couple of handy types in Stringer and Bontempelli in similar roles. But I do think Curnow will develop into a serious player - Kouta comparisons have already commenced and I can see the resemblance.
    They both have curly hair?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen Curnow play in senior footy yet, I'm looking forward to it. Carlton are starting to build an impressive young list of players with Cripps and the big kid they took at #1 last year, Wetering is it?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.