Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why we should never, ever trade away future draft picks...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    looks like the afl journo's are making use of forums for their work again

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-1...or-giant-draft
    Man I/we should copyright my threads. They could at least recognise WOOF.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    looks like the afl journo's are making use of forums for their work again

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-1...or-giant-draft

Hi Peter.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Man I/we should copyright my/our threads.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These days I put on my tax return- Banking Strategist/Freelance writer for Herald-Sun, The Age, AFL.com.au

There's a couple of journalists who are well know parasites of other people ideas on footy forums.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On topic it's too simplistic to say you should never trade future picks. In fact the perceived value of draft picks far outweighs the value of players once selected.

Look at some of the recent high picks, Tom Boyd was unanimous pick #1, now you have "experts" saying you wouldn't trade a valuable first round pick for him. When Melbourne gave up pick 2 for pick 9 and Dom Tyson they were criticized for giving up a certain superstar in pick 2 for pick 9 and some no name dud, ignoring completely that Tyson was the guaranteed superstar you wouldn't lose by giving up pick 3 only 3 years earlier. Aish was supposed to be the player you'd give up a gun for to get an early enough pick snare him, then 2 years later isn't worth 2 second round picks.

Using our club, we could've traded our future first round pick every year from 2005 to 2008 and been in no danger of missing out on a good player in doing so. Draft picks are only as valuable as the selection you make with them, and often that selection doesn't work out.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

8. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    On topic it's too simplistic to say you should never trade future picks. In fact the perceived value of draft picks far outweighs the value of players once selected.

Look at some of the recent high picks, Tom Boyd was unanimous pick #1, now you have "experts" saying you wouldn't trade a valuable first round pick for him. When Melbourne gave up pick 2 for pick 9 and Dom Tyson they were criticized for giving up a certain superstar in pick 2 for pick 9 and some no name dud, ignoring completely that Tyson was the guaranteed superstar you wouldn't lose by giving up pick 3 only 3 years earlier. Aish was supposed to be the player you'd give up a gun for to get an early enough pick snare him, then 2 years later isn't worth 2 second round picks.

Using our club, we could've traded our future first round pick every year from 2005 to 2008 and been in no danger of missing out on a good player in doing so. Draft picks are only as valuable as the selection you make with them, and often that selection doesn't work out.
    The way we've been going I'd be hesitant to trade pick 35 for anyone short of Buddy

10. Likes bulldogtragic, soupman, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Double post
    Quoted for truth!

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread, and it poses a question that in my view won't be answered for a few years, and then not answered again for another few.

Teams which make bold decision like the Pies did need to be prepared to offer up something reasonable in the forward year for trade to find themselves in the late first round or early second round if they want to keep their lists improving. I guess that means just like any recruiting strategy, giving away forward picks needs to be viewed as part of a long term recruitment strategy. Due to their age Aish and Treloar weren't going to pay immediate dividends and just like us, having them develop with other young players developing is the real pay off.

I always think predictions on form, aside from a few clearly pox teams, this early in the season are irrelevant. Collingwood in bad form attracts the same level of hyperbole as Collingwood in good form and after four rounds this is no different.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not addressing the OP strictly, but on Collingwood, they are on track to have now given up picks 5 & 23 this year (7 & 26 last year for Treloar & Aish). Treloar now looks to have cost picks 5 & 7. I think that makes this trade the most expensive from a pick/player perspective behind only The Judd Deal.

That's a really huge impediment and hit for them being able to rebuild effectively. GWS get another top 5 picks from Collingwood, plus probably a first rounder for McCarthy, plus their natural first rounder and any other decent trades. That's up to another 4 first rounders for GWS this year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That's turned into a silly price to pay for Trealor. I rate Trealor but not two first round picks worth. That's Judd at his peak price.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's turned into a silly price to pay for Trealor. I rate Trealor but not two first round picks worth. That's Judd at his peak price.
    Yep, taking the names out, Carlton gave up pick 4 (of one year) followed by pick 3 (later year) and pick 20. Treloar costs picks 5 & 7. I think Judd at his peak is worth more than the pick 20 which separates the two trades. Arguably, both could have or did stunt the clubs rebuild. A part from that, handing GWS two top 7 picks isn't doing the rest of us any favours.

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar is an absolute jet but A grade mids can be found outside the top 10 generally - look at Sydney's group for example (Parker, JK, Hannebery all guns and no where near the top 10 in their draft years). Giving away 2 of them is a huge cost in terms of opportunity. What else could they have returned with those picks. Perhaps 2 players of Treloar's quality. Perhaps they turn it into a key forward they're crying out for?

Obviously they'll get great service from Treloar but for his type of player, the cost will end up too great.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dangerfield - Picks 9, 28 & Dean Gore
    Treloar - Picks 5 & 7

If Tom Boyd is irresponsible trading because of the salary component, the Adam Treloar trade is irresponsible for giving up more than the Dangerfield trade and just less than the Judd trade. So let's see Barrett line up Collingwood, Eddie & Treloar.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood are locked in their final ladder spot, virtually now. So this is the cost:

Treloar: Pick 7 2015, Pick 7 2016
    Aish: Pick 26 2015, Pick 28 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood are locked in their final ladder spot, virtually now. So this is the cost:

Treloar: Pick 7 2015, Pick 7 2016
    Aish: Pick 26 2015, Pick 28 2016
    It's somewhat more about perceived value for Collingwood because they knew what the potential downside was for them when they made the deals.

I think Brisbane have come up short (again) on this deal for Aish and of course GWS have come up trumps (again) on the Treloar deal.
    The GWS strategy of drafting so many youngsters in their early years will continue to generously fund them going forward if clubs are prepared to use their credit card to acquire their talent.

I'd still be very cautious about trading future picks for players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"